[New Topic]   [Reply]
[Edit Profile]  [Edit Your Preferences]  [Search]
[Private Messages]  [Memberslist]  [FAQ]  [Login]
MUDII Forum Index » » General Chat » » mud2.com closed?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Author mud2.com closed?
Tharg
friar

Posted: 02-08-2008 11:27   
I get an error about cookies if I try to sign up there. Cookies are enabled. Perhaps it's a glitch.

Can you quote the message?

Edit : Oh wait it worked this time.

[ This Message was edited by: Tharg on 02-08-2008 11:28 ]

View Profile of Tharg      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
royston
ranger

Posted: 02-08-2008 12:28   
I keep on getting a cookies error message too, even with them enabled. How did you overcome it?

View Profile of royston   Email royston      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Tharg
friar

Posted: 02-08-2008 13:04   
I used the menu bar at the top - Accounts -> Create Account, I think. Then it worked.

Armand
explorer

Posted: 02-08-2008 13:29   
Hi,

I've been carefully considering my response to all this (having been part of, or at least witness to, a lot of the things described here), and will be putting up a long post later. For now I'd just like to say that there IS much more to the recent events than what has been mentioned by Angkor and Viktor. Lots of details have been left out and taken out of context (yes, even by Viktor.. Arch-wizards are human too).

I am not around much today so it probably won't be until tomorrow that I make my post. In the meantime I would hope that people will keep more of an open mind than they were doing earlier in this thread. Once everyone's heard both sides, I'll accept any judgements people choose to make, but must say I'm a bit disappointed in those who have been so eager to form their opinions based only on one side of things.

[ This Message was edited by: Armand on 02-08-2008 13:35 ]

View Profile of Armand      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
royston
ranger

Posted: 02-08-2008 13:29   
No I've been trying that. Might have to contact sysop.

Did you get in? What did it say?

View Profile of royston   Email royston      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Crazyfool
Wizard

Posted: 02-08-2008 13:52   
<looks forward to Armands post>

View Profile of Crazyfool      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Tharg
friar

Posted: 02-08-2008 14:50   
It's a slightly accusational, I don't really want to quote the whole thing. Clearly Victor is sure at least one mudii player has been trying to poach mud2 players, and he's not impressed, though.

Royston, I'll PM it to you, you can quote it if you like.

royston
ranger

Posted: 02-08-2008 15:21   
Wow!!

I'll wait for Armand's post before any more comment.

Zalagar
pioneer

Posted: 02-08-2008 15:50   
MUD2.com and I go back a long way. I was there back in late 1997, back during the days when it was active and thriving and there were very few resets where there weren't active players.

After a while, I got burned out, and took a sabbatical. Unfortunately, Wireplay caused a signifigant drop in the membership, and .com has never really recovered from that.

In more recent years, .com has had the feel of an old pub, coffee shop, pizza place, or whatever that you used to hang around with your friends ... only those friends have long since moved on and found other places to hang out at.

.com really hasn't been promoted much. While the people here at .co.uk have gone the extra mile with their websites, and keeping them updated, updates to the .com web site have been few and far between, adding to the 'abandoned' feel of the place.

I'd say .com has enough problems WITHOUT someone deliberately trying to chase people off of it. And there are better ways of encouraging people to play at .co.uk than that.

Laura/Zalagar

[ This Message was edited by: Zalagar on 02-08-2008 15:52 ]

View Profile of Zalagar      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Karya
Arch-Witch

Posted: 02-08-2008 15:51   
[quote]
On 02-08-2008 10:17, royston wrote:
Quote:
In the meantime I might go over and have a look for myself. Anyone coming?

I hope you're not trying to steal mudii players and take them over to mud2.com!!

View Profile of Karya      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
ewarwoowar
cabalist

Posted: 02-08-2008 15:54   
OMG! - definately want to see what Armand has to say now.

View Profile of ewarwoowar      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Karya
Arch-Witch

Posted: 02-08-2008 15:56   
I have been reading this thread with interest and felt that there are some points that need to be made.

Tearoom poaching

Angkor started this thread by saying that a player had been poaching players away from mud2.com and trying to get them to play mudii instead. Regardless of who "Fbi" is this is just another example of an ongoing occurrence. Unfortunately this has been happening on and off for years by mudii players whose motive has ranged from misguided loyalty to maliciousness.

Conversely we've had the same happen to us, we have had mud2.com players come to our tearoom telling people that they would be better off at mud2.com. It is both frustrating and annoying.

There is nothing wrong with talking about the other mud2 game but there is a difference between that and actively trying to put down one game with the intention of getting someone to play the other.

Whenever we've known about a mudii player doing it and known who has been doing it with have asked the player concerned to stop but ultimately we are powerless to influence a mudii player's actions in another game.

Just to reiterate the point Foddy made earlier, we at mudii do not condone the poaching of players from other games.

Merger

There are pros and cons to both sides of the argument but I don't think we're in the best of positions to suggest the idea to mud2.com right now.

Just to clarify something, if there was a merger it doesn't necessary mean that mudii is the dominant game, Viktor could end up running it in which case we would have to fit into the way his game is run and mud2.com's culture

MUD2.com

There have been mentions and on this thread as to the state of mud2.com. Viktor runs his game the way he chooses to, and that is part of what makes mud2.com different. If any mud2.com player has an issue with that, then they need to bring it up with Viktor in the first instance and Richard if they feel it's necessary.

