[New Topic]   [Reply]
[Edit Profile]  [Edit Your Preferences]  [Search]
[Private Messages]  [Memberslist]  [FAQ]  [Login]
MUDII Forum Index » » General Chat » » Royston - Persona Inteview #2
Author Royston - Persona Inteview #2
kiwijock
cleric

Posted: 03-08-2013 04:18   
I was dashing upwards ? on towards my next personal goal, a rather large frozen and hairy beast rumoured to hide in the snows high on the north mountain. Suddenly something odd caught my eye.

Above cavern.
*Looking eastward, you see a place known as "coal room". It appears to be empty.
Looking westward, you see a place known as "viewing gallery". It contains Royston the surprised necromancer.
Looking upward, you see a place known as "snowdrift". It contains a statue3.

I had to ask?. so I headed went west???.

Interviewing gallery.
Royston the surprised necromancer is here carrying a staff0.
Kiwi the warlock says "Hi Royston - I?ve never seen the prefix ?surprised? before ?
Royston the surprised necromancer says "I chose it because I won last week's race?
Kiwi the warlock asks "aha ? so you were ?Nog???
Royston the surprised necromancer says "Anything with three letters *og is probably me?
Kiwi the warlock says "ok that?s handy to know?
Royston the surprised necromancer smiles.

We got talking??

Kiwi the warlock asks "however - on the subject of names - how did you choose Royston??
Royston the surprised necromancer says "It was an ancestor's family name irl.?
Kiwi the warlock says "neat reason! Do you use it (almost) exclusively ? I have seen old forum posts where you used other names but it?s obviously your main alter ego?
Royston the surprised necromancer says "I started off originally as Harry, but that was BHP (Before Harry Potter)?
Royston the surprised necromancer says "As distinct from AHP (Anno Hairy Potty)?
Kiwi the warlock asks "so - how long have you played MUD??
Royston the surprised necromancer says "Well I first started in about 1984 when Richard went public on a thing called Compuserve, I believe. But I had been playing Adventure games for some time......?
Royston the surprised necromancer says "...then I had problems with telephone bills and had to stop. I restarted about six years ago.?
Kiwi the warlock asks "and which adventure games did you like from that time??
Royston the surprised necromancer says "ADVENT of course was the first one. KING'S QUEST series and of course the MYST series. MYST III was the best. Now I also paly SKYRIM from time to time.?

Kiwi the warlock asks "so you had a 23 year 'gap' ??
Kiwi the warlock asks "how did you find it coming back to the land after all that time??
Royston the surprised necromancer says "I came back just to see if it was still there. And started on BL. I almost made Wiz within a few weeks but got clobbered by the real wizzes.?
Kiwi the warlock asks "so just the MUD(1) version??
Royston the surprised necromancer says "Yes Mud1?
Royston the surprised necromancer says "I was amazed what I remembered. Like the way into the Druids. It all came back.?
Kiwi the warlock asks " how did you get into MUD2??
Royston the surprised necromancer says "I think I just searched on the web and there it was?
Kiwi the warlock asks "did you play on .com or only on here??
Royston the surprised necromancer asks "Is that the US version??
Kiwi the warlock says "It runs out of Canada I think?
Royston the surprised necromancer says "Ah NO But I think I visited it once. I somehow have a hard copy of MUDspeke from them. It doesn't quite tally in a couple of places wi9th our version.?
Kiwi the warlock asks "What - to you - is the appeal of MUD? What fascinates you most??
Royston the surprised necromancer says "I have to admit exploration. Not just geography but also how to do things. Like I said somewhere else, I look for elegance now in what I achieve.?
Kiwi the warlock exclaims "so I don?t need to as if you are e hearts, clubs, diamonds or spades then!?
Kiwi the warlock says "not that I ever thought I had to?..?
Royston the surprised necromancer says "Spades - certainly.?
Kiwi the warlock asks "and what do you think your greatest feeling of satisfaction was when you discovered something new in the Land? any of the puzzles, a particular location or something else??
Royston the surprised necromancer says "Possibly working how to kill 22 rats in about four seconds. Though you get zero points for doing it my way. That does not matter to me. Its good in a bash.?
Royston the surprised necromancer says "Erm Possibly working out how to open the gateway into the dwarfs without having the obvious bit of kit. I am useless at the Mausoleum Puzzles. I can do the history ones but none of the mathematical ones."
Kiwi the warlock exclaims "I did wonder about the rats after last week?s bash..... you did it then didn?t you I have long suspected there was a quick way but not found it myself - you give me hope!?
Royston the surprised necromancer says "That's right. I had been working that for some time.?
Kiwi the warlock asks "so - what areas of the land currently still pose you problems - are there still areas you want to explore more??
Royston the surprised necromancer says "I thought I had done all the Redwoods. But I have reason to believe there may be a bit I have not discovered....?
Kiwi the warlock says "hehehe?
Kiwi the warlock says "we should go there sometime.......?
Royston the surprised necromancer says "Also I need to find my way up the pagoda. I have got through the blizzard a couple of times by fluke. But cant do it every time.?
Kiwi the warlock says "how about Giants - have you been there much? it opens so seldom?
Royston the surprised necromancer says "Giants. Yes been there a few times and have it all mapped out. It took me a while to find there were two ways in (and out). Hang on maybe there are more.?
Kiwi the warlock exclaims "aaarghh - I hope there are only Two!

