[New Topic]   [Reply]
[Edit Profile]  [Edit Your Preferences]  [Search]
[Private Messages]  [Memberslist]  [FAQ]  [Login]
MUDII Forum Index » » General Chat » » Monks
Author Monks
Crazyfool
Wizard

Posted: 31-07-2009 08:40   
Well done for the peeps who were there last night. After reading quest guide it did seem to be a tricky one but you guys did well. Unless there are any objections I will run again in 2 weeks. Next week im not here but I will get someone to reset game so you guys can bash.

Cf

[ This Message was edited by: Crazyfool on 31-07-2009 08:40 ]

View Profile of Crazyfool      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Samson
friar

Posted: 31-07-2009 09:45   
Thanks for running the quest, it was a bit scary, especially when someone ventured into the lava!

View Profile of Samson      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
royston
ranger

Posted: 31-07-2009 16:02   
QUEST REPORT FOR 30TH JULY 2009.

I have always been concerned to write these reports in such a way that I do not give anything away that it is better for players to find out for themselves yet give an understanding to those that are in the know. This one I feel is a little different as all those who took part need to pool their knowledge or we will be up against it in two weeks time when it will be played again. I am going to spell out the little that I discovered and hopefully others will add their experiences,

Every new quest I say is better than the last and this one certainly stretched the thought processes.

There was a scramble of weapons and as before I was too late for both the dagger0 and the staff0, settling for the falchion. The next problem was to find the way in. The big clue was ?monk?, so naturally as the Pag was open, I made my way to the Food Storage Room. This was a mistake. CF kindly teleported me to the start an Ungrounded Guard Room. I later learnt that the entrance was via a closet in the Dormitory of the Monastery. I found a Warg Kennel and with the help of Kingcobra dispatched two wargs (shades of Tolkein?). I found my way to the Dark Library. The first book (Book13) is entitled "Thsssssdffffsxxx"and is mostly pictures One particularly striking one depicts (unusually) a solitary monk, wearing nothing but a serene smile and a simple white headscarf, wading through a river of fire. The caption to this picture is comparatively short and reads "Gggysssphhhout". I wish I had paid more attention to this a few minutes later. A second book ?The Philosophy of Pain? reads as follows (I quote):
?The way of the initiate is designed to test the mental resources of the initiate before exposing him to the intricate mental torture of the true way. Each puzzle tests an aspect of his reasoning and only in finally wresting the white heart from its guardian need the initiate show his worth in the physical plane. The reward for failure in the puzzle is death which, while responsible for thinning the ranks somewhat, does ensure a higher quality of journeyman, as well as regular flow of essentials".
So much for the library. Someone shouted they had found a journal but I never got to read it. Candles may be worth mentioning at this point as I came across brown one (Candle9) in a room called ?In front of the altar?. In the Underground Guard Room (right at the start) Dunkillin was carrying a green candle7, a grey candle14,a cyan candle12 and a blue candle13. I have no idea where he picked them up. Also, in the Underground Dormitory there was a yellow one (Number not known). I don?t think any of them were ever lit. This is something we will have to try next time and there are obviously a few more candles about the place.

Meanwhile I decided it would be a good idea to go walkabout on a lava river. I got taken away on the lava river losing stam all the time until I ended up in a lava pool and died (not dead-dead) but with a stam of just 1. I think the clue to successfully walking on lava was contained in book13 above. I think Kingcobra and Doughnut were acc?ing me at the time. Thal?ll learn ?em!

Getting back in proved very tiresome. There was no room in the closet. I had seen a few monks about the Cloisters on my way to the Dormitory and I believed there was one in the closet; not moving and thereby preventing access. I had to ask CF to winkle him out.

I made my way back down to the Underground Dormitory and suddenly and I still cannot see how from the log, I was in Pyramid Room1. There were three huge wooden counters here on the floor: number 2 - 4 feet across;3 - 5 feet across and 1 - 3 feet across. We moved the counters to the corresponding Pyramid Room number and a door to the North opened up in Pyramid Room3. Going north I was teleported into a room called the Inner Chamber. Written over the doorway to the south, the only exit, were the words: "Know thou wherest the Jabberwock, If ye don't I think ye ought.? And underneath these words appeared the following design.

This design is a map with the Inner Chamber unmarked and dead centre and the figures referring to the numbers of the Outer Chambers. So NW from Outer Chamber6 led to Outer Chamber4 and so on.

Suddenly the Jabberwocky was upon us (Shades now of Lewis Carroll?) It took the three of us to kill it after a long fight.

This was the first puzzle solved and CF doted on us to the extent of 500 points each.

The way forward now was via a doorway to the North in Outer Chamber1. The problem was magic prevented us from going through it. Doughnut found himself in what he described as a Cube Room, but had no idea how he got there. We all spent the rest of the time trying to figure it out and the significance of A, B and C on the wall map.

Well that as far as any of us got. I am not sure I got the bit about the wooden counters right and I thought there was a clue about A, B and C written on a wall somewhere but I can?t find it in the log.

Corrections and additions would be very welcome.

[ This Message was edited by: royston on 31-07-2009 16:50 ]

View Profile of royston   Email royston      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
caboose
cabalist

Posted: 31-07-2009 17:08   
yeah about the cube room i found out something very important....... don't go north twice cause you die.
glad i could help

View Profile of caboose      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Samson
friar

Posted: 31-07-2009 17:47   
Yes, that's the last time Dunkillin accompanies you Royston!

The wooden counter puzzle was quite easy to solve, so long as you checked the room descriptions.

It was a shame that the items Doughnut picked up, which I am sure allowed him access to the Cube Room didn't respawn once dropped so we all could have had a try.

caboose
cabalist

Posted: 01-08-2009 10:57   
in my defense........ i'm an idiot, you all know that so why do you give me stuff to drop when i die???

View Profile of caboose      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
royston
ranger

Posted: 02-08-2009 07:37   
Quote:

On 01-08-2009 10:57, caboose wrote:
in my defense........ i'm an idiot, you all know that so why do you give me stuff to drop when i die???

At least you did not lead the team down a red hot river without even a boat!

View Profile of royston   Email royston      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Fiz
cabalist

Posted: 05-08-2009 18:13   
nice writeup, Royston! I wanna play the next time it's run... Hal will be mapping, no doubt, so you guys will have to let me tag along.

View Profile of Fiz        Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Samson
friar

Posted: 05-08-2009 19:56   
You can play with us Fiz!

[New Topic]   [Reply]
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic

These forums may be read by anyone, but only registered mudII.co.uk
players may post. When posting, please refrain from behaviour
not tolerated in the game.

These forums are moderated.