[New Topic]   [Reply]
[Edit Profile]  [Edit Your Preferences]  [Search]
[Private Messages]  [Memberslist]  [FAQ]  [Login]
MUDII Forum Index » » Game Suggestions » » Silly Death during a Fight
Author Silly Death during a Fight
drunkcat
pilgrim

Posted: 07-07-2010 19:13   
Is it really fair that I get penalized both for dying by a silly death (ate something bad) AND for fleeing? I mean, I didn't want to flee, in fact I was one hit away from winning.

View Profile of drunkcat      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Armand
explorer

Posted: 08-07-2010 13:06   
This is deliberate. The game has to have some way to penalise you for making two mistakes instead of one (dying to poison, and fleeing a fight). Even though you would have liked to have finished the fight, the fact that you didn't was due to a tactical error.

It is also necessary to prevent abuse of cheap exits from fights. For example, if you are attacked by the dragon, you have the highest chance of survival if you flee on maximum health. But with the way fleeing works, you would take 4x the normal point loss for fleeing at max health. If the game didn't double-penalise you, you'd be able to deliberately induce a silly death to get the best of both worlds - a cheap flee at full health.

To give another example which is potentially a worse abuse - you could deliberately silly death in order to escape a fight against a player, thus cheating the opponent out of flee points which they deserve for winning.

This situation is reasonably common by the way - there will be times when you will be at sea, get attacked by a shark, and then it rains. This can be viewed as the game's way of punishing you for not keeping better track of the weather

View Profile of Armand      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
blib
explorer

Posted: 08-07-2010 16:07   
Furthermore, fleeing is for wimps.

View Profile of blib   Email blib      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Zalagar
cleric

Posted: 08-07-2010 17:13   
Disregard Blib. Blib just says really ridiculous things just to mess with us.

Fleeing is necessary some times. By all means, try to stay in the fight as long as you can, but if it's clear you'll be killed if you stay too much longer, don't be afraid to flee.

Discretion is the better part of valor.

View Profile of Zalagar      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
drunkcat
pilgrim

Posted: 08-07-2010 22:59   
Quote:

On 08-07-2010 13:06, Armand wrote:
This is deliberate. The game has to have some way to penalise you for making two mistakes instead of one (dying to poison, and fleeing a fight). Even though you would have liked to have finished the fight, the fact that you didn't was due to a tactical error.

It is also necessary to prevent abuse of cheap exits from fights. For example, if you are attacked by the dragon, you have the highest chance of survival if you flee on maximum health. But with the way fleeing works, you would take 4x the normal point loss for fleeing at max health. If the game didn't double-penalise you, you'd be able to deliberately induce a silly death to get the best of both worlds - a cheap flee at full health.

To give another example which is potentially a worse abuse - you could deliberately silly death in order to escape a fight against a player, thus cheating the opponent out of flee points which they deserve for winning.

This situation is reasonably common by the way - there will be times when you will be at sea, get attacked by a shark, and then it rains. This can be viewed as the game's way of punishing you for not keeping better track of the weather

Huh, those are pretty intense loopholes (I mean inducing a silly death? Pretty risky). I dunno, I guess now I would just wish "is <plant> poison" wouldn't say Yes regardless of what plant it is.

I guess it just bugged me a bit because I could've just easily 'foqq'd it and not deal with the double penalty.
A

Turrican
Arch-Wizard

Posted: 08-07-2010 23:31   
Quote:

On 08-07-2010 22:59, drunkcat wrote:
Huh, those are pretty intense loopholes (I mean inducing a silly death? Pretty risky). I dunno, I guess now I would just wish "is <plant> poison" wouldn't say Yes regardless of what plant it is.

Try TASTE <OBJ>. IS only tells you if an object or class is a kind of another class.

View Profile of Turrican      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
drunkcat
pilgrim

Posted: 09-07-2010 02:09   
Ah, cool.

Man I wish there was like a comprehensive list of all those commands, the help lists and stuff only seem to go through the very basic (and intuitive) ones.

Taste killed me too. Poopy.

[ This Message was edited by: DrunkCat on 09-07-2010 02:38 ]

Vulnax
explorer

Posted: 10-07-2010 20:21   
Have you tried the in game command COMMANDS ( I think it is - not used t for a long time! ) which shows loads of commands and uses. Same for spells, levels etc.

View Profile of Vulnax   Goto the website of Vulnax        Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Turrican
Arch-Wizard

Posted: 10-07-2010 20:53   
Quote:

On 09-07-2010 02:09, drunkcat wrote:
Taste killed me too. Poopy.

Oops, that can happen sometimes. Try SMELL <obj>.

View Profile of Turrican      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Samson
friar

Posted: 13-07-2010 01:11   
Although that can have undesirable effects with certain flowers!

View Profile of Samson      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
[New Topic]   [Reply]
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic

These forums may be read by anyone, but only registered mudII.co.uk
players may post. When posting, please refrain from behaviour
not tolerated in the game.

These forums are moderated.