[New Topic]   [Reply]
[Edit Profile]  [Edit Your Preferences]  [Search]
[Private Messages]  [Memberslist]  [FAQ]  [Login]
MUDII Forum Index » » General Chat » » Land design competition
Author Land design competition
Foddy
Arch-Wizard

Posted: 13-03-2005 22:14   
Would you like to design a new area of land for the game? If so, enter our latest competition - three lucky winners (one wiz, two mortals) will have the opportunity to do just that. One of these new areas of land will be accessible each reset.

This competition is based on an idea Richard had planned. Many thanks to him for allowing us to use his idea.

You will need to think of an area that will fit into about 30-50 rooms. While it will be separated from the rest of The Land, it should still be in keeping with the rest of the game (so no laser-pistols, please!)

For this number of rooms, you'll need to be thinking of an area about the same size as "Il Castellare" - although you certainly aren't limited to a building. The area could be just be there to add some atmosphere to The Land, or it could contain some simple puzzles, it's up to you.

You will then need to enter the competition, providing the details listed below which should give a good idea about your area without giving away too much. All suitable entries will then be put to public vote.

The winners will then work with Turrican to build the new area. Once complete, the area will be permanently added to the game and activated randomly.

To enter, please provide:
  • A brief overview of what your area of land will be
  • Sample room descriptions of three adjacent rooms
  • Expected number of rooms
  • Rough idea of the mobiles and objects, if any
A good entry should:
  • Be an original idea
  • Fit in with the existing game
  • Be atmospheric and fun
  • Not overly complex
Multiple entries will be allowed, but for practical reasons, only one area per player can win.

Note that winning the competition will involve spending a significant amount of time completing your area. Please only enter the competition if you expect to be able to complete your area.

Please send all entries to: areas@mudii.co.uk. The deadline for inital submissions is the 1st May.

If you have any questions about the competition, please reply to this post so that everyone can benefit from the replies.

Good luck!

View Profile of Foddy      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Azrael
Wizard

Posted: 14-03-2005 15:14   
Can it involve objects that would require substantially altered code (ie, beyond just adding the item like any other) in order to function?

Edit - Also, are you sure deciding the winners by public vote is wise? In such a small community, a vote will likely put favouritism above objectivity.

[ This Message was edited by: Azrael on 14-03-2005 15:19 ]

View Profile of Azrael      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Foddy
Arch-Wizard

Posted: 14-03-2005 19:55   
Quote:

On 14-03-2005 15:14, Azrael wrote:
Can it involve objects that would require substantially altered code (ie, beyond just adding the item like any other) in order to function?

Yes, complex objects can be added, but within limits. It's hard to say exactly where those limits would be - something which appears complex could actually be quite simple, and vice versa.

If there's something horrendously complex, it may be that this could be "exchanged" for a few less rooms.
Quote:

Edit - Also, are you sure deciding the winners by public vote is wise? In such a small community, a vote will likely put favouritism above objectivity.

Firstly, I'm not sure if I made it clear, but entries will be anonymous. I know that this may not prevent people from finding out, but we would like to encourage people to keep their ideas to themselves - if only to stop others from pinching their ideas!

The voting system won't be a straight vote - there will be categories to vote in. Hopefully, by asking the voters to justify their reasons, the issue can be mitigated. Unfortunately, however complex a voting system, favouritism can never be completely eliminated.

Don't be disheartened if you don't win this time - if the competition goes well, there will be chances in the future to submit further ideas.

Also, feel free to work as a pair or in groups if that works better for you.

Crowley
pioneer

Posted: 14-03-2005 20:36   
I'm excited!

And about the competition too!

View Profile of Crowley   Email Crowley   ICQ status         Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Maxmage
cabalist

Posted: 15-03-2005 14:05   
Weird, my previous reply seems to have gone astray...

Oooo! This is exciting - and with me having 2 weeks off coming up too! I shall have to plan on what I'd put together...

Norm

View Profile of Maxmage      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Ollie
protector

Posted: 26-03-2005 23:27   
Hi All,
Foddy is it ok to post/submit some stuff for your / wizzy feedback b4 main entry?

Cheers

View Profile of Ollie   Email Ollie      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Foddy
Arch-Wizard

Posted: 26-03-2005 23:54   
Quote:

On 26-03-2005 23:27, Ollie wrote:
Foddy is it ok to post/submit some stuff for your / wizzy feedback b4 main entry?

Yes, in fact I positively encourage it. As it's the first time the competition has been run, it'd be good (from my point of view) to find out about any potential problems before the deadline, too.

So, feel free to e-mail in any early drafts before the deadline.

I look forward to seeing your ideas!

Ollie
protector

Posted: 27-03-2005 10:49   
Thanks Foddy,

"Baloon Castle in the Air" is on its way to you now..

View Profile of Ollie   Email Ollie      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Maxmage
cabalist

Posted: 27-03-2005 18:46   
Ooh, Foddy, did you get my entry? Do I need to have anything else in it?

View Profile of Maxmage      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Foddy
Arch-Wizard

Posted: 27-03-2005 20:28   
Quote:

On 27-03-2005 18:46, Maxmage wrote:
Ooh, Foddy, did you get my entry? Do I need to have anything else in it?

Hi - I did receive your submission, thanks. I've had a look through it and will reply to you personally.

If anyone else wants to send in entries early, please do.

Heiach
Wizard

Posted: 29-03-2005 03:12   
Thank the lady I've checked the boards BEFORE it's too late to enter a competition..

I've not build an area for a while though, hmm...
I'll give it some thought.

See you peoples!

- Heiach

View Profile of Heiach   Email Heiach   Goto the website of Heiach          Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Foddy
Arch-Wizard

Posted: 16-04-2005 23:34   
The deadline is approaching!

Thanks to those who have already sent in submissions. For those of you who have yet to send in a submission, it's not too late.

Don't forget, the deadline is just for the idea and sample room descriptions, you don't have to have it all designed and ready - so even if you have a partial idea, it may still be worth entering.

Good luck!

Foddy
Arch-Wizard

Posted: 08-05-2005 19:23   
Hi,

Thanks to everyone who submitted an entry for the Land Design Competition. It's going to take a short while now to get all the entries into a consistent form and up on a the website read for voting to commence.

So, please bear with us - voting will commence after the 22nd of May.

Good luck to everyone who entered!

Foddy
Arch-Wizard

Posted: 22-05-2005 18:26   
The entries are looking good! We're hard at work getting everything set up for the public vote ... expect to see an announcement tomorrow night.

[New Topic]   [Reply]
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic

These forums may be read by anyone, but only registered mudII.co.uk
players may post. When posting, please refrain from behaviour
not tolerated in the game.

These forums are moderated.