[New Topic]   [Reply]
[Edit Profile]  [Edit Your Preferences]  [Search]
[Private Messages]  [Memberslist]  [FAQ]  [Login]
MUDII Forum Index » » General Chat » » Appeal to lift Ban
Author Appeal to lift Ban
royston
ranger

Posted: 02-11-2009 16:19   
It is now a month since Ilisity was banned from this forum and I am formally asking for his re-instatement.

Forums in Ancient Rome where places were ordinary citizens could express their views on any topic without fear of arrest, punishment or persecution. This concept has been codified into English Common Law as a basic right of free speech. But there is an equal right not to be subjected to abusive, obscene or insulting remarks. A fine balance has to be drawn between these two rights and I am suggesting that a month's ban probably meets the case. To ban anyone from a modern forum on the Internet is in effect denying them access to an area where they can exercise the right of free speech and the decision to ban should not be taken lightly. I am not suggesting it has been in this case.

I have explained to Ilisity that his intention to be humorous is irrelevant and that it is only the perception of the listener that matters. If the person hearing the remarks genuinely finds them abusive then they are abusive.

Ilisity is unaware of the length of his ban. He seems to think it may be for life. But if it is felt he cannot be re-instated just yet, a limit on his ban should be set and he should be informed of it. Anything less would contary to natural justice.

[ This Message was edited by: royston on 02-11-2009 16:23 ]

View Profile of royston   Email royston      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Fiz
cabalist

Posted: 02-11-2009 17:56   
Royston... did you actually read what Leak posted? I have no doubt that he realized 100% that it was offensive. I was named personally in his post and so was Hal, in very disgusting, inappropriate and not-funny ways (and if *I'm* actually offended by something you know it has to be bad). The word rape was mentioned. I'm sure your intentions are good, but I have no doubt that Leak's are not, and never will be.

View Profile of Fiz        Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
royston
ranger

Posted: 02-11-2009 18:27   
All I am saying is that surely a month's ban is enough.

Other people, particularly those affected, will have different views which perhaps have a greater claim for consideration than my own. As you rightly say, I did not read what ws written. But whatever is decided, even if it is a life-ban, he should be informed. As it is, he is in complete ignorance as to the extent of his ban.

View Profile of royston   Email royston      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
blib
explorer

Posted: 02-11-2009 18:33   
Although I'm personally not affected by this issue, life bans are common on many fora.

His comments have offended Fiz and others deeply.

Actions have consequences Royston.

View Profile of blib   Email blib      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
blib
explorer

Posted: 02-11-2009 18:35   
As usual, I didn't read your post in full Royston.

I do agree with you that he should be told how long his ban is to run for.

Turrican
Arch-Wizard

Posted: 02-11-2009 20:22   
Quote:

On 02-11-2009 18:35, blib wrote:
As usual, I didn't read your post in full Royston.

Me neither .

Quote:

I do agree with you that he should be told how long his ban is to run for.

Is use of the word "ban" without qualifiers not clear enough?

View Profile of Turrican      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Fiz
cabalist

Posted: 02-11-2009 23:09   
I guess Leak is used to getting 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th chances, so he may very well not understand that bans are generally considered permanent.

View Profile of Fiz        Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
blib
explorer

Posted: 03-11-2009 10:05   
Quote:

On 02-11-2009 20:22, Turrican wrote:

Is use of the word "ban" without qualifiers not clear enough?

You've not heard of "a one year driving ban" ?

[ This Message was edited by: turrican on 03-11-2009 12:33 ]

Hawumph
Arch-Wizard

Posted: 03-11-2009 10:31   
Quote:

On 03-11-2009 10:05, blib wrote:

You've not heard of "a one year driving ban" ?

Yes, that's a qualified ban, as in "one year".

As opposed to ban. Which lacks a limiter or qualification?

