[New Topic]   [Reply]
[Edit Profile]  [Edit Your Preferences]  [Search]
[Private Messages]  [Memberslist]  [FAQ]  [Login]
MUDII Forum Index » » General Chat » » Rant!
Author Rant!
royston
ranger

Posted: 23-02-2013 10:13   
Can anything be done about LONGCHAMP? Rightly or wrongly I regard that this forum exists for the benefit of bone fide players of MUDii and belongs to us all. I take great exception when it is hijacked by some advertising agency to promote dubious products. If I feel I need a pair of sunglasses (looks out of window), I am quite adept of going through the process of going to a shop and buying a pair. I do not need or even like LONGCHAMP stomping over our forum. Am I alone in this? There must be a way of linking the forum data to the game data to ensure that only real players can post stuff on the forum. I am all for anyone reading the posts.

In the meantime please ban LONGCHAMP.

View Profile of royston   Email royston      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Turrican
Arch-Wizard

Posted: 23-02-2013 16:36   
Quote:

On 23-02-2013 10:13, royston wrote:
There must be a way of linking the forum data to the game data to ensure that only real players can post stuff on the forum.

I like that idea (as I mentioned before), but it would also stop new players with problems logging on from posting.

Quote:

In the meantime please ban LONGCHAMP.

He can just make another account.

View Profile of Turrican      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
royston
ranger

Posted: 25-02-2013 12:16   
Quote:

On 23-02-2013 16:36, Turrican wrote:

I like that idea (as I mentioned before), but it would also stop new players with problems logging on from posting.

He can just make another account.

I take your points on board and can see what I am pleading for here is probably not practical. I seem to develop a ?Victor Meldrew? syndrome when people waste my life trying to sell me stuff I do not need and do not want especially when they are sneaky about it. Some representative phones me every day on my mobile to in an effort to change my supplier from Virgin to O2. Not only am I very happy with Virgin, thank you very much, but I know for a fact that O2 does not work from inside my home. But I can see I am a lone voice here. I was hoping for some support from fellow mortals. Forget I said anything.

View Profile of royston   Email royston      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Armand
explorer

Posted: 25-02-2013 15:03   
Quote:
But I can see I am a lone voice here. I was hoping for some support from fellow mortals. Forget I said anything.

For what it's worth, I did notice your post, and the only reason I didn't add anything is that I couldn't think of any reasonable workarounds to Turrican's points that he raised.

View Profile of Armand      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Vulnax
explorer

Posted: 25-02-2013 18:44   
Same here Roy.

Some one suggested the Captcha system, but that only foils 'bots not real humans spamming their warez.....

Maybe a delay in approving new accounts would deter them if they didn't get access until a moderator / admin approved them they would move on ....

View Profile of Vulnax   Goto the website of Vulnax        Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Armand
explorer

Posted: 25-02-2013 21:07   
Captcha's not a bad idea - I can't imagine many spammers join forums manually when they can join thousands at a time with a program. It would probably get rid of most of them. And, these forums are phpBB which has a captcha plugin available, so it's a fairly easy fix.

View Profile of Armand      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Folly
pioneer

Posted: 26-02-2013 07:48   
I agree with Royston. O2 are rubbish!

View Profile of Folly      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
[New Topic]   [Reply]
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic

These forums may be read by anyone, but only registered mudII.co.uk
players may post. When posting, please refrain from behaviour
not tolerated in the game.

These forums are moderated.