[New Topic]   [Reply]
[Edit Profile]  [Edit Your Preferences]  [Search]
[Private Messages]  [Memberslist]  [FAQ]  [Login]
MUDII Forum Index » » General Chat » » Wizrunning
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Author Wizrunning
blib
explorer

Posted: 14-10-2009 14:17   
Hal,

I'm pleased that you used the word 'loose', rather than 'lose'.

If there's one thing I can't stand........

View Profile of blib   Email blib      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Turrican
Arch-Wizard

Posted: 14-10-2009 14:55   
Quote:

On 14-10-2009 10:39, Armand wrote:
Good points of course. I guess in my mind I was thinking of those as somewhat "sneaky" tactics so I didn't cover them. But they are indeed common and give the pker significant disadvantages.

Your first point could be seen as a sign of sneaking too, players usually have their own opinions on what tactics are unsporting (typically what they do is OK, and what the other guy does is not!).

Quote:

The kind of ceiling Crowley was describing is a hypothetical situation where it is impossible to advance any further in terms of ability and the only way to break through is by repeated attempts and eventually getting a good run of luck.

If a player avoids danger, difficulty, new challenges etc they will not improve, when this happens it's a self imposed limit/ceiling.

Quote:

On 14-10-2009 10:53, Armand wrote:
EDIT: The above assumes that you have already maximised your game knowledge and fighting ability.

I haven't, hands up who thinks they have?

[ This Message was edited by: turrican on 14-10-2009 15:16 ]

View Profile of Turrican      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Vulnax
explorer

Posted: 14-10-2009 18:31   
All good comments above!

Armand / Turrican - gave me some things to think about if / when I play again ... 'tis indeed an artifical ceiling for me as I know there is more I can learn / improve on, but I need to clear time to play... and yeah it's protective of the personae rather than the points / level mainly due to the time needed to get back there.. OK it may only be hours / a few sets but time's the problem!

Funny, I don't mind the in game danger / losses but I do when it's a player who causes it... spoiling my set with an attack or killing me!

Keep it going, fun read!

V

View Profile of Vulnax   Goto the website of Vulnax        Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Armand
explorer

Posted: 15-10-2009 12:03   
Quote:
I haven't, hands up who thinks they have?

Ok, rephrase: assumes you have gained enough knowledge/ability to have a chance at wizrunning.

View Profile of Armand      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Armand
explorer

Posted: 15-10-2009 12:06   
I think once you have reached a point of being able to get back to sorc relatively quickly/easily then you shouldn't be concerned about dying and having to get back to where you were. If your goal is to learn and not to try to make wiz, then sorc is sufficient and the benefits of higher levels in terms of learning are relatively minor. Fill up an account or two with sorcs and then start engaging in fights with them. Sure, invis is handy, but you can learn all the other fighting tactics without it.

Sabretooth
Wizard

Posted: 15-10-2009 20:12   
Nice posts Hal some sound advice about wiz running. Any player that is wiz running should be capable of 13-15k resets, and be prepared for the ups and downs that come with playing a highlife. Don't be too over protective about your persona's points, on a bad day you will stand to lose more points than you gain, and on a good day you could make 20-30k, players seem to hit a wall when they become to over protective, this was something I was guilty of in the past on previous wiz run attempts but learnt from it.
Once you can make a sorcerer in one reset you begin to realise that dying is not the end of a wiz run its just the begining. As long as you play hard and don't avoid fights, and play with the right attitude you will succeed eventually, just need to be determined enough to stick at it.

[ This Message was edited by: Sabretooth on 15-10-2009 20:44 ]

View Profile of Sabretooth      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Turrican
Arch-Wizard

Posted: 15-10-2009 20:24   
Quote:

On 14-10-2009 18:31, Vulnax wrote:
but I need to clear time to play... and yeah it's protective of the personae rather than the points / level mainly due to the time needed to get back there.. OK it may only be hours / a few sets but time's the problem!

Set out to spend some of your play time doing something different, anything (except water-snakes).

Quote:

Funny, I don't mind the in game danger / losses but I do when it's a player who causes it... spoiling my set with an attack or killing me!

Another person has no right to damage your property (personae)?

Quote:

On 15-10-2009 12:06, Armand wrote:
Fill up an account or two with sorcs and then start engaging in fights with them. Sure, invis is handy, but you can learn all the other fighting tactics without it.

There's more to competing with other players than just fighting, well there used to be...

[ This Message was edited by: turrican on 15-10-2009 21:03 ]

Vulnax
explorer

Posted: 15-10-2009 21:44   
Quote:

Another person has no right to damage your property (personae)?

Well, I wouldn't accept in RL, maybe too much carry over?? Perhaps I consider it too personally or as "bullying" if they deliberately attack or steal from me or spoil a sequence I am on ...
poor wee lamb I am!

When I can play for a bit I have tried stuff I don't normally do... to try it out, learn, I forgot so much I need to !

