[Edit Profile]  [Edit Your Preferences]  [Search]
[Private Messages]  [Memberslist]  [FAQ]  [Login]
MUDII Forum Index » » General Chat » » Dragon Bash
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Author Dragon Bash
royston
ranger

Posted: 14-01-2009 23:15   
I understand that in the olden days there used to be things called Dragon Bashes.

I imagine that it was a quick way to get through several personas quickly and you needed about thirty players in the game to stand any chance. I was about to suggest a revival but we never get that number of players these days.

One way round it, would be to play sorcerised sorcerers, but I fear that might just take the edge off it.

[ This Message was edited by: royston on 14-01-2009 23:17 ]

View Profile of royston   Email royston      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
blib
explorer

Posted: 15-01-2009 12:28   
^^^^^ A fine example of 'Stream Of Consciousness' as pioneered by James Joyce.

View Profile of blib   Email blib      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Zalagar
pioneer

Posted: 15-01-2009 14:27   
We did it once back in 1998, during the heyday of MUD2.com.

The whole thing came about when Tethys and a bunch of the UK players met in a pub. At the time, I thought it was a crazy idea. But Tethys persuaded me to participate, using my main persona instead of a throwaway account.

When the day finally came, there were 19 of us participating, some of us warlocks and necros. Most of us were musers, though there were a few non-musers. First, we all gathered as many wafers and weapons as we could find, and then we all went through to fight the dragon.

I have to tell you ... it was one of the most exciting events ever. It was like taking on the Death Star, or something like that. The tension increased as the dragon kept on fighting, and the bell tolled.

In the end, the dragon fell. 5 of us were killed. A lot of us (myself included) had stamina in single digits (mine was 4) ... but we did it! You should have seen the cheering and shouting that ensued afterward.

Everyone that was still there when the dragon fell got prefixed with 'dragon-slaying', by the way.

Of course, sometime later, many of us returned to the tearoom to relax, recover, and celebrate. And of course, the fireworks were brought out for the occasion.

All in all, it was one of the most exciting sets I've ever played in MUD2.

Laura/Zalagar

View Profile of Zalagar      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Tharg
friar

Posted: 15-01-2009 17:45   
I think I died in that event, or another one the same.

Took the shine off it for me, but it was a laugh.

View Profile of Tharg      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Vulnax
explorer

Posted: 15-01-2009 18:13   
Not having played .Com, I seem to recall the dragon bash also being done in Wireplay Mud2 days, once or maybe twice?

Would that be where you did it Tharg?

View Profile of Vulnax   Goto the website of Vulnax        Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Tharg
friar

Posted: 15-01-2009 18:35   
Yeah deffo WP days. Not sure of any more details though.

Edit : Oh wait I didn't spot that the one mentioned above was at .com .

[ This Message was edited by: Tharg on 15-01-2009 18:35 ]

View Profile of Tharg      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Crowley
pioneer

Posted: 16-01-2009 12:42   
Tom organised the one at Wireplay. About 20 people died. In the end, the dragon got karked by newbie-rushing it Murdered by 30 protectors. Good times.

View Profile of Crowley   Email Crowley   ICQ status         Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Armand
explorer

Posted: 16-01-2009 17:53   
To make up for the lack of players, perhaps loobying could just be made temporarily allowed for the duration of the event? Then players could throw multiple personae (if they are willing) at it

View Profile of Armand      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Karya
Arch-Witch

Posted: 16-01-2009 19:07   
Quote:

On 16-01-2009 12:42, Crowley wrote:
Tom organised the one at Wireplay. About 20 people died. In the end, the dragon got karked by newbie-rushing it Murdered by 30 protectors. Good times.

There were at least two dragon bashes at Wireplay that I remember. Tom did organise the first one, and the most fun one. I'm sure I read a write-up of that event but I can't find it in Muddled Times. Maybe it was on the Wireplay forums, I'll have a look through the archives if I get a chance.

View Profile of Karya      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Karya
Arch-Witch

Posted: 16-01-2009 19:18   
Found it!! It was on Muddy:

http://cpwoodorg.nfshost.com/muddy/Files/Mud2/Dragbash.htm

I loved that website. It would be great if we could have something similar now (insert wistful smilie here).

[ This Message was edited by: Karya on 16-01-2009 19:19 ]

View Profile of Karya      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Crowley
pioneer

Posted: 16-01-2009 20:30   
The loss of WDI to academia was one of the saddest I've experienced in this game, for sure.

View Profile of Crowley   Email Crowley   ICQ status         Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
royston
ranger

Posted: 16-01-2009 22:45   
Quote:

On 16-01-2009 17:53, Armand wrote:
To make up for the lack of players, perhaps loobying could just be made temporarily allowed for the duration of the event? Then players could throw multiple personae (if they are willing) at it

Far be it for me to nit pick, but before Blib has a go, do you mean multi-lining?

View Profile of royston   Email royston      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Armand
explorer

Posted: 17-01-2009 02:58   
No, multi-lining would be using two personae simultaneously on the dragon. I meant that if you die, you could come back as another persona and carry on attacking it. Technically looby because the second persona knows the (lower) stam of the dragon, and is able to pick up kit (if any) the first persona dropped.

Crowley
pioneer

Posted: 17-01-2009 08:45   
That's what every other dragon bash has done.

royston
ranger

Posted: 17-01-2009 09:30   
Sorry, I was assuming you would be allowed to send in your next persona anyway. I thought you were suggesting playing several personas at once.

royston
ranger

Posted: 17-01-2009 11:27   
Come to think of it, if you were allowed to play more than one persona at once, Armand could win it solo in about two minutes.

Armand
explorer

Posted: 17-01-2009 11:30   
Oh fair enough, I just assumed in previous dragon bashes players were throwing new protectors/yeomen of the same name back at it.

I guess I should read that write up that Karya linked to

Zalagar
pioneer

Posted: 17-01-2009 14:55   
On MUD2.com, we thought more highly of the dragon than that. We went after it, many using our highlifes. Warlocks, necros, sorcs ...

And there were some non-musers, too. 19 players altogether took on the dragon. 5 died, and a lot of us came pretty close.

I sent Hawumph my log of the event a few years ago. I think I still have it on disc somewhere ... but it's VERY large, as it includes all the preparing we did beforehand, and the celebration afterward.

So it'd take some effort to adapt it for inclusion in a Muddled Times article or something.

View Profile of Zalagar      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Heiach
Wizard

Posted: 17-01-2009 17:46   
I remember taking part in a dragon bash before*.

*By taking part I mean watching people runn past, hearing the bell toll and laughing my ass off .

View Profile of Heiach   Email Heiach   Goto the website of Heiach          Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
royston
ranger

Posted: 15-03-2009 09:05   
Would there be any support for a Dragon bash one Thursday?

How many players would be the minimum?

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
[New Topic]   [Reply]
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic

These forums may be read by anyone, but only registered mudII.co.uk
players may post. When posting, please refrain from behaviour
not tolerated in the game.

These forums are moderated.