[New Topic]   [Reply]
[Edit Profile]  [Edit Your Preferences]  [Search]
[Private Messages]  [Memberslist]  [FAQ]  [Login]
MUDII Forum Index » » General Chat » » Halloween Bash (29/10/09)
Author Halloween Bash (29/10/09)
royston
ranger

Posted: 30-10-2009 11:51   
HALLOWEEN BASH 29/10/2009

We all met up as usual in the Tearoom just before 9:00 pm. Strangely there was a barrel in the room. Cenendra went apple-bobbing and managed to get one. I was persuaded, as were several others, to enter the barrel and I was immediately thrown out of the barrel by an invisible phantasm, as were the several others.

There were enough of us on to open the Pagoda and the Wizards dealt with enough of the extra mobiles this generated, to make the game playable. One of the first mobiles I came across was an Evil Toy Chucky Doll. I was just considering this when the Vampire appeared in front of me and immediately set about me. Even though I had managed to pick up the Falchion ,and use it, the outcome was inevitable. I fled. A little later I was blocked by a skeleton and in a moment of frustration attacked it. Again there was an inevitable flee. And I was now about 2K points down.

There was a toll on a bell as Raflles died to the Eagle. The first casualty. In the hut I swapped my Falchion for an Epee. A bit later I found a Nanny Goat. She dodged off when I tried to milk her and after chasing her round for a bit I managed to kill her. I came across a Toy Cloth Wereclown. Too late Sabretooth warned to take care; I was already fully occupied and despite hitting it a number of times I seemed to be having little effect. Thankfully Jellybean put in an appearance and helped me out. The mobile fled and by the time I went after it Jellybean had finished it off.

This was my third Halloween Bash and I was determined to find Dracula's Mansion in the Evil Wood and properly explore it. It took me a little while to work out how to get into the Porch. Like all quests you had to use 'Enter' and 'Enter Porch' did the trick. Inside I found a mobile called Renfield who presented only one problem. He fled into the fireplace a single-player room. And I had to come back to him later. He was supposed to have great physical strength in the book but I managed to defeat him after chasing him round the house a bit. In the cellar I found a painting on the wall which gave a value of 1158 points. I found it was too heavy to lift. I persuaded Kingcobra to help me, even though I had not the faintest idea how to share the points, but even then we could not lift it. Bash or no bash it would have been worth swanping.

Meanwhile someone had been shouting for an unblind without saying who it was. These pleas tend to be ignored when the player fails to say who they are. But comments were made later. I had come across some of the more expected mobiles like the Fox and dealt with them. I bumped into the Skeleton, who remembered me from the start of the set and wasted no time getting stuck into me. This time I came out best.

I started to wonder what was left and going by what tended to be overlooked in previous bashes I went after the swan. That needed a bit of extra kit which took some finding. As I was looking for this item I came across the Phantom of the Opera. I was losing points just fighting it - even when it missed me. Once again Jellybean came to my aid and we finished it off between us. Kingcobra found me and I, having found the necessary kit, went to find the Swan.

I was still 974 points down and had a lot of ground to catch up. I noticed that those in the Land had been given the pre-fix 'Halloween' while those in the Tearoom were given 'Tea Drinking'. This was a great help to those playing and invaluable to me now writing this report. Out of interest 'QW' showed:-

Crazyfool the Halloween wizard
Sabretooth the Halloween wizard
Cathnar the Halloween superheroine
Raffles the Halloween warrior
Kingcobra the Halloween swordsman
Osterban the Halloween swordsman
Unlucky the dragon-slaying, Halloween necromancer
Fiz the tea drinking necromancess-
Hal the tea drinking warlock
Jellybean the Halloween necromancer
Royston the Halloween necromancer

The SV showed 47 survivors with just 38 minutes left of play. Just over 1 per minute left. This was now possible. Although the Watersnakes had all been accounted for, The Pony was still alive and presumably the Snowbird too. I always find it helpful if whoever goes after the Watersnakes finishes the job off with the Pony and Snowbird. Even a non-MU can get back with the obvious bit of kit. After the Pony I was surprised to find a Lynx and after the Lynx was killed I went after the Snowbird.