Kiwi the warlock asks ?on a different note - What is the funniest thing you have discovered or seen on your
exploration of the land??
Royston the surprised necromancer says "That's difficult. I have laughed out loud genuinely a few times. I find it amusing watching mobiles fight each other. Some of Blib's antics can be very funny.?
Kiwi the warlock asks "such as??
Royston the surprised necromancer says "When I first started I did not realise he was an experienced player and he had me coaching him in swamping treasure, getting it wrong every time. It went on for about half an hour.?
OK, Kiwi the warlock laughs, out loud.
Kiwi the warlock asks "anything else??
Royston the surprised necromancer says "In retrospect the incident with Leak. It is well documented.?
Kiwi the warlock asks "for the benefit of those of us who do not know ? would you care to elaborate??
Royston the surprised necromancer says "Well it was in a bash and we wanted to open the gateway in to the dwarfs. Leak had the only bit of kit and, at the time, we only knew the well-known way. In real life Leak had gone off to the Fish and Chip shop and his persona would not release the kit. So we killed him?
Kiwi the warlock exclaims "ouch - he went afk - in a bash!!!?
Kiwi the warlock exclaims "deserved it!?
Royston the surprised necromancer says "Well I was Bash-general. My duty.?
OK, Kiwi the warlock rolls on the floor, laughing.

Kiwi the warlock asks "so what would your pet hate be in the game??
Royston the surprised necromancer says "I know it?s an essential part of the game. But being killed by another player, especially if I got to a decent level of persona.?
Kiwi the warlock asks "so I take it you do not run a secret PKer yourself then??
Royston the surprised necromancer says "Well I started to build up a PK persona a couple of times. But it is never long before players realise who it is and the idea just peters out.?
Royston the surprised necromancer says "I can never work out other people's personas.?

Kiwi the warlock asks "You haven't lived till you've died in MUD - a phrase we all know - but have you taken it to heart? you seem to have died a LOT of times - maybe more than most??
Royston the surprised necromancer says "I have died a lot and mostly to mobiles and nearly always because of a stupid error on my part. I would hate to count the number of times the dragon has killed me because I had not yet revealed the essential bit of kit from its hiding place about my person.?
Kiwi the warlock asks "ah - now you did say once that you should visit the dragon?s isle only once per life - do you still stand by that??
Royston the surprised necromancer says "No I have been dissuaded from that idea. I am far more confident about the dragon now I have developed a different strategy.?
Kiwi the warlock says "which we won?t ask you to detail.....?
Kiwi the warlock asks "do any of your DEAD DEAD deaths stand out as silliest or most embarrassing??
Royston the surprised necromancer says "I think those were I have just hung on and hung on with a low stamina, with the inevitable result.?

