[New Topic]   [Reply]
[Edit Profile]  [Edit Your Preferences]  [Search]
[Private Messages]  [Memberslist]  [FAQ]  [Login]
MUDII Forum Index » » General Chat » » Thursday's Quest (26/11/2009)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Author Thursday's Quest (26/11/2009)
royston
ranger

Posted: 28-11-2009 10:53   
QUEST REPORT 26TH NOVEMBER 2009

A new quest means a whole new area has opened up. with new places to explore, new tasks to perform and new obstacles to overcome and always a grand objective to achieve in order to complete the quest. It's almost like your first day in MUD and I love them. This quest was created by Sabretooth and I was expecting and I got great things.

I had already heard that the starting point was the Ground Floor of the Keep. I made my way there having armed myself with a staff and missing out on all the wafers. Sure enough, there was there a blue glowing halo which looked like some kind of portal. The usual command is 'enter'. 'Enter Halo' would not work but 'Enter Portal' did.

An automatic and magic transportation took me to 'Beneath the Keep'. Here was a sign affixed to the wall. The best advice that anyone can give you in MUD is to read everything that might have some writing on it. Reading this particular sign, gave you the objective to complete the quest. It seemed there was a princess somewhere to be rescued from a well guarded dungeon.

From here spread a large complex of long passages, small passages and dungeons, together with the odd Guard Room, Torture Chamber and Execution Chamber. These were patrolled by Imps who were fairly easy to overcome. The Goblins proved more difficult. Many of the Imps carried gold coins which if collected in sufficient number were well worth swamping. I did wonder though if they might be of use later as bribe money.

My first night in a new quest is generally one of exploration and little more. I did join up with Ixtab (who was brandishing a whip) and Paine (who was not) for a while. It seemed to me to be on several levels though I cannot be sure until I draw a map. There was certainly some going down and going up in various places. There was a Guard Tower to go up with some nasty mobiles on each floor. I also found a Troll?s Store. But no Troll. By then he must gave been dealt with by another player.

I don?t think anyone found where the princess was incarcerated. But that can hardly be expected on the first run.

With two minutes left I was busy beating a door down with my dagger and just as it splintered, in the finest traditions of Indiana Jones, I was crushed to death by a quickly rolling bolder. Luckily I was only dead and not dead-dead.

The area covered by this quest seems vast to me, both in geographical terms and in the sense of finding out what has to be done to complete it. The room descriptions are very - er - descriptive. I had them on 'verbose' and reading them fully added a lot to the ambience of the experience.

Thank you Sabre for a great quest.

[ This Message was edited by: royston on 28-11-2009 11:04 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Royston on 08-12-2009 15:20 ]

View Profile of royston   Email royston      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Armand
explorer

Posted: 28-11-2009 13:23   
I too spend the entire time just exploring (well ok, mapping) and didn't try any of the puzzles. I killed a single imp and a ton of cockroaches, which were harder than you might think. It was a fun area to map, with none of the irreversible directions that are common in the rest of the Land. It also comes complete with its own maze which was large and complex enough to rival the hedge maze and scriptorium, including rooms where glow doesn't work (although there is an alternative way to see), and almost 2k worth of treasure if you manage to map the entire thing.

I look forward to seeing playing this quest again.

[ This Message was edited by: Armand on 28-11-2009 14:06 ]

View Profile of Armand      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
blib
explorer

Posted: 28-11-2009 15:47   
Quote:

On 28-11-2009 10:53, royston wrote:
QUEST REPORT 26TH NOVEMBER 2009

This quest was created by Sabretooth and I was expecting and I got great things.

You crawler.

View Profile of blib   Email blib      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
royston
ranger

Posted: 29-11-2009 09:41   
Normally I would ignore your silly remarks, Blib, but on this occasion I will give you the satisafaction of biting,

The two Wizzes we do see here on a regular basis do a great deal to make this game enjoyable. And I for one am grateful. They hit the balance between interference and laisez-faire just right. I paid a short visit to another MUD recently where things were very different. One Wiz was almost taking an active role and was certainly broadcasting a running commentary to the extent of warning players, who had just acquired the icons, that another player was intent on stealing them.

That would never have happened here. Our two Wizzes, and let?s face it: there are only two, know what it?s all about.

I say only two, but that?s not quite right, is it Blib? So, it?s about time you showed us who you really are. Reveal yourself - you Wizmort. Come out of the cupboard!

View Profile of royston   Email royston      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Sabretooth
Wizard

Posted: 29-11-2009 10:26   
Thank you for your kind comments Royston and Armand, I will look forward to running the quest for you again.

Regards,
Sabre.

View Profile of Sabretooth      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
blib
explorer

Posted: 29-11-2009 18:14   
Quote:

On 29-11-2009 09:41, royston wrote:
Normally I would ignore your silly remarks, Blib, but on this occasion I will give you the satisafaction of biting,

The two Wizzes we do see here on a regular basis do a great deal to make this game enjoyable. And I for one am grateful. They hit the balance between interference and laisez-faire just right. I paid a short visit to another MUD recently where things were very different. One Wiz was almost taking an active role and was certainly broadcasting a running commentary to the extent of warning players, who had just acquired the icons, that another player was intent on stealing them.

