[New Topic]   [Reply]
[Edit Profile]  [Edit Your Preferences]  [Search]
[Private Messages]  [Memberslist]  [FAQ]  [Login]
MUDII Forum Index » » General Chat » » And another thing....
Author And another thing....
royston
ranger

Posted: 03-11-2010 13:31   
At interesting comment came up during last Thursday?s Bash (possibly from one of our Newbies) which needs to be addressed: A player shouted out a query asking if ?pvp ? was allowed (i.e. player v. player combat). Well of course it is unless a Wiz specifically bans it for the duration of the set. The only time I have known this happen was at the Easter Bunny Hunt when it was outlawed by Foddy. But from the point of view of a successful Bash it is undesirable (as pointed out by Sabretooth) but for three especial reasons:
1. Time is of the essence in a Bash and the time two players spend bashing each other would be better spent bashing mobiles.
2. By its very nature one of the players could be killed and there would be one player less in the Bash.
3. As soon as it becomes known that there is a PK (player-killer) about everyone retires promptly to the sanctuary of the Tearoom and the team Captain (or Bash General as he is known) has the devil?s own job getting them out again.
Having said that, killing fellow players is an essential part of the game. You can get to Swordsman by just swamping treasure. After that to progress with any sort of speed you do need to start killing a few mobiles. Once you get to about Necromancer and above the point?s differentials between levels are so large it seems to me the only way to progress is to start attacking other players who have reached a similar level. You should also be aware that you are a target yourself. A player coming into the game, even when there is a Bash in progress, with the sole purpose of killing other players cannot be criticised. He can only be dealt with by a mob attack.

View Profile of royston   Email royston      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Sabretooth
Wizard

Posted: 04-11-2010 07:56   
That is a very good point you raised Royston. During special events and the Thursday night bashes any player who wishes to conduct pvp during these events will seriously hinder the progress of the players hard work. When a player approaches me to discuss the possibility of conducting such an action I always try to let them know its seriously not cool to do pvp during these times.

View Profile of Sabretooth      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Crazyfool
Wizard

Posted: 04-11-2010 10:30   
I really do not see the problem. Rather than hiding in the tearoom at first sign of trouble, why not fight back?

A bash is just another set and that should include player killing if thats what a player wants to do.

Player killers are players too.

Cf

View Profile of Crazyfool      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Miek
pioneer

Posted: 04-11-2010 14:03   
and if we banned PK from bashes, mages would only play the bash to avoid PKing - easy, risk free points.

View Profile of Miek      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Heiach
Wizard

Posted: 05-11-2010 09:36   
I some how doubt mages would be allowed to play in such an anti-pk enviroment .

View Profile of Heiach   Email Heiach   Goto the website of Heiach          Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Heiach
Wizard

Posted: 09-11-2010 12:12   
Quote:

On 04-11-2010 14:03, Miek wrote:
and if we banned PK from bashes, mages would only play the bash to avoid PKing - easy, risk free points.

Mages? As in plural? I haven't seen 1 recently, let alone 2!

View Profile of Heiach   Email Heiach   Goto the website of Heiach          Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Turrican
Arch-Wizard

Posted: 12-11-2010 00:12   
Quote:

On 03-11-2010 13:31, royston wrote:
Once you get to about Necromancer and above the point?s differentials between levels are so large it seems to me the only way to progress is to start attacking other players who have reached a similar level.

That's not strictly true or just true.

View Profile of Turrican      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
royston
ranger

Posted: 12-11-2010 10:30   
Quote:

On 12-11-2010 00:12, Turrican wrote:
Quote:

On 03-11-2010 13:31, royston wrote:
Once you get to about Necromancer and above the point?s differentials between levels are so large it seems to me the only way to progress is to start attacking other players who have reached a similar level.

That's not strictly true or just true.

I am listening to you but it is my perception that not many players have wizzed without killing at least one other player at some time in their upward struggle.

View Profile of royston   Email royston      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Armand
explorer

Posted: 12-11-2010 12:12   
It is true that you need some ability to fight other players, but I would say this is more a matter of self-defense than gaining points. Players who eventually make wiz tend to be scoring around 15 - 20k per set, whereas obtaining a "normal" flee from a 105k mage only gets you about 2300 points. Killing one would get you about 20k, but such events are rare enough that it isn't very practical to rely on the points to make wiz.

View Profile of Armand      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Heiach
Wizard

Posted: 12-11-2010 13:32   
I never killed a single player with the persona I wizzed with...

[ This Message was edited by: Heiach on 12-11-2010 14:02 ]

royston
ranger

Posted: 12-11-2010 15:02   
OK point taken.

[New Topic]   [Reply]
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic

These forums may be read by anyone, but only registered mudII.co.uk
players may post. When posting, please refrain from behaviour
not tolerated in the game.

These forums are moderated.