[Edit Profile]  [Edit Your Preferences]  [Search]
[Private Messages]  [Memberslist]  [FAQ]  [Login]
MUDII Forum Index » » General Chat » » Treasure Hunt Report 19/02
Author Treasure Hunt Report 19/02
royston
ranger

Posted: 20-02-2009 15:13   
ROYSTON?S RAMBLING REPORT

Once again this is a very personal account. A lot went on that I do not know about and would love to hear about, so please add to this thread.

A few days ago Karya suggested that we might like a change from the usual bash this week and put forward the idea of a Treasure Hunt. The object of this was to dispose of all the Treasure in the Land by any means until there was none left. The suggestion meet with universal acclaim and appoval.

I am not sure how many started but just before th reset there were eleven players in the Tearoom and I am sure they all took part. I had already arranged to team up with Leak at the beginning and go down the Gobs, a particular favourite of mine. But before that, I needed to kit myself out. I had my eye on bag0 right from the start and went for that first. I picked up all the attic T as well while I was there. On my way to the Swamp someone shouted that the thief should be killed quickly before he swamped what I call ?capability? T. In other words T that has other useful capabilities. I thought to myself, ?If I come across him I might do something?. And immediately on arriving at the Swamp, the Thief, who was already there, attacked me without any provocation . He dropped parasol0 and key 10, both useful items. I saw them go down in the Swamp. Capslock and Crivvens arrived on scene and joined in the melee. I was glad to see them since still I had no weapon at that stage and needed all the help I could get. Then Fantods came along and lent a hand. It was only a matter of time before the thief was no more.

Leland was elected Treasure Hunt General.

I got the rest of my kit and met up with Leak. I wondered if we could sneak the T without attacking all the Gobs but in the end they all got killed. For once G10 was a bit elusive and we came across him and his tapestry towards the end of the proceedings. We swamped all the T and then went our separate ways.

I kept back the flute and the briefcase. The flute for well known reasons and the briefcase so it can be opened and empted of T. I only know one way of opening the briefcase (I suspect there are others) and I could not get to the means of opening it.

Somebody shouted that there were lots of pickings (literally) in the Pag grounds and I made my way there. At one stage I managed to get myself blocked by the Monk and so he had to go. Crivvens, who had survived the ordeal of the TS and was now a Sorceress appeared and helped me out. I found several jasmin plants. Ape9 who was holding some six varieties of flower, did not take kindly to me trying to take them off him and started a punch-up. I also got the Chinese lantern and even remembered what had to be done before approaching the Swamp.

I still had the briefcase and still was unable to open it. I eventually dropped it in the Hut.

And so on to the Mine. A 'Wh Ore' showed there was one in the Crack Room. For me, it might as well have said on the Moon. Perhaps I need to re-explore the Mine. I did get one piece of ore and swamped it.

Feeling that there was little to be gained from going back to the mine, I next emptied out the Smugglers? Cave.

Not having any better ideas, I decided to check out some of the more obvious palces for missed stuff. To my surprise, although it was obvious that someone had already been to the Inn before me, there was a considerable amount of T still there. There were also two items left in the Villa,one left in the Monastery and two in two Formal Garden buildings.

At about this time Leland complained that someone had left a load of trinkets at the Rapids for someone else to swamp. No one owned up to this naughtiness.

I realised that I needed something more constructive than the random approach I had been following so far. I started to use the 'WH' command extensively. I soon found that a more general object in the command more useful than something particular. In other words ?wh gem? was better than ?wh ruby?. ?Wh gold? produced a really good result. There was some gold in the Hot Passage, Room of the East Wind (where ever that was), the Dovecote and top floor of Pagoda (which I misread as Keep). Anyway I went under the yew, which otherwise had been stripped out, picked up the one remaining bit of T, wasted some time at the Keep and finally found someone else had beaten me to the Dovecote. ?Wh Silver? revealed some in ?Dwarf Room? but I could only find trinkets which looked as though they should be somewhere else. These I swamped. I also found some stuff in the Underground Room but it looked useful so I left it untouched.

