[Edit Profile]  [Edit Your Preferences]  [Search]
[Private Messages]  [Memberslist]  [FAQ]  [Login]
MUDII Forum Index » » General Chat » » Saying
Author Saying
ewarwoowar
cabalist

Posted: 21-07-2008 22:47   
Hi to all.

I'm new here and just wanted to briefly introduce myself and remark on what a wonderful place this appears to be.

I'm not new to MUD per se, as I played it while it was still running on the machines at Essex University back in the early 80s (the cost of the dedicated PSS line kept me from going down the pub!), and followed its migration from there to MUSE (paid quite a bit of dosh for that) to BT to Compuserve (British Legends).

Haven't played in years and I'm looking forward to having a wander through the land and the valley again (although it appears that the two have merged for MUD2) while I get my bearings - and update my very much out-of-date maps!

If anyone is interested, I still have the log from my very first Spectacular (I think you call them Sorceror Wars now) that I could post. Is there a repository somewhere for these?

I also have a couple of articles from Micros Adventurer circa 1984 with Richard Bartle about MUD, complete with drawings of the land. I had my own map of the Valley published in one adventure mag but sadly don't have a copy of the magazine, although I do have the original map used for the article (drawn using one of the very first Apple Macintoshes!). If anyone is interested in seeing any of these, I could scan them an email them or post them somewhere for everyone to see.

Anyway, good to have found you all, and I look forward meeting some of you in the Land.

Regards,
E.

[ This Message was edited by: ewarwoowar on 21-07-2008 22:48 ]

View Profile of ewarwoowar      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Armand
explorer

Posted: 22-07-2008 01:18   
Hi, and welcome back. I'm glad you found the game again. I've been playing the game for about 13 years (started on Compuserve's BL). Its amazing how it keeps drawing people back in over the course of decades!

You could submit your articles to Muddled Times (www.muddled-times.co.uk). There's an issue due soon I think.

What name do you play under in the Land? I'll keep an eye out for you. I'm Hal.

View Profile of Armand      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
royston
ranger

Posted: 22-07-2008 07:41   
Hi,

You're not alone. It was those articles in Micro Adventure that got me started in MUD in the early eighties. Though I only played it on Compuserve and only for a short time. I had to it pack up because of the heavy phone bills. I have been back in the Land for just over a year now. Just like you, I had a long absence.

I would dearly like to read those articles again and agree with Hal about posting them to Muddled Times.

Welcome back. You will be surprised at how much you do remember. The early maps will be a good initial help but you will find the Land a whole lot bigger with lots of new mobiles though some of ones you may remember (like the cat with its nine lives) are no longer with us.

I wish you well.

[ This Message was edited by: royston on 22-07-2008 07:48 ]

View Profile of royston   Email royston      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
blib
explorer

Posted: 22-07-2008 17:03   
Welcome back!

I too played on Compuserve in the early/mid '80s.

It's great to have another err...'mature' player on board.

I have no interest in your maps. They are for wimps.

[ This Message was edited by: blib on 22-07-2008 17:05 ]

View Profile of blib   Email blib      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Tharg
friar

Posted: 22-07-2008 17:31   
Welcome back.

I'd like to see those articles too. I read one in the 80s that I thought was in Acorn User, or similar, but it could have been one of the ones you have. I was desperate to play, and 20 odd years later I finally did, on WirePlay.

It'd be great to read it again.

View Profile of Tharg      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
ewarwoowar
cabalist

Posted: 22-07-2008 17:33   
Hi Royston,

I know what you mean about the phone bills: mine were topping ?70 per month on a regular basis which, in 1983-5 was one helluver lot!

I'll dig out the scanner and get the articles over to the Muddled Times.

My in-game name is Ewarwoowar as well.

Cheers.

ewarwoowar
cabalist

Posted: 22-07-2008 17:35   
Hi blib and Tharg (oh the memories!)!

Yes, I have wondered at times just what the average age of those currently playing MUD2 would be.

My guess would be late 30s to early 40s (I'll keep quiet as to which end of that particular spectrum I'm on).

blib
explorer

Posted: 22-07-2008 22:57   
Quote:

On 22-07-2008 17:35, ewarwoowar wrote:
Hi blib and Tharg (oh the memories!)!

Yes, I have wondered at times just what the average age of those currently playing MUD2 would be.

My guess would be late 30s to early 40s (I'll keep quiet as to which end of that particular spectrum I'm on).

[cough] 48. [/cough]

View Profile of blib   Email blib      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Hawumph
Arch-Wizard

Posted: 23-07-2008 07:42   
Quote:

[cough] 48. [/cough]

Woo Hoo. Blib made me feel young!!!!! Support the Blib For Wiz Campaign!!!!! Death to all AFK tearoom people that Blib wants banned!!!!!

[cough] 46? [/cough]

How 'bout them transparent dangling carrots? It's not fair to deny me, the cross-eyed bear that you gave to me. You otter know!!!

[ This Message was edited by: Hawumph on 23-07-2008 07:46 ]

View Profile of Hawumph   Email Hawumph   Goto the website of Hawumph      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Karya
Arch-Witch

Posted: 23-07-2008 22:36   
Hello and welcome to MUDII.

As the others have said, you're welcome to send your logs and articles to Muddled Times. Have a look at the website to see if you think it's the right place to send them:

Muddled Times.

I have an issue to be ready imminently, but there will be future issues too if you miss this issue. E-mail me at karya@muddled-times.com.

Alternatively, the other main active (mortal-run) MUD2 website is available here:

Muddle.

View Profile of Karya      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
ewarwoowar
cabalist

Posted: 25-07-2008 15:56   
Before scanning in the articles, I did a quick Google, and found all of them here:
http://mud.co.uk/richard/microadv.htm

[New Topic]   [Reply]
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic

These forums may be read by anyone, but only registered mudII.co.uk
players may post. When posting, please refrain from behaviour
not tolerated in the game.

These forums are moderated.