[New Topic]   [Reply]
[Edit Profile]  [Edit Your Preferences]  [Search]
[Private Messages]  [Memberslist]  [FAQ]  [Login]
MUDII Forum Index » » General Chat » » Membership
Author Membership
royston
ranger

Posted: 13-07-2009 12:57   
Tomorrow 14th July is the 2nd anniversary of my membership of mudii. I am two tenths through my newbie probation. If you look at the membership list my membership number is 2723. The latest member is numbered 2374. That is an increase of 499.

Where have they all gone? We seem to be able to generate interest but not retain new people. What can we do about it?

View Profile of royston   Email royston      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Crazyfool
Wizard

Posted: 13-07-2009 14:02   
Anyone have any ideas from a mortal perspective?

I run stuff every Thursday with varying success. I think if we all tried playing the game, ie more quests and events we can keep new members interests.

Or we can all strip again?

Cf

View Profile of Crazyfool      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
royston
ranger

Posted: 13-07-2009 15:29   
CF, it must be your anniversary too. You wizzed on my very first game. At the time, I wondered what all the fuss was about.

But this opens another can of worms. How come, apart from the Arches, are you the only wiz we ever see regularly? Were there any wizzes about when you were mortal? Perhaps the most junior wiz has to be seen about the place a bit and in your day it was somebody different.

View Profile of royston   Email royston      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Armand
explorer

Posted: 13-07-2009 15:42   
I don't recall there being much more visibility from other wizzes before cf wizzed, than after. I think there just aren't many wizzes who still play regularly, and those who do, prefer to stay invisible.

An observation I have made (purely speculative) is that MUD2 wizzes seem to be discouraged from interacting/interfering directly with mortals in the Land too much. This is a comparison I have made with BL/MUD1 where wizzes have more freedom and generally do interfere with mortals a lot (within certain limits of acceptability e.g. dropping dragons on people isn't ok). Perhaps the stricter ethos on MUD2 provides less incentive for wizzes to log on as it is less interesting for them unless they are in it mainly for the social aspect. Again, this is just speculation on my part, I have no idea how things actually work up there in practice

View Profile of Armand      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Crazyfool
Wizard

Posted: 13-07-2009 15:51   
I cant comment on Wizard activity. The reason I like to be visable is two fold

1.I always said if I ever wizzed I would be visable often. I also said I would make a quest....its on its way....kinda.

2.I like to be available to help any new players or handle any issues. Granted, I rarely have to do either of these things so often I like to mock Armand's camera or flirt with Fiz.

Returning to original point, I think we just need to get players, PLAYING rather than chatting. This is sadly the one thing I cant help you with.

Cf

View Profile of Crazyfool      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Crowley
pioneer

Posted: 13-07-2009 22:39   
Problem is, beyond a certain level, playing becomes a bit too much like... effort

lazy Crowley

View Profile of Crowley   Email Crowley   ICQ status         Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Heiach
Wizard

Posted: 14-07-2009 08:09   
Quote:

On 13-07-2009 15:51, Crazyfool wrote:

Returning to original point, I think we just need to get players, PLAYING rather than chatting. This is sadly the one thing I cant help you with.

Cf

I'm sure a well-placed lever would solve this... ;>

View Profile of Heiach   Email Heiach   Goto the website of Heiach          Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
[New Topic]   [Reply]
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic

These forums may be read by anyone, but only registered mudII.co.uk
players may post. When posting, please refrain from behaviour
not tolerated in the game.

These forums are moderated.