[New Topic]   [Reply]
[Edit Profile]  [Edit Your Preferences]  [Search]
[Private Messages]  [Memberslist]  [FAQ]  [Login]
MUDII Forum Index » » General Chat » » Linux is a bitch.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Author Linux is a bitch.
Azrael
Wizard

Posted: 14-10-2001 00:23   
Look at the terms and conditions you agree to when you sign up for a hotmail account. It says somewhere, not in these exact words but to the same effect:

"Microsoft reserves the right to monitor the content of mails sent from and to your account, and to do with information contained as it sees fit; this includes, but is not limited to, stealing any business ideas you may have, blah blah."

View Profile of Azrael      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Popculturemonkey
friar

Posted: 14-10-2001 07:10   
I hate Microsoft, I hate what they stand for, I hate the ethos behind the company and I hate that Bill Gates has gotten rich off of selling a poor quality product to plebs.

But the fact is, the generally piss-poor Windows is quite simply the best money can buy for the average home user. And I'm not just talking AOL-using retards here... I mean your average 'smart' user.

Linux? Tried it, didn't like it.

I can strip a PC and rebuild it from scratch is need be, but I still felt that I had not 5% of the knowledge that I'd need to get the most out of Linux.

I must confess to being generally impressed with XP, I'm even rather taken by the colour scheme... But as one of the world's top Non-Paying customers, I'm gonna have to hang on until I can get hold of a business copy.

I'll give it a hammering then, and no doubt I'll walk out as unimpressed as I eventually was with ME.

Microsoft aren't the enemy of computing, they are however the enemy of fair business practices.

I'd like to say fod them, but they aren't going anywhere.

If you're smart enough, you can build a car that runs cheaply and efficiently on gas.

But it's just a little too much hassle for Joe Schmoe to use a gas-powered car.

If you're smart enough, you can get your PC running well through Linux.

But...

Complain all you like. They have the monopoly and have reached a point of invincibility. We could have killed 'em in the Eighties when they were small, now they're just too foding big.

Rat Bastards that they are.

View Profile of Popculturemonkey   Email Popculturemonkey   Goto the website of Popculturemonkey   ICQ status             Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Theman
cleric

Posted: 14-10-2001 10:15   
What I can't get over is the sheer cost of the thing....that's JUST AN OS without any applications and the thing is most people will not need to upgrade, but magazines and MS will take every oppertunity to force upgrading down our throats. In reality XP (once the garish colour scheme is removed, and thankfully it can be removed) is just a souped up Win2k/Me. My advice: Keep with your Win 9x, trust me Windows Movie Maker ain't worth it...

View Profile of Theman   Email Theman      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Popculturemonkey
friar

Posted: 14-10-2001 18:18   
God, Windows Movie Maker is a Godawful piece of shit.

View Profile of Popculturemonkey   Email Popculturemonkey   Goto the website of Popculturemonkey   ICQ status             Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Popculturemonkey
friar

Posted: 15-10-2001 04:42   
Hey, take a look at this - From the Microsoft website, one of the features of Windows XP:

'Remote Assistance lets you allow a friend or support professional who is also running Windows XP to remotely control your computer to demonstrate a process or help solve a problem. '

Hmmmm...

And there's no way any half-competent hacker could use it to walk through your PC?

Idiots.

Theman
cleric

Posted: 15-10-2001 16:55   
Windows Update for XP already has a security update for that feature...suprise, suprise...

View Profile of Theman   Email Theman      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Eric
cleric

Posted: 15-10-2001 23:15   
Zonealarm Pro will stop most things getting into your pc, if you're worried about hacking. It's quite good!

View Profile of Eric   Goto the website of Eric   ICQ status           Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Popculturemonkey
friar

Posted: 16-10-2001 00:18   
I'm not worried about hacking, I'm worried about XP.

Like Microsoft haven't put in their own back doors...

The new generation of Trojans will be tiny... Hackers don't need to send a trojan to the system, they just need to turn on Microsoft's own 'trojan'... You could do that with TINY files.

If it were distributed on a massive scale like the Sircam virus was, then it would open up millions of computers across the world to remote access.

Another great idea from the people who brought you the blue screen.

Theman
cleric

Posted: 16-10-2001 09:50   
But what's the likely hood of them getting away with for long? And when they do get caught the whole thing will blow up in their face...

Marmite
cabalist

Posted: 16-10-2001 11:40   
If it blows up in their face, they'll bring out XP2.

View Profile of Marmite      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Kurupt
friar

Posted: 16-10-2001 16:20   
Hahaha, yeah.

Sounds foding dodgy though.

I'm getting a new system soon, hopefully, I plan to get a shit-hot one, but the problem is whether to commit to Linux, fully.

Ah well.
We shall see.

View Profile of Kurupt      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Theman
cleric

Posted: 16-10-2001 16:50   
I'm tempted to buy a new ibook...depends on MacOS X/Unix connectivity though

Theman
cleric

Posted: 17-10-2001 19:56   
Small Microsoft problem...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/22247.html

Read the aplogy it's pretty funny....

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
[New Topic]   [Reply]
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic

These forums may be read by anyone, but only registered mudII.co.uk
players may post. When posting, please refrain from behaviour
not tolerated in the game.

These forums are moderated.