I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with discussing mud2.com here, as this is a discussion forum, however, it is not our place to interfere with the way mud2.com is run.

I know it's hard as a lot of mudii players are also mud2.com players, in fact the arch-wizzes here are wizzes over there, but we have to all remember that the two games are in fact separate.

-----

My intention isn't to stop the discussion here; I just thought it was time to raise a number of points.

View Profile of Karya      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
royston
ranger

Posted: 02-08-2008 16:07   
[quote]
On 02-08-2008 15:51, Karya wrote:
Quote:

On 02-08-2008 10:17, royston wrote:
Quote:
In the meantime I might go over and have a look for myself. Anyone coming?

I hope you're not trying to steal mudii players and take them over to mud2.com!!

I was only thinking of organising a coach outing for the day. But having had just a peep at what's on the welcome page, I'll postpone it.

Angkor
pilgrim

Posted: 03-08-2008 03:41   
Quote:

On 02-08-2008 13:52, Crazyfool wrote:
<looks forward to Armands post>

Me too...can't begin to tell you how much.

View Profile of Angkor      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
tethys
novice

Posted: 03-08-2008 04:16   
Please excuse me if it is seen as meddling on the mudii forums but since the topic of the
thread is mud2.com I don't think it entirely inappropriate.

I too look forward to Armands post "clarifying" the situation over there. I of course am
significantly advantaged having access to the game logs however I will try to be as objective
and factual as possible, and hopefully not give away too many arch secrets.

Here is an example. Armand and another mortal, let's call him Joe, get into a fight. Armands
player is a swordy and Joes is a warrior. Armand kills Joe. Armand then QQs and comes back in
about 10 seconds with his swordy and types "Joseph" (that being the name of Joes mage) and
gets the usual message;

"A name on its own does nothing, however ... etc." Thereby finding out that Joseph is in fact
playing.

Four seconds later Armands accomplice, that would be the wiz, sends the following message;

"Someone powerful tells you "let him attack you".

Armand goes to the very same room the fight was in and does a repeated "k door" command. If you
don't know what k door does, try it some time.

The mage attacks Armand and is instantly FODed by the wiz. For some reason Joe brings in a PP
and again attempts to attack Armand (did I say Joe wasn't too clever?). The wiz instantly FODs
Joe's PP for some reason.

Things go nutty for some time then the wiz says (to himself apparently) "hmm, if thinks what he
does is normal WHY does he ONLY do it here?". Then tells Joe, "why don't you try pulling the
same stunts on the other mud2, see how long you last".

Meanwhile, Armand tells Joe's latest persona, "Namely, switching personae to carry on a fight.
Isn't that pretty obviously cheating?".

About a month later. Armand (at warlock) gets into another fight with Joe, who has since
gotten back to mage. This time Joe prevails, though only a flee, not a kill. Armand proceeds
to bring in a low life and kegs the mage. If you don't know what kegging is don't be playing
mage. I busted Armand down to bare sorc for his transgression.

There is more, lots more, but suffice to say what Viktor did was pretty measured in my opinion.

View Profile of tethys      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Angkor
pilgrim

Posted: 03-08-2008 07:35   
Whew...took me about five reads of Tethys' message to get the whole thing.

I've seen this sort of stuff happen, but only from the side of a mort, and not from the viewpoint of a mort with such a Wiz as an ally. I've never lasted long enough as a Mage to understand the intricacies of Kegging, but I have a feeling that unless the Super Orcs make their reappearance I might stand a chance of lasting more than thirty seconds in a reset next time I make Mage.

Do those Super Orcs ever make an appearance on mudii? I have a feeling that they have a particular appetite for my personae, for other players they seem to present no worse a challenge than your average zombie...

Interesting post, Tethys - sorry I've been such a PITA as a mort to you...and I know how my appetite for easy T infuriates you <g>

(As an afterthought, I haven't seen "Joe" playing for some time, for a while he seemed to be as addicted as I was, poor bastard...)

[ This Message was edited by: Angkor on 03-08-2008 07:50 ]

royston
ranger

Posted: 03-08-2008 08:35   
At least we now know why Armand spends so much time in the Tearoom afk. Even he cannot actively play three MUDs at the same time.

blib
explorer

Posted: 03-08-2008 08:40   
Is there a 'popcorn' smiley on here?

View Profile of blib   Email blib      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Angkor
pilgrim

Posted: 03-08-2008 08:41   
Quote:

On 03-08-2008 08:35, royston wrote:
At least we now know why Armand spends so much time in the Tearoom afk. Even he cannot actively play three MUDs at the same time.

No, that would leave him *absolutely* no time for his desk-job duties...

royston
ranger

Posted: 03-08-2008 08:49   
OK

Kegging?

PITA?

I have never seen a Super Orc on MUDii. By the sounds of it I don't want to.

EDIT:

I have worked out what PITA stands for.
Doh!

[ This Message was edited by: royston on 03-08-2008 09:24 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
[New Topic]   [Reply]
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic

These forums may be read by anyone, but only registered mudII.co.uk
players may post. When posting, please refrain from behaviour
not tolerated in the game.

These forums are moderated.