Next there was actual teamwork on the Keep. Between us, Jellybean, Kingcobra and I, managed it in the traditional way, floor by floor. The only difference was to be found on the Top Floor when the Maiden had been replaced by a more formidable Bride of Frankenstein. There was a bit of a muddle over sharing the Treasure though I did leave some behind on the Top Floor for Jellybean. I hope he found it.

'Wh Sk' showed one in the Priest Hole and 'Wh Sk0' showed it to be in the Fossil Room. There was also an ape in the Meditation Room in the Pagoda. By the time I got there, there was no sign of it. Obviously someone had got to it first.

I was not happy that the Mansion had been fully explored and I went back. I found several locked doors which I had to knock down, not having a key. I was worried about using an epee to beat a door down. In real life it would have snapped but it worked well in The Land. I found one Child and when that died there were only five mobiles left.

Suddenly it was all over. On quitting I found I was just over 4K up on the evening, so I had made up my 2K loss at the start and another 1K on top. All very satisfying.

I never did find the Priest Hole. Maybe next Halloween.

EDIT:-
It looks as though there was some dirty work at the cross roads. Here is the final OBIT:-

*obit
The following players have died in fights this reset:
Raffles the Halloween swordsman, killed by Osterban the Halloween
swordsman,
Osterban the Halloween warrior, killed by Raffles the Halloween
swordsman,
Raffles the Halloween sorcerer, killed by the eagle.

It does look as though Raffles attacked Osterban first, though I might be mistaken on that

[ This Message was edited by: royston on 30-10-2009 12:18 ]

[ This Message was edited by: royston on 31-10-2009 06:52 ]

View Profile of royston   Email royston      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Magician
cleric

Posted: 30-10-2009 17:51   
I do enjoy your write ups Royston

Thanks

JB

View Profile of Magician   Email Magician      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
royston
ranger

Posted: 31-10-2009 07:54   
Quote:

On 30-10-2009 17:51, Magician wrote:
I do enjoy your write ups Royston

Thanks

JB

Thank you, JB. I enjoy writing them. On a Friday morning I re-live Thursday night.

My self-criticism is that they are all about me and not about what happened to anyone else. But this is the way of things when that is all I have to go on. If you want it more broadly encompassed you will have to send me your logs or persuade a Wiz to send me one of theirs.

I do do my best not to give too many secrets away. Not that I know any worth sharing.

My only difficulty is with inverted commas. I use MS Works and 'hello' comes out ‘hello’. It all has to be edited; often several times when I do not pick them all out first, second or sometimes third times.

[ This Message was edited by: royston on 31-10-2009 08:00 ]

View Profile of royston   Email royston      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
blib
explorer

Posted: 31-10-2009 21:36   
Quote:

On 31-10-2009 07:54, royston wrote:
It all has to be edited; often several times when I do not pick them all out first, second or sometimes third times.

[ This Message was edited by: royston on 31-10-2009 08:00 ]

Oh, the irony.

(too long).

View Profile of blib   Email blib      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
royston
ranger

Posted: 01-11-2009 12:25   
Blib,

I thought you might like to know I have enough stuff to draw a decent map of Dracula's Mansion. I would send you a copy (you have often told me privately how much you enjoy looking at maps), but I would hate to be accused of divulging information to another player to the detriment of the game.

blib
explorer

Posted: 01-11-2009 23:46   
How dare you accuse me of being a 'player'!

View Profile of blib   Email blib      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
royston
ranger

Posted: 02-11-2009 09:58   
Quote:

On 01-11-2009 23:46, blib wrote:
How dare you accuse me of being a 'player'!

Don't you mean 'just another player'?

[New Topic]   [Reply]
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic

These forums may be read by anyone, but only registered mudII.co.uk
players may post. When posting, please refrain from behaviour
not tolerated in the game.

These forums are moderated.