View Profile of Hawumph   Email Hawumph   Goto the website of Hawumph      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
blib
explorer

Posted: 03-11-2009 13:09   
"Ahm oot".

royston
ranger

Posted: 25-04-2012 11:48   
One thing adg has done, bringing these old topics to the surface, is to get me to re-read them. Perhaps the most amusing item in this one is Blib's use of 'fora'. Most people would use 'forums' as the plural these days (the word being anglicisied by now). It does nothing but betray Blib's public school background.

[ This Message was edited by: royston on 26-04-2012 19:05 ]

Hawumph
Arch-Wizard

Posted: 26-04-2012 17:46   
Quote:

Most people would use 'forums' as the plural these days (the word being anglisied by now). It does nothing but betray Blib's public school background.

Mine is betrayed by the fact that I spotted the word anglisied, and decided to translate it for people. The word is anglicised. And basically means to make English, in form or style.

How 'bout them transparent dangling carrots? It's not fair to deny me, the cross-eyed bear that you gave to me. You otter know!!!

View Profile of Hawumph   Email Hawumph   Goto the website of Hawumph      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
royston
ranger

Posted: 26-04-2012 19:02   
Oooops! That should teach me not to be so cocky. I admit the word just did not look right and now I can see why. The spell check changed the 's' to a 'z' and I decided that that had to be the American spelling and ignored it. The OED shows it spelt with the 'ic' and a 'z'. That's where I should have checked but I was too lazy.

Armand
explorer

Posted: 30-04-2012 17:30   
I barely remember this event, even though apparently I was on the receiving end of it.

View Profile of Armand      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
royston
ranger

Posted: 03-05-2012 10:21   
Quote:

On 30-04-2012 17:30, Armand wrote:
I barely remember this event, even though apparently I was on the receiving end of it.

What do you mean? This was all about 'LEAK' as he was known in the game. He called himself something else on the forum ('ILLISITY'). He was called something else by most players in the game too. Or are you telling us that this turbulent character was just another of your many personas (or personae as Blib would probably have it).

[ This Message was edited by: royston on 03-05-2012 10:24 ]

trollsmash
cleric

Posted: 03-05-2012 13:07   
Quote:

On 03-05-2012 10:21, royston wrote:
Or are you telling us that this turbulent character was just another of your many personas

The plot thickens...

[ This Message was edited by: trollsmash on 24-07-2012 20:37 ]

View Profile of trollsmash      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Armand
explorer

Posted: 25-07-2012 12:30   
Quote:
What do you mean? This was all about 'LEAK' as he was known in the game. He called himself something else on the forum ('ILLISITY'). He was called something else by most players in the game too. Or are you telling us that this turbulent character was just another of your many personas (or personae as Blib would probably have it).

Oops, I didn't notice you replied. Sorry, I should have been more clear.. I was apparently on the receiving end of the incident which caused Leak to be banned, is what I meant. Not on the receiving end of the ban. I think I do remember it now though.. he posted some conversation we'd had in the tea room, which was a bit erm... distasteful? I still don't remember the specifics though.

View Profile of Armand      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
royston
ranger

Posted: 26-07-2012 11:48   
Hey Armand, This is all from so long ago now. I was only pulling your leg suggesting you might have been Leak. A bit of very gentle trolling.

These old threads have only all surfaced again because of undesirable spams that scurrilous traders have been adding to them, choosing each one at random, it seems.

But Leak was a character. I was told something of the background of his banishment by Blib and can only conclude it was justified.

I can well remember Leak abandoning his persona in the middle of the badly paved road, weighed down with valuable T and several useful weapons, then in real life going down to the chippy, and then, on his return, being surprised that he had been attacked and killed.

blib
explorer

Posted: 26-07-2012 17:54   
Armand. I thought you were banned? You should be. Someone should start a petition.

[New Topic]   [Reply]
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic

These forums may be read by anyone, but only registered mudII.co.uk
players may post. When posting, please refrain from behaviour
not tolerated in the game.

These forums are moderated.