[New Topic]   [Reply]
[Edit Profile]  [Edit Your Preferences]  [Search]
[Private Messages]  [Memberslist]  [FAQ]  [Login]
MUDII Forum Index » » General Chat » » Are other MUDs too complicated?
Author Are other MUDs too complicated?
Miek
pioneer

Posted: 22-11-2015 16:23   
Simplicity might sometimes be its own beauty.
I logged in to one of the more 'popular' MUDs and the tutorial took me two nights, it asked me to choose from 30 classes, 30 races and over 100 spells.

Is it too much? How many brand new players are these MUDs going to attract?
I know which one he would go for if I asked my young nephew to play this or Call of Duty

View Profile of Miek      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
kaif
cleric

Posted: 22-11-2015 21:03   
Quote:

Sometimes people equate variety and number/size with value. Not to digress too much, but why do womens razors have 5 blades? One or two ought to do the trick.

View Profile of kaif      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Hawumph
Arch-Wizard

Posted: 24-11-2015 19:42   
[quote]
On 22-11-2015 21:03, kaif wrote:
Quote:

why do womens razors have 5 blades? One or two ought to do the trick.

They were invented by a man with a grudge and a bad sense of proportion, the original plans had the blades much, much larger?

How 'bout them transparent dangling carrots? It's not fair to deny me, the cross-eyed bear that you gave to me. You otter know!!!

View Profile of Hawumph   Email Hawumph   Goto the website of Hawumph      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Miek
pioneer

Posted: 26-11-2015 09:34   
If simplicity is its own beauty then MUD players' humours shouldn't be so in-depth! Or perhaps our humours are complex because we're used to serene simplicity and thusforthwhatyamacallit is a nice change?

kaif
cleric

Posted: 30-11-2015 21:33   
Quote:

On 24-11-2015 19:42, Hawumph wrote:

They were invented by a man with a grudge and a bad sense of proportion, the original plans had the blades much, much larger?

Do you suppose he was related to the men who invented the corset and high heels?

Kaif (wondering if a woman invented the necktie )

View Profile of kaif      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Miek
pioneer

Posted: 06-12-2015 21:48   
Quote:

Do you suppose he was related to the men who invented the corset and high heels?

Kaif (wondering if a woman invented the necktie )

Cousins. Roxey and William.

Zalagar
cleric

Posted: 28-09-2018 14:47   
Quote:

On 22-11-2015 16:23, Miek wrote:
I logged in to one of the more 'popular' MUDs and the tutorial took me two nights, it asked me to choose from 30 classes, 30 races and over 100 spells.

Is it too much? How many brand new players are these MUDs going to attract?
I know which one he would go for if I asked my young nephew to play this or Call of Duty

I tried some of those years ago, and quickly lost interest. I understand wanting to give players lots of options in customizing their characters right from the start, but there IS such a thing as too many options. It can overwhelm some people.

Ease of use, I think, is a good quality for any MUD. There should be a system that's easy to understand to keep people interested. The best MUDs (such as MUDii) have such a system.

View Profile of Zalagar      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Zalagar
cleric

Posted: 04-10-2018 16:02   
Anyway, the best MUDs, I think, are ones that don't try to be D&D and instead focus on ease of use.

Cradle
cleric

Posted: 15-10-2018 17:31   
Death penalties in other muds is whats drives me away after a day. No thrill if death doesn't mean anything.

View Profile of Cradle   Email Cradle      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Snypster
cabalist

Posted: 07-11-2018 16:01   
I run a Cyberpunk roleplaying MOO with permanent death. It still gets the blood pumping and I don't even have any attachment to the characters!

View Profile of Snypster      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Zalagar
cleric

Posted: 08-11-2018 22:10   
I think we're getting a bit off-topic here. I don't think the presence or absence of perma-death plays a factor in how complicated a MUD is.

The question is, what's the best approach MUDs can take to get players interested? A simple approach like MUD2, or the so many configurations described in the original post? Or something in between?

Personally, the type described in the original post is something I never could get into. Just too many options at the start, and too much to do before you can even begin playing. That's why I'm still occasionally playing MUD2 all these years while any MUD I've encountered that's like the one described in the original post is one I've long forgotten about and am in no hurry to revisit.

[New Topic]   [Reply]
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic

These forums may be read by anyone, but only registered mudII.co.uk
players may post. When posting, please refrain from behaviour
not tolerated in the game.

These forums are moderated.