[Edit Profile]  [Edit Your Preferences]  [Search]
[Private Messages]  [Memberslist]  [FAQ]  [Login]
MUDII Forum Index » » General Chat » » MUDmeet write-up
Author MUDmeet write-up
royston
ranger

Posted: 09-09-2009 18:58   
MUDmeet 2009 at Worthing.

I have been debating with myself about using persona or real life names in this report, but realised that I would still have to stonewall one or two, so game names it will be.

I was at the appointed place (Slicks Pool Hall, Worthing) at the appointed time (high noon) and found the bar without the aid of a map. I got the usual blank look of total miscomprehension when I asked for any good English Bitter that had NOT been spoilt by going through a chiller. In the end I settled for a bottle of Newcastle Brown out of the fridge - cold but not freezing.

Cenedra showed up very quickly as did Hawumph and we went off upstairs to play pool. The instructions on the wall were for nine ball pool and, as we had fifteen balls plus the white, we were not sure quite what to do so we played to our own rules. These were fairly basic in that you went for the lowest numbered ball on the table and worked up as each one got potted. No score was kept so that no one would know who the winner was. But even this proved too complicated and there was an amendment to these rules that you could try and pot any ball that took you fancy regardless of numerical order. JB, Blib, Sabretooth and Throwaway all showed up and we all had a few beers as we each in turn took cue in hand.

When we had all quite enough of this it was decided we should trot off to the Charles Dickens, which was a Charles Dickens of a walk away. By this time I wasn?t worried about chilled or unchilled beer and I drank whatever came my way. We were there for some considerable time.

MUDmeets are often regarded as opportunities to get hints on the game from more seasoned players in unguarded moments. But all that happened this time was that I got two more targets to achieve from Sabretooth: To swamp the crown solo and to get the coal without killing any rats. Thinking about it I have worked out a way to do the second task but I am sure it was not the way he had in mind as it would take too long and it is too obvious a way. But I will try it soon when I go North.

Anyway we stayed in the pub. Pushing tables together as more players turned up, to the glare of the landlord till quite late when we headed off to the Indian.

Yes it goes a bit blank here. I know Hal and Fiz were there and so were Doughnut and Caboose (I was seeing double by now). I saw in Fiz's face that I looked nothing like she imagined. There were no untoward incidents in the restaurant that I observed. I hope I behaved myself. Next day I did find some pictures in my camera taken during the meal but by me. So, after a first-class nosh-up I got poured into a taxi and sent off to my B & B.

Sunday morning I found Throwaway on the pier but not about to leap off, and we went to a caf? for coffee except that I had copious amounts of orange juice. JB and Blib appeared and soon it was off again to another establishment, the George which involved a ride in Blib?s car as it was a fair way off. This was a pub with a carvery and we had an excellent Sunday lunch and we all behaved ourselves except Blib who was complaining about there being no pork available on the menu. Under all the circumstances this struck me as highly amusing but then Blib is no ordinary anarchist.

On the way back we stopped off at a car rally for minis in the town and I had a nostalgic trip down memory lane.

When people play an interactive game such as MUD on the Internet, I think it important to meet up occasionally in real life. There is something sad in only having friends on the web that you never meet. These MUDmeets are great fun and this one was no exception. Thanks must go to Doughnut, assisted by Cenedra, for organising it. It would be difficult to find a better venue for the next one than Worthing.

[ This Message was edited by: royston on 09-09-2009 19:12 ]

View Profile of royston   Email royston      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
blib
explorer

Posted: 09-09-2009 21:19   
You don't 'alf go on Royston.

View Profile of blib   Email blib      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Fiz
cabalist

Posted: 10-09-2009 10:44   
Well to be fair, I *had* seen you before since I have you on facebook, but.. before I added you on FB, I had envisioned you as a charming, blonde 20-something woman. So it was a shock when I finally saw your photo.. I guess seeing you in person made the discrepancy more real. I was also shocked to see that Blib was not Jamaican.

View Profile of Fiz        Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Crowley
pioneer

Posted: 10-09-2009 18:33   
Where's the bit where someone beats you to the dagger and staff so you get the falchion?

View Profile of Crowley   Email Crowley   ICQ status         Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
blib
explorer

Posted: 11-09-2009 09:20   
Quote:

On 10-09-2009 10:44, Fiz wrote:
I was also shocked to see that Blib was not Jamaican.

It's easy for others to get Jamaican and Barbadian mixed up.

Samson
friar

Posted: 11-09-2009 18:23   
Funnily enough, at one point whilst in the pub there was a discussion about the best weapons, with Royston stating the falchion was the uber weapon!

View Profile of Samson      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
royston
ranger

Posted: 11-09-2009 21:22   
Quote:

On 11-09-2009 18:23, Samson wrote:
Funnily enough, at one point whilst in the pub there was a discussion about the best weapons, with Royston stating the falchion was the uber weapon!

Rubbish!!

View Profile of royston   Email royston      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Hawumph
Arch-Wizard

Posted: 12-09-2009 08:52   
Quote:

On 11-09-2009 09:20, blib wrote:

It's easy for others to get Jamaican and Barbadian mixed up.

Personally, I would NEVER mix you up with Barbie!

How 'bout them transparent dangling carrots? It's not fair to deny me, the cross-eyed bear that you gave to me. You otter know!!!

View Profile of Hawumph   Email Hawumph   Goto the website of Hawumph      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
blib
explorer

Posted: 12-09-2009 10:31   
Thank you for your support.

Crowley
pioneer

Posted: 12-09-2009 10:33   
Quote:

On 11-09-2009 21:22, royston wrote:
Quote:

On 11-09-2009 18:23, Samson wrote:

Rubbish!!

Yea, damn straight. Everyone knows it's the Tomahawk.

View Profile of Crowley   Email Crowley   ICQ status         Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
[New Topic]   [Reply]
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic

These forums may be read by anyone, but only registered mudII.co.uk
players may post. When posting, please refrain from behaviour
not tolerated in the game.

These forums are moderated.