Kiwi the warlock asks "what?s the highest level you have got to in the game??
Kiwi the warlock says "MUD2 that is?
Royston the surprised necromancer says "I got to Warlock twice?
Kiwi the warlock asks "currently necro - how long this time??
Royston the surprised necromancer says "This is my second week I think. But I have been playing other personas?
Kiwi the warlock asks "how often DO you play??
Royston the surprised necromancer says "Most days. Though I do have periods when I don?t play at all, even bashes.?
Royston the surprised necromancer says "I try to pop into the tearoom late at night most nights. Just to see who is there - not to play?
Kiwi the warlock asks "talking of bashes - a lot of folk - well me at any rate - probably know you best as the most frequent Bash Reporter - how or why did you get into that??
Royston the surprised necromancer says "I don't know it just sort of happened and became a regular thing.?
Kiwi the warlock asks "you obviously enjoy doing it??
Royston the surprised necromancer says "To a certain extent or I would not do it. It takes a whole morning to get together.?
Royston the surprised necromancer says "But only bugbear is that it is only about me. I would be happier if I could report what others got up to.?

Kiwi the warlock asks "are there any changes you would like to see in the game??
Royston the surprised necromancer says "I think tinkering with it might be disastrous. I would perhaps like to see new areas open up.?
Kiwi the warlock asks "if YOU had the chance to design a new area - like the Wizzes can as a quest - what would you design??
Royston the surprised necromancer says "Something in ancient Egypt.?
Kiwi the warlock says "interesting?
Kiwi the warlock asks "any particular period or in general??
Royston the surprised necromancer says "Time of the pyramids. Certainly involving their priests and gods. It would have to be researched.?
Kiwi the warlock says "better start your wiz run now - I'd certainly like to try that quest?
Royston the surprised necromancer says "I don?t think I will ever be a Wiz. - Too careless.?
OK, Kiwi the warlock laughs, out loud.
Kiwi the warlock asks "in what way - can you give me an example??
Royston the surprised necromancer says "Need you ask? making the same silly mistakes over and over again.?
Royston the surprised necromancer says "The last one I put on the forum is typical.?
Kiwi the warlock asks "some of Royston?s antics, Riding Dragons etc.??
Royston the surprised necromancer says "No that was just a bit of fun?
Royston the surprised necromancer says "I meant not picking up a container, after so carefully finding a wafer and putting it inside.?
Kiwi the warlock exclaims "blush yes - and I agreed with you too!?
Royston the surprised necromancer says "I stopped shouting Wiz interference anyway when something inexplicable happens.?
Kiwi the warlock says "good idea?

Kiwi the warlock asks "have any other players influenced you, or been mentors to you??
Royston the surprised necromancer says "Armand to a certain extent; especially at the beginning even though he was one of the BL wizzes who had it in for me.?
Kiwi the warlock says "different time different places?
Royston the surprised necromancer nods.
Kiwi the warlock asks "how did he influence you??
Royston the surprised necromancer says "I think it was his attitude mostly. I did learn a lot though by accompanying him on some early bashes.?
Kiwi the warlock says "yes bashes are a good way to learn - have to agree?
Kiwi the warlock asks "how do you think we could get more folk to play??
Royston the surprised necromancer says "Well the main reason I do the reports is not so much for the benefit of existing players but more in the hope that someone new will read them and wish to be involved.
Kiwi the warlock exclaims "good on ya mate!?
Royston the surprised necromancer says ?Other than that just by spreading the word. We are up against stiff competition. Not just from other text MUDS, but also from some excellent graphic based single player games like skyrim.?

Kiwi the warlock asks "last question then - do you think anyone will ever coax Cenedra out of the Tea Room??
Royston the surprised necromancer says "I have tried?
Kiwi the warlock asks "but that is one exploration too far??
Royston the surprised necromancer nods.

Much time had passed since we paused, and now it was time for us to continue on our individual quests ? we parted company and headed off back to whatever it was we were planning??????.

[ This Message was edited by: kiwijock on 03-08-2013 04:20 ]

View Profile of kiwijock   Email kiwijock      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Miek
pioneer

Posted: 03-08-2013 08:03   
Great read. Cheers guys!

View Profile of Miek      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
kaif
cleric

Posted: 03-08-2013 11:57   
Another fun read! Thanks guys.

[ This Message was edited by: kaif on 03-08-2013 11:58 ]

View Profile of kaif      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Zordell