[New Topic]   [Reply]
[Edit Profile]  [Edit Your Preferences]  [Search]
[Private Messages]  [Memberslist]  [FAQ]  [Login]
MUDII Forum Index » » General Chat » » Idea: Clear the wizzes (each year) and open the giants
Author Idea: Clear the wizzes (each year) and open the giants
Miek
pioneer

Posted: 03-07-2017 14:27   
You've all seen it. Guy or gal makes Wiz and says "OK I have completed this game now" they might potter around or do some quests but the sense of achievement disappears.

They have nothing to keep them playing.

What if wizards were reset each year?
How after all my hard work is that fair?
You (rightly) ask this. Over my 20 years of play I often hear Wizzes wanting to 'go back' or of mortals not wanting to wiz because 'not having a goal would be boring'

I agree, removing wizzes each year is not fair, exactly. Those whom have achieved the penultimate goal should be rewarded each time!
How will mortals ever compete with wizknowledge?
Proudly we (more or less) manage to keep knowledge of the game secret. I'm sure going back to mortal from wiz would be no different - keep the knowledge secret.

Advantages?
1.) We have reason to all compete with each other again, breathing life in the land sapped as slowly the remaining players Wiz.

2.) The immortals keep their gravestones in the cemetery, maybe even a new one for each completion. Along with this a permfix for previous wizzes -for each completion-.
e.g.
***Zedar the wizard

(3 stars for 3 completions (haha))

I challenge you to tell me how this is a bad idea.

P.S. Having a chance for giants to open 10% of the time regardless of playerbase was a popular idea floating around on Discord. Is it too much work?

See you soon.

View Profile of Miek      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Armand
explorer

Posted: 03-07-2017 21:18   
I like both. I've previously been in favour of resetting the wiz list on BL. It helps to clear out the players who weren't really up to par but managed to make it through sneaking, and the ones with real ability won't have any trouble re-wizzing. I also agree with your arguments, as someone who has been on both sides (wished I didn't wiz so soon on BL, and haven't wanted to try for wiz on MUD2). I doubt it will be a popular suggestion though!

Giants definitely needs to be accessible with today's tiny player base. A whole area of the game going to waste doesn't seem right.

[ This Message was edited by: Armand on 03-07-2017 21:18 ]

View Profile of Armand      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Miek
pioneer

Posted: 04-07-2017 11:40   
Unleash the giants

View Profile of Miek      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Folly
pioneer

Posted: 05-07-2017 22:40   
As everybody knows I like to make Wiz at least once every three years, so I fully support this suggestion.

View Profile of Folly      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Folly
pioneer

Posted: 05-07-2017 22:41   
More Seriously - open the giants!

At least every now and again. Just don't give away any secrets. Especially that one I know.

View Profile of Folly      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Turin
protector

Posted: 13-07-2017 18:40   
Not bad ideas. I think the giants should probably have a chance to open with 2 or 3 players on these days.

As for clearing wizzes, it would probably be better to let someone stay as a wiz for a whole year from date they wizzed before they had to rewiz. If you cleared everyone at a certain date like Jan 1st then you would run the risk of people making wiz in late December and losing wiz right away, either that or people wouldn't try after certain points of the year as they'd have no time as wiz. A good percentage of wizzes used to disappear before their first year was up anyways and of those that were more active I don't think many would have had a problem with having to make wiz again.

@Armand I think I told you when you first started playing here to not try to rush to wiz and set goals to accomplish as a mortal before wizrunng. It seems like you've taken this too far if you're still not wiz like 10 years later!

Corwin

View Profile of Turin      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Armand
explorer

Posted: 17-07-2017 10:49   
Quote:

On 13-07-2017 18:40, Turin wrote:
As for clearing wizzes, it would probably be better to let someone stay as a wiz for a whole year from date they wizzed before they had to rewiz.

Good point!

Quote:

@Armand I think I told you when you first started playing here to not try to rush to wiz and set goals to accomplish as a mortal before wizrunng. It seems like you've taken this too far if you're still not wiz like 10 years later!

That was good advice (and I'm impressed that you can recall such an old conversation).

I think I reached a fairly decent ability to clear a reset (to the point where playing sets was becoming boring). I also developed a somewhat reasonable ability to defend myself, but I never felt like I fully got to grips with grips with MUD II's heavy reliance on kit in PvP vs. BL where kit is almost meaningless against a skilled player.

To a large extent I think having played BL first ruined PvP for me on MUD II. Where other players take some of the heavily nerfed features of the game for granted because they've "always been that way" (e.g. steal, flee, force, summon, death traps), I always found them painful. I've never been one to avoid fights, but whereas on BL I'd actively seek them out for fun, on MUD II it was somewhere between fun and necessary nuisance. Because of that I never really reached my goals in terms of PvP ability that I would have liked.

I also just never felt a compelling need to do it. Since I've done it on BL, I know what wizzing is like (albeit a more basic version of wiz, I'm sure). It's a one way trip that you can't go back from, and being a mortal means there will always be an element of mystery to the game. That completely vanishes once you've been wiz for a while.

That was where I was at several years ago. I haven't really played either MUD for quite some time.

View Profile of Armand      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Havoc
pioneer

Posted: 22-08-2017 20:37   
As a non-wiz, I fully agree.

View Profile of Havoc      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Havoc
pioneer

Posted: 22-08-2017 20:38   
Relatedly, can we stop deleting accounts if they haven't been logged into for six months? I'm a bit of a seasonal once-a-year type and it's annoying to sit on my hands when I do come back to the game...

View Profile of Havoc      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Heiach
Wizard

Posted: 29-11-2017 06:25   
This sounds like a good idea in theory, if only the game hadn't been running for all these many decades as it is. It would be unfair to suddenly implement a yearly wiz-clear now, all of the people who wizzed 20+ years ago etc..

I think if this idea was to happen, it should be on a fresh server.. where everyone on there is totally aware that they'd only be a wiz for 365 days etc..

But this has problems too, I'm not too sure how much bandwidth the server mudii runs on has, could it handle another version of the game on it? Also, the original mudii, the one we're on now, would probably cease to be populated anymore.

View Profile of Heiach   Email Heiach   Goto the website of Heiach          Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Heiach
Wizard

Posted: 29-11-2017 14:02   
Quote:

On 22-08-2017 20:38, Havoc wrote:
Relatedly, can we stop deleting accounts if they haven't been logged into for six months? I'm a bit of a seasonal once-a-year type and it's annoying to sit on my hands when I do come back to the game...

Agreed, I just tried to log in to my old accounts, not there!

View Profile of Heiach   Email Heiach   Goto the website of Heiach          Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
[New Topic]   [Reply]
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic

These forums may be read by anyone, but only registered mudII.co.uk
players may post. When posting, please refrain from behaviour
not tolerated in the game.

These forums are moderated.