[New Topic]   [Reply]
[Edit Profile]  [Edit Your Preferences]  [Search]
[Private Messages]  [Memberslist]  [FAQ]  [Login]
MUDII Forum Index » » General Chat » » What if you could choose to start with magic?
Author What if you could choose to start with magic?
Heiach
Wizard

Posted: 16-10-2008 09:52   
An idea I had and I thought perhaps we could have a mini-debate about it. I'm aware of a lot of the side-effects but still, regarde:
Take a peek

(1) You'll have people being able to cast the WH spell early on.
(2) You might get attacked by people trying to spam-blind/cripple you.
(3) When you attack that sorcerer, if they started as a magic user they will have poor dex and strength. If they were sensible they'll have max stam.
(4) Allows people to have a lot more of the early questions answered. Wh (item) etc..

And many many more, discuss:

[ This Message was edited by: Heiach on 16-10-2008 10:00 ]

View Profile of Heiach   Email Heiach   Goto the website of Heiach          Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Armand
explorer

Posted: 16-10-2008 12:39   
My main two objections to this would be:

1. It makes the game less interesting for newbies. Getting your first magic user is a major milestone and gives a goal to work towards, and a sense of satisfaction when it is achieved. I think giving newbies full access to spells straight away would take away some of the mystique of the game.

2. It creates some possible abuses, which you already mentioned.

View Profile of Armand      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
royston
ranger

Posted: 16-10-2008 15:28   
I agree with Armand. It gives too much too early. There is already enough for a genuine newbie to be getting on with. And its easy to get back up to Champ when you have a bit of time under your belt.

View Profile of royston   Email royston      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Vulnax
explorer

Posted: 16-10-2008 20:26   
...waiting for the "In BL ( other MUD1's are available) comment ..."
Mud1 had rudimentary magic available from the start, with spells becoming available on a level basis with chance of actually achieving the magic based on level and particular spell.

Did that have any / many problems... did help WH items etc.

Quote:

On 16-10-2008 12:39, Armand wrote:
My main two objections to this would be:

1. It makes the game less interesting for newbies. Getting your first magic user is a major milestone and gives a goal to work towards, and a sense of satisfaction when it is achieved. I think giving newbies full access to spells straight away would take away some of the mystique of the game.

2. It creates some possible abuses, which you already mentioned.

View Profile of Vulnax   Goto the website of Vulnax        Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Armand
explorer

Posted: 16-10-2008 21:34   
MUD1 is an entirely different game though, especially the magic system. There aren't even magic points there.

View Profile of Armand      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
[New Topic]   [Reply]
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic

These forums may be read by anyone, but only registered mudII.co.uk
players may post. When posting, please refrain from behaviour
not tolerated in the game.

These forums are moderated.