I then went on a fruitless search for the Crack Room, wasting more time. I found yet more trinkets in the Mine which I also swamped. Recklessly I sought more and went to the small bedroom in the cottage. There I found Nonesuch beating hell out of a pick with a tomahawk. I found some more negative stuff, though again out of place, in the Nursery in the Villa. These I also swamped. I felt under pressure to get rid of them quickly.

An early TSV showed the total of all T as 506 and now it added up to 518. So it was being introduced back into the game. I reckon it was all the trinkets appearing in the wrong places.

We were nearing the end when players swamped their T they had been using as Kit and we were suddenly down to 3 items. Cetainly the Crown and the Chalice - but what else?

And that is how it ended with just three bits of T left in the Land when time ran out. The last item turned out to be the lederhosen. I don?t feel bad about not getting any of these last three myself. I don?t know how to reach the Crown though I do know where it is. I have no idea how to recover the chalice after it has been used for its usual purpose. And as for the lederhosen, I can only assume they are in the Alpine Cottage and I have yet to find my way there.

All in all, it was a great event with loads of atmosphere. I am glad pk?ing was banned as it enabled us all to get on with the job in hand without looking over our shoulder all the time.

Thanks must go to Karya for organising it all. When is t he next one?

[ This Message was edited by: royston on 20-02-2009 15:29 ]

[ This Message was edited by: royston on 20-02-2009 15:39 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Royston on 21-02-2009 08:05 ]

View Profile of royston   Email royston      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
ilisity
cabalist

Posted: 20-02-2009 16:26   
Fab report Roy .

View Profile of ilisity      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Zordell
cleric

Posted: 20-02-2009 17:11   
Royston, your write ups are always fabulous!
Was loads of fun last night- I didn't take part but I could see everyone was enjoying themselves very much. They got so close too, absolutely brilliant job everyone!
Thanks again to Karya for organising it and overseeing, whens the next one? I'm definately going to have a go this time

View Profile of Zordell        Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Vulnax
explorer

Posted: 20-02-2009 18:59   
Gutted I missed it as had comp problems after the elec co. had changed the eleccy meter in the day ... groan!

Royston ... can't quite guess who this refers to ...

A 'Wh Ore' showed there was one in the Crack Room

Sounds like a whole new game there, GTA anyone!

V

View Profile of Vulnax   Goto the website of Vulnax        Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Heiach
Wizard

Posted: 21-02-2009 06:33   
Lol

And yes awesome report!

View Profile of Heiach   Email Heiach   Goto the website of Heiach          Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
royston
ranger

Posted: 21-02-2009 09:41   
Thank you for your kind remarks. I am glad you enjoy reading it. I enjoy writing it. Though I would be happier if I did not keep on finding grammatical errors. I suddenly noticed 'it's' instead of 'its' this morning.

Someone else will have to do the write-ups for the next two weeks. I am going to England tomorrow for one week in the West Country and one in London. We will be in the Bay of Biscay on night of 23rd so spare me a thought. I should be able to pop in from time to time but I do not propose to do the bash without my Clio client. If you don't see me, don't worry. And Good Luck!

[ This Message was edited by: Royston on 21-02-2009 16:46 ]

View Profile of royston   Email royston      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Hawumph
Arch-Wizard

Posted: 21-02-2009 16:42   
Quote:

don't don't worry.

Does that first don't cancel out the second don't, making that line read "worry".

<worries>

How 'bout them transparent dangling carrots? It's not fair to deny me, the cross-eyed bear that you gave to me. You otter know!!!

View Profile of Hawumph   Email Hawumph   Goto the website of Hawumph      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
royston
ranger

Posted: 21-02-2009 16:51   
Quote:

Does that first don't cancel out the second don't, making that line read "worry".

<worries>

See what I mean?
Edited. Thank you.

Heiach
Wizard

Posted: 23-02-2009 08:43   
You're so pedantic Hawumph - not not not.

View Profile of Heiach   Email Heiach   Goto the website of Heiach          Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Miek
pioneer

Posted: 23-02-2009 17:29   
lol nice ^^

/zed

View Profile of Miek      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
[New Topic]   [Reply]
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic

These forums may be read by anyone, but only registered mudII.co.uk
players may post. When posting, please refrain from behaviour
not tolerated in the game.

These forums are moderated.