[New Topic]   [Reply]
[Edit Profile]  [Edit Your Preferences]  [Search]
[Private Messages]  [Memberslist]  [FAQ]  [Login]
MUDII Forum Index » » Game Suggestions » » User friendly login system
Author User friendly login system
Armand
explorer

Posted: 14-10-2010 17:48   
Now that we've got a paid advertising campaign up and running, and a solid voting campaign, I would like to raise a suggestion which has been talked about many times in the past.

Basically, as we all know, the current login system for the game is cumbersome and can be difficult to deal with for a new player with a short attention span.

I would like to propose that we replace the current system of signing up online and then being emailed a username (consisting of difficult to remember letters and numbers), with an in-game account creation system which would work as follows:

1. Connect to the game. Prompted to enter either a username, or specify that you are a new player.

2. If the latter choice is selected, you are prompted to choose a username and a password.

3. You are immediately connected to the game under that username/password, and no further steps are required.

The motivation behind this suggestion is to make it as easy as possible for new players to start playing from the moment they hit our website from the advert or topmudsite listings. Many players (who may only be casually interested at this point, having just seen an advert) won't bother looking if they feel that they have to go through a lot of effort to do so.

Thoughts?

View Profile of Armand      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Miek
pioneer

Posted: 14-10-2010 17:51   
This is a BRILLIANT idea, hope it happens..
I can't see anyone not being for this.

View Profile of Miek      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
royston
ranger

Posted: 16-11-2010 08:12   
I got enough trouble remembering an easily-remembered username. A random set of figures, characters and possibly punctuation marks as well, would put me right off. Both Clio and MUDii clients provide an automatic login from a particular computer. All you have to do is click an icon on the desktop.

Could something similar not be made available on the basic mudii.co.uk login?

View Profile of royston   Email royston      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Vulnax
explorer

Posted: 16-11-2010 21:34   
That would probably help get the casual visitors / those from the ads to actually log on and try the game.

I know I get put off when I have to register and provide all sorts of details to some sites, and unless I really desperately needto acess the site tehn I will usually leave it alone.

I assume the system proposed above would provide the main USERNAME for the account of 3 personae.
I'd suggest the e-mail verification to the e-mail address remains and would need to be completed within say 3 games; this to avoid the situation we had on Wireplay when it went free where personae were created anonymously just to cause trouble or spam attack a player in an argument.

just my 2p'th

V

View Profile of Vulnax   Goto the website of Vulnax        Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Miek
pioneer

Posted: 16-11-2010 23:12   
*welcomes Vulnax's 2p'th*

View Profile of Miek      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
[New Topic]   [Reply]
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic

These forums may be read by anyone, but only registered mudII.co.uk
players may post. When posting, please refrain from behaviour
not tolerated in the game.

These forums are moderated.