V

View Profile of Vulnax   Goto the website of Vulnax        Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Armand
explorer

Posted: 16-10-2009 13:47   
You can't compare RL stuff to the game. You wouldn't feel angry at your friend for beating you in a game of red alert or <insert favourite RTS game> that you invested hours into building up a city, or beating you at a 2-player console game in your living room, or a game of football that you spent a few hours getting ready for and/or travelling to and from. I don't see MUD2 as any different. It's a competitive game, the whole point of wizrunning is to beat other people If you average out each flee/death that you take then they're probably only costing you around 10-20 mins worth of playing time per loss assuming you are good enough to get the kind of set scores mentioned earlier. And if you're not and need to learn more but don't like being attacked during the learning stages, use the PP feature! That's one of the reasons its there.

Turrican
Arch-Wizard

Posted: 17-10-2009 00:17   
Quote:

On 15-10-2009 21:44, Vulnax wrote:
Well, I wouldn't accept in RL, maybe too much carry over??

Maybe, the less time required to rebuild the less it will bother you hopefully.

Quote:

When I can play for a bit I have tried stuff I don't normally do... to try it out, learn, I forgot so much I need to !

Make notes?

Vulnax
explorer

Posted: 18-10-2009 22:29   
It's just like therapy this, I expect!

Helping me see why I stop a persoane at certain levels of achievement... or why I stop playing.

V

Crowley
pioneer

Posted: 22-10-2009 21:52   
Quote:

On 13-10-2009 13:02, Turrican wrote:
Quote:

On 12-10-2009 22:24, Crowley wrote:
I haven't done much, but I found you tend to reach a certain level of ability, and then hit a hard ceiling where you're simply not good enough, and only persistence will see you through.

Persistence with that particular strategy?

As Sabretooth indicates, whether it was a wall of your ability, a wall of not being able to think of a new way to do things, a wall of another player who consistently outplays you, it's still a wall to you. Like a mental block that takes nothing but banging your head against it again and again and again to get through. And I never had the persistence or time to do that.

I remember Droo used to say to me "play another reset, play three in a row!", and I'd think, "who has the time to sit and play three resets in a row?!"

View Profile of Crowley   Email Crowley   ICQ status         Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Turrican
Arch-Wizard

Posted: 23-10-2009 00:37   
Quote:

On 22-10-2009 21:52, Crowley wrote:
As Sabretooth indicates, whether it was a wall of your ability, a wall of not being able to think of a new way to do things,

I think some players are very good at defending themselves from criticism so don't learn anything from it.

Angkor
pilgrim

Posted: 26-10-2009 03:14   
Quote:

On 15-10-2009 20:24, Turrican wrote:
Set out to spend some of your play time doing something different, anything (except water-snakes).

m'kay, I'll bite - why not water-snakes?

View Profile of Angkor      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Zalagar
pioneer

Posted: 26-10-2009 11:58   
Doing water-snakes can be slow and tedious, and is probably not done unless you can't think of something better to do, or just don't feel up to taking on bigger challenges.

View Profile of Zalagar      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Armand
explorer

Posted: 26-10-2009 11:59   
In the context of advancing game knowledge, water-snakes aren't going to teach you anything new once you've done it a few times, and they have a very poor rate of point scoring compared to other puzzles (about 500 points, but you have to spend a long time getting them).

EDIT: beaten to it!

[ This Message was edited by: Armand on 26-10-2009 12:00 ]

royston
ranger

Posted: 26-10-2009 13:19   
It surely depends on what level you are playing at. At Warrior or even Hero 500 points is worth having.

EDIT: Doh. I forgot for a moment this was about Wiz running.

[ This Message was edited by: royston on 26-10-2009 13:23 ]

View Profile of royston   Email royston      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Turrican
Arch-Wizard

Posted: 26-10-2009 18:43   
Quote:

On 26-10-2009 11:59, Armand wrote:
In the context of advancing game knowledge, water-snakes aren't going to teach you anything new once you've done it a few times,

They won't teach you anything the first few times that you won't learn elsewhere, except the (bad imo) habit of killing water-snakes for points.

Crazyfool
Wizard

Posted: 26-10-2009 19:45   
Turrican loves the snakes....here is a statement from his office/shed.

"I love em. Loads of fun...WATER way to have a good time...."

Hmm...

Cf

View Profile of Crazyfool      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Angkor
pilgrim

Posted: 27-10-2009 00:25   
Thanks Zalagar et al, I suspected that might have been it, but it was worth asking anyway. The occasional set I like to do as many tasks as I can get through, or kill as many mobiles as possible, but generally I don't bother with the ws anyway, unless it's to kill the odd one when looking for vials or the ls.

View Profile of Angkor      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
[New Topic]   [Reply]
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic

These forums may be read by anyone, but only registered mudII.co.uk
players may post. When posting, please refrain from behaviour
not tolerated in the game.

These forums are moderated.