That would never have happened here. Our two Wizzes, and let?s face it: there are only two, know what it?s all about.

I say only two, but that?s not quite right, is it Blib? So, it?s about time you showed us who you really are. Reveal yourself - you Wizmort. Come out of the cupboard!

For once, I shall be serious Royston.

I totally agree with you. Sabre, CF, Hawumph et al. do an excellent job, usually with no thanks from us whatsoever.

My comment was purely for comedic effect and does read extremely starkly.

As for me being a wizmort.......there's medication that you can get for your delusions. Consult your carer.

Crazyfool
Wizard

Posted: 29-11-2009 20:11   
Get a room lads.

View Profile of Crazyfool      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Turrican
Arch-Wizard

Posted: 30-11-2009 00:18   
Quote:

On 29-11-2009 09:41, royston wrote:

If Blib was a wizmort, who would he be?

Quote:

On 29-11-2009 20:11, Crazyfool wrote:
Get a room lads.

We gotta make ourselves one of these quest dooberry things...

View Profile of Turrican      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Crazyfool
Wizard

Posted: 01-12-2009 19:26   
We did remember?

Foddy said it was:

"a complete disgrace. To misuse Dr Bartle's wonderful idea to create such a monstrosity is like going over to his house and urinating on his sofa."

Cf

Vulnax
explorer

Posted: 01-12-2009 21:56   
Quote:

On 01-12-2009 19:26, Crazyfool wrote:
We did remember?

Foddy said it was:

"a complete disgrace. To misuse Dr Bartle's wonderful idea to create such a monstrosity is like going over to his house and urinating on his sofa."

Cf

I think you missed the comma and question mark there CF in the "we did, remember?" comment above!

Go on, make a quest, fill in the blanks, I'll lend you my crayons.
Seems Like Turrican wants to help too! One scary quest that would be.

V

View Profile of Vulnax   Goto the website of Vulnax        Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Crazyfool
Wizard

Posted: 01-12-2009 22:04   
I dont need help from Turrican except to make it, advertise it and write it.

No..ill write it.

Cf

Fiz
cabalist

Posted: 03-12-2009 14:05   
Thank you for the awesome writeup, Royston. I look forward to ACTUALLY playing this quest the 2nd time it is run, since Hal has gotten the mapping out of his system. *grumble*

View Profile of Fiz        Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
blib
explorer

Posted: 03-12-2009 22:00   
Quote:

On 03-12-2009 14:05, Fiz wrote:
Thank you for the awesome writeup, Royston. I look forward to ACTUALLY playing this quest the 2nd time it is run, since Hal has gotten the mapping out of his system. *grumble*

I suggest that you pack your bags and leave him before it's too late.

royston
ranger

Posted: 04-12-2009 08:45   
Quote:

On 03-12-2009 14:05, Fiz wrote:
Hal has gotten the mapping out of his system. *grumble*

Surely he has not done all the mapping? I got stuck at the Prison Guard Room right at the end and I am guessing that no one else got through ahead of me as it was still being guarded by SK10. I am also guessing that there are still acres of stuff beyond this room.

Turrican
Arch-Wizard

Posted: 05-12-2009 08:24   
Quote:

On 04-12-2009 08:45, royston wrote:
Surely he has not done all the mapping?

He's done enough for Fiz to follow his maps, shes a map user!

Hawumph
Arch-Wizard

Posted: 05-12-2009 09:14   
[/quote]
He's done enough for Fiz to follow his maps, shes a map user!
[/quote]

If she's anything like my ex, she may be a map user, but she'll have to hold it upside down if she changes from going north to south!

How 'bout them transparent dangling carrots? It's not fair to deny me, the cross-eyed bear that you gave to me. You otter know!!!

View Profile of Hawumph   Email Hawumph   Goto the website of Hawumph      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Sabretooth
Wizard

Posted: 07-12-2009 18:57   
Hehe I like all the positive feed back, I will be happy to run this quest again anytime for you lovely morts that enjoy questing. And as for CF making a quest, if he manages somehow to make something playable I will eat my wiz hat.

View Profile of Sabretooth      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Hawumph
Arch-Wizard

Posted: 10-12-2009 16:22   
Quote:

And as for CF making a quest, if he manages somehow to make something playable I will eat my wiz hat.

I distinctly hear the THUD of a gauntlet being thrown down!!!!

How 'bout them transparent dangling carrots? It's not fair to deny me, the cross-eyed bear that you gave to me. You otter know!!!

View Profile of Hawumph   Email Hawumph   Goto the website of Hawumph      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Crazyfool
Wizard

Posted: 10-12-2009 17:32   
No, that was your mullet.

[ This Message was edited by: Crazyfool on 10-12-2009 17:32 ]

Turrican
Arch-Wizard

Posted: 10-12-2009 18:09   
Quote:

On 10-12-2009 16:22, Hawumph wrote:
I distinctly hear the THUD of a gauntlet being thrown down!!!!

Wizzes showing us up? this won't do, we'll have to write something too.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
[New Topic]   [Reply]
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic

These forums may be read by anyone, but only registered mudII.co.uk
players may post. When posting, please refrain from behaviour
not tolerated in the game.

These forums are moderated.