[Edit Profile]  [Edit Your Preferences]  [Search]
[Private Messages]  [Memberslist]  [FAQ]  [Login]
MUDII Forum Index » » General Chat » » zMapper
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Author zMapper
ewarwoowar
cabalist

Posted: 29-07-2008 19:10   
I'm with Royston on this: I find mapping fun and tend to do it in two stages, first with pencil and paper and then transpose the sketch into something more asthetic (oh alright, I'm a control freak and NEED to have straight lines or else I'll have a breakdown).

I make no apologies for actually needing a map: I find it hard enough to remember what I had for breakfast let alone how to get to x from y.

I'm sure that over time I will memorise certain routes and refer to a map less and less, but find it a great help in the meantime.

Never thought about it being art, but now you come to mention it, I also get a certain sense of satisfaction when I look at a completed section of map and know that it is just right.

View Profile of ewarwoowar      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
ewarwoowar
cabalist

Posted: 29-07-2008 19:16   
Seeing as no-one seems to have played with zMapper (the subject of my original post) I thought I'd have a look for myself.

...and wished I hadn't!

I downloaded it and installed it, and then the problems began.

It doesn't seem to want to open the sample maps properly (gives an error) and I managed to get it to crash several times just by clicking on stuff randomly (wasn't supposed to be random but ended up that way through sheer frustration).

Anyway, after about half an hour, I still hadn't managed to get more than two rooms drawn and linked and gave up - it's far too much effort.

From what I could see of the program, it looks like it could be terribly good at drawing maps, if I only knew how. The tutorials are non-existant and the help is not helpful at all.

Back to GUEMap for now while I play with Draw Plus (which I just happen to have a copy of lying around!).

View Profile of ewarwoowar      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
royston
ranger

Posted: 29-07-2008 20:17   
Contact me by email (see my profile) if you would like a template for DrawPlus.

View Profile of royston   Email royston      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
blib
explorer

Posted: 29-07-2008 22:22   
I am no snob. My objection to mapping comes as a direct consequence of my age old vicious battle with the evil Armand.

Armand had a persona called 'Mapper' who enjoyed nothing more than to map the hell out of the Land...ergo I am totally against mapping.

Q.E.D.

Have I mentioned before that I would like to have Armand banned?

View Profile of blib   Email blib      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
royston
ranger

Posted: 29-07-2008 23:15   
He bit!!

Anyway I said INVERSE snobbery.

View Profile of royston   Email royston      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
blib
explorer

Posted: 30-07-2008 12:16   
Quote:

On 29-07-2008 23:15, royston wrote:
He bit!!

Anyway I said INVERSE snobbery.

Snobbery is snobbery is snobbery.

Remind me to bite you properly at the meet !

royston
ranger

Posted: 30-07-2008 14:26   
Oh no it isn't

Snobbery is when those you are better than you think they are better than you. Inverse snobbery is when those who are not better than you think they are better than you.

blib
explorer

Posted: 30-07-2008 17:45   
Quote:

On 30-07-2008 14:26, royston wrote:
Oh no it isn't

Snobbery is when those you are better than you think they are better than you. Inverse snobbery is when those who are not better than you think they are better than you.

So, Royston, you think that you are better than some people and worse than others do you?

Now that's petit bourgeois snobbery at its finest.

royston
ranger

Posted: 30-07-2008 18:41   
First Latin and now French. Wow!

Can we use phrases and words a peasant like me can understand?

blib
explorer

Posted: 30-07-2008 21:13   
Nope.

gobstopper
pilgrim

Posted: 31-07-2008 14:09   
Different players like different things. I have giant gaps in my knowledge which i'm sure could be filled, but I have never been that bothered by exploration.

Oh, and people who use maps are such losers!

View Profile of gobstopper      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
[New Topic]   [Reply]
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic

These forums may be read by anyone, but only registered mudII.co.uk
players may post. When posting, please refrain from behaviour
not tolerated in the game.

These forums are moderated.