[New Topic]   [Reply]
[Edit Profile]  [Edit Your Preferences]  [Search]
[Private Messages]  [Memberslist]  [FAQ]  [Login]
MUDII Forum Index » » General Chat » » Last Night's Quest (16/09)
Author Last Night's Quest (16/09)
royston
ranger

Posted: 17-07-2009 14:16   
Shall I get on with it? NO! I'm going for a swim first.

EDIT Ok I'll get on with it now. Water temperature 84 degrees - not bad.

[ This Message was edited by: royston on 17-07-2009 14:42 ]

View Profile of royston   Email royston      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
royston
ranger

Posted: 17-07-2009 16:24   
I think we were a bit better organised than last week. There were certainly more people playing.

This was going to be the third attempt on the Ice Palace.

I knew from experience that the first thing to do is to get the drawbridge lowered. This could only be done from the top of the watch tower, which I knew to be guarded. I had also learnt the hard way that the guards could not be overcome by a player acting on his own. While we were all chatting in the Tearoom, I asked for someone to help me in this venture. Keal promised to do so.

The set started and we all rushed in to get kitted out. I was far too slow to get either dagger0 or Staff0 and settled for the falchion. Meanwhile Keal, at hero and therefore a non-MU, was determined to get the LS. He somehow became involved with G10 and got himself killed.

I asked Mystique to help me. We entered the land and found and fought our way up the Watch Tower. We were soon joined by Hal and Doughnut. After a bit of confusion I managed to send a signal to the Ice Palace to lower the drawbrige. And thither we all went.

It was agreed that I should take the East Tower and Hal the West one with his team. I was anxious to get to the stage we were at at the end of last week as soon as possible to give us the greatest time to concentrate on the end game. Well it did not take long. We soon found ourselves at the top of the Main Tower with the Princess entombed (if that?s the right word) in a solid block of ice. With almost an hour left we were at the stage we finished at last week.

It was then that I made two serious mistakes. Firstly I decided to wear an item of clothing that someone has discarded for the sole reason ?it seemed a good idea?. For those who are in the know, I first started to go blind and find myself crippled, which is easily got out of but as always when things happen that I do not understand, I start having dark thoughts about Wiz interference. Then suddenly, and to my utter surpise, I found myself in the Evil Wood confronting the Vampire who, helped by the Wraith, lost no time in attacking me. I had no weapon of course, nor anything else for that matter, and decided to let it run and flee at the last moment in order to lose as few points as possible. It was now that I made my second mistake. I don?t want it generally known, so keep it to yourself: using the Clio Client I have a few macros triggered by the Function Keys to get me out of trouble. Unfortuately at the last moment I pressed the wrong one - instead of F10 (f n.qq), I pressed F12 (k 1 mob wi best wp). So I was killed by V dead-dead and no one to blame except me.

I came back into the game as a novice and made my way back to the Ice Palace. The plan that had been formulated was to not swamp any T but stack it up in the room at the top of the main Tower and see what could be used to move the block of ice with the Princess in it. Ariiving at the top of the main Tower, I saw the princess was no longer there, just the ice block preventing access to the Treasure Chamber. I have no idea what happened to the princess.

Thinking that there might still be something we needed yet undiscovered in either the Provision Store or the Armoury, I made my way to the Gatehouse to try and get the Sentry moving. I plied him with tankards of beer to no avail. Even though he appeared drunk, I still could not get past him.

There was another little side issue of restoring the Unicorn?s horn. The Unicorn took some finding but came back to life when given back its horn. Of course, no one wanted ti kill it even though it was worth 450. Soft, superstitious lot!

Meanwhile, while I was messing around in the gatehouse, it all happened, somehow the ice block was melted and the way into the Treasure Chamber opened up. When I got there I was told that I was being given all the treasure. That was so very kind. I was sure I did not deserve it but took it anyway. I swamped it all and found myself in easy reach of hero. Greedily I emptied out the attic in the cottage which tripped me up 3268 and Hero. I was happy with this but more was to come. Hal collected more for me that I had missed and I finished the evening 5422 just 1K off superhero. Not bad for just swamping T.

This was a great quest. In my opinion the best yet and thanks to acc?ing Hal I added three more rooms to my map.

[ This Message was edited by: Royston on 18-07-2009 00:00 ]

View Profile of royston   Email royston      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
blib
explorer

Posted: 17-07-2009 18:23   
'Lose', not 'loose'.

hth.

(That's for telling us about the glorious weather you're experiencing).

View Profile of blib   Email blib      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
royston
ranger

Posted: 17-07-2009 18:45   
Quote:

On 17-07-2009 18:23, blib wrote:
'Lose', not 'loose'

Thank you Blib. That was a typo that was missed by the spellcheck. I DO know the difference. I just hope Richard didn't see it. It is a pet hate of his.

Armand
explorer

Posted: 17-07-2009 21:52   
Nice write-up. For the sake of not possibly spoiling it for future questers, I won't post here how we handled the block of ice. But if you remind me in-game when you next see me I'll tell you.

View Profile of Armand      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Armand
explorer

Posted: 17-07-2009 21:58   
I also agree that it has been my favourite quest so far. It has a certain feel about it that fits nicely with the game, and has been written with great attention to detail and with interesting room descriptions. I didn't notice any typos or bugs, and there were a multitude of side-puzzles to solve, just like any other area of the Land. For future questers who are curious, there is more to the barley, piggybank, dead unicorn, and reliquary, than merely swamping or ignoring them. Experiment and you'll be rewarded!

Other items which I are suspect are part of side-puzzles are: the weather vane (why else would it be worth points but unmoveable), the Alice in Wonderland items, the three statues, the paintings with clues on them (one of which was frozen to the wall, and was later gone when I looked again), and the dresser (which was way too tricky to remove for it to be a useless item).

View Profile of Armand      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
royston
ranger

Posted: 18-07-2009 08:04   
What happened to the Princess?

caboose
cabalist

Posted: 18-07-2009 15:10   
yeah i have to admit that through an unfortunate accident i had a bit of a problem with the painting that was stuck to the wall and it kinda broke......... sorry about that

View Profile of caboose      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
[New Topic]   [Reply]
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic

These forums may be read by anyone, but only registered mudII.co.uk
players may post. When posting, please refrain from behaviour
not tolerated in the game.

These forums are moderated.