[Edit Profile]  [Edit Your Preferences]  [Search]
[Private Messages]  [Memberslist]  [FAQ]  [Login]
MUDII Forum Index » » General Chat » » Mausoleum puzzle driving me crazy
Author Mausoleum puzzle driving me crazy
Havoc
pioneer

Posted: 20-07-2015 14:32   
I'm working on this puzzle:

lion=4688, puma=11062, cheetah=5244432, panther=10285254, leopard=4490346, jaguar=1431034, ?=4714422

I have letter values that are totally consistent with all of the word values. Working backwards from the final value I don't get any sensible words at all!

Have you solved this puzzle? If you have can you tell me if I've made a mistake in my early working if I send you an email?

I've checked and rechecked and my working fits so well. I don't see any alternate solutions. The "22" of "4714422" is what is giving me problems because of the "2" in "11062" and the "32" of "5244432". Those two together don't leave me with any other choices.

View Profile of Havoc      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Armand
explorer

Posted: 20-07-2015 19:03   
I never solved this one, and according to my notes, I had the same sort of problem as you. In fact I came up with an answer that seemed to "make sense" but didn't work.

Unfortunately I only noted the failed answer, and none of my workings, and I can't remember how I got to that point.

View Profile of Armand      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Hawumph
Arch-Wizard

Posted: 20-07-2015 19:13   
I'm happy to look over your logic Havoc.

hawumph@mudii.co.uk

How 'bout them transparent dangling carrots? It's not fair to deny me, the cross-eyed bear that you gave to me. You otter know!!!

View Profile of Hawumph   Email Hawumph   Goto the website of Hawumph      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Havoc
pioneer

Posted: 20-07-2015 22:17   
Thanks, Hawumph. I'll take you up on that.

kiwijock
cleric

Posted: 20-07-2015 22:20   
Is this one from a different incarnation of MUD2? never seen it in play?

View Profile of kiwijock   Email kiwijock      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Havoc
pioneer

Posted: 20-07-2015 23:03   
Hmm. That's interesting. I had assumed hawumph's list online was accurate and that mine was wrong. I have one on my list that Hawumph does not and this puzzle is the only one on his list that I don't have.

Does anyone have this puzzle in their logs? I don't.

Havoc
pioneer

Posted: 21-07-2015 03:17   
I sent you my working Hawumph. I double checked it with computer programs and I'm pretty certain I've not made a mistake.

If I fudge one bit of the data then I get a nice looking answer. I'm interested to see if you see a flaw in my reasoning.

Havoc
pioneer

Posted: 21-07-2015 03:33   
The puzzle that you're missing from your list, Hawumph, is:

"DEMNOR, AEEGNORSTU, DEEELLNOSWWY, EEGHNRRSTU, BEFILRU, ADGIINORSTU, ?"

Has it been removed and replaced by the lion=xxx puzzle?

Hawumph
Arch-Wizard

Posted: 21-07-2015 06:45   
Thanks, I must update the list with that one (ps yes I do have that one, and solved it).

The list is one I accumulated over time, so it is entirely possible it (LION= etc) is out of the game now.

How 'bout them transparent dangling carrots? It's not fair to deny me, the cross-eyed bear that you gave to me. You otter know!!!

View Profile of Hawumph   Email Hawumph   Goto the website of Hawumph      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
kiwijock
cleric

Posted: 21-07-2015 08:36   
to be sure to be sure - the Irish one on Hawumph's list doesn’t show either these days

View Profile of kiwijock   Email kiwijock      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Hawumph
Arch-Wizard

Posted: 21-07-2015 08:52   
List updated.

It has grown from 44 to 48 puzzles.

No, not all are current on mudii.co.uk.

Yes, one looks exactly like another but varies by one number.

Happy solving

kiwijock
cleric

Posted: 23-07-2015 11:41   
Hawumph - some of us know answers to some Mausoleum puzzles thru snoops or thru 'trading' - there are a few that I have never been able to work backwards - even knowing the answer - to understand what the logic is. Would you be willing to share the logic if we email you the answer to a puzzle to explain HOW it is worked out? Anecdotally one that I know is only known to persons who have learned the answer from other people who knew the answer and no one knows HOW it works!

[ This Message was edited by: kiwijock on 23-07-2015 11:48 ]

Hawumph
Arch-Wizard

Posted: 23-07-2015 12:11   
Quote:

On 23-07-2015 11:41, kiwijock wrote:
Would you be willing to share the logic if we email you the answer to a puzzle to explain HOW it is worked out?

Try me. I might send a hint if I have one

Folly
pioneer

Posted: 23-07-2015 12:40   
Quote:

Hawumph - some of us know answers to some Mausoleum puzzles thru snoops or thru 'trading' - there are a few that I have never been able to work backwards - even knowing the answer - to understand what the logic is. Would you be willing to share the logic if we email you the answer to a puzzle to explain HOW it is worked out? Anecdotally one that I know is only known to persons who have learned the answer from other people who knew the answer and no one knows HOW it works!

Which question is it Kiwi?

View Profile of Folly      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Zalagar
pioneer

Posted: 04-10-2018 15:30   
Quote:

I have the same problem. There are some solutions I know through snoops, but I don't know how the answers make sense.

View Profile of Zalagar      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Zalagar
pioneer

Posted: 09-10-2018 05:09   
Quote:

On 20-07-2015 19:03, Armand wrote:
I never solved this one, and according to my notes, I had the same sort of problem as you. In fact I came up with an answer that seemed to "make sense" but didn't work.

Unfortunately I only noted the failed answer, and none of my workings, and I can't remember how I got to that point.

I've had similar experiences with other maus puzzles. I've come up with answers that seem to make sense, but didn't work.

View Profile of Zalagar      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
[New Topic]   [Reply]
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic

These forums may be read by anyone, but only registered mudII.co.uk
players may post. When posting, please refrain from behaviour
not tolerated in the game.

These forums are moderated.