[New Topic]   [Reply]
[Edit Profile]  [Edit Your Preferences]  [Search]
[Private Messages]  [Memberslist]  [FAQ]  [Login]
MUDII Forum Index » » General Chat » » We got a new player!!
Author We got a new player!!
royston
ranger

Posted: 03-07-2011 20:31   

You tell your listeners "gloater is brand new newbie I got him swamping T".
*Genesis the necromancer tells you "ah cool,"
*n
You step through the opening into a blurred patchwork of greens and browns, which whirl around you in seemingly aimless patterns until they suddenly slide into shape...
Pine forest.
A raft, large enough to carry one person, has been left here.
*zz
ZZZzzz...
*In the distance, you hear an explosive WHOOSH!
You have just been woken up!
Your stamina is 33.
*qw
Genesis the necromancer
Royston the sorcerer=
*For your information: there are 150 mobiles still alive.
*Genesis the necromancer tells you "didnt tell him about methane and brands then ".

[ This Message was edited by: royston on 03-07-2011 20:32 ]

View Profile of royston   Email royston      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
awesomefist
novice

Posted: 04-07-2011 05:17   
Best way to start off in a game?

View Profile of awesomefist      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
royston
ranger

Posted: 04-07-2011 10:03   
Oh - I think so. I always start off with swamping T,(about three times a week - no one has more experience than I have of playing at Novice level). Apart from the odd annoying zombie, it is best not to start killing mobiles until your Maximum Stamina is at least 84.

But for an absolute beginner I would suggest mapping the Land is important. This is best done with verbose descriptions of rooms, using the 'auto exit' command and also using one of the clients that log the game. That way you can just wander about and then start drawing the map afterwards without being under any pressure. There are a great many articles published about mapping on a number of web sites and also in Muddled Times.

View Profile of royston   Email royston      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
danbojones
novice

Posted: 04-07-2011 10:28   
Thanks for the intro, Royston - and the directions! I actually interviewed Richard Bartle for Gamesindustry.biz in Barcelona last week, so I thought I should finally get around to playing. Not disappointed so far!

View Profile of danbojones      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
royston
ranger

Posted: 04-07-2011 10:37   
My pleasure. But note no one is allowed to tell you exactly how to do things. It is an absolute no-no. For one thing the joy of this game is finding out things for yourself. But two bits of advice I can hand out are: If you think something may have something written on it say a newspaper, a cardboard box or even a wall, try reading the object. Secondly if you come across some object, even if has a value swamping, ask yourself "How could I use this in real life?" before committing it to the murky depths.

danbojones
novice

Posted: 04-07-2011 12:37   
Man, black death, falling off mountains and nibbled to death by cellar rats. I've not really seen many people about though (apart from an invisible scoundrel who stole from me!) What's the best time to play?

royston
ranger

Posted: 04-07-2011 14:33   
That's difficult to say....Rarely it seems are there more than four players on at any one time these days. It wasn't always thus.

Sticking my neck out, I would suggest a Thursday Night at 9:00pm. That's Bash Night. This is an organised event where the objective is to kill all the mobiles during the course of a single set. When successful each player is awarded 3K bonus points which worth having when you are towards the bottom of the ladder.

[ This Message was edited by: royston on 04-07-2011 14:34 ]

kwee
cabalist

Posted: 05-07-2011 10:32   
Tend to find a number of us playing, er I mean working during the daytime (me, Gaia (and all his various aliases), Pinguis (mate of mine irl), Xiuhcoatl, MrSorc to name just a few)

Will look out for you

View Profile of kwee      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
danbojones
novice

Posted: 06-07-2011 22:58   
Well, a couple of less than noble deaths and a brief spat over a name and I think I'm learning a little about The Land. Still swamping treasure, but I'll persevere. I do appreciate all of the patient advice!

[New Topic]   [Reply]
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic

These forums may be read by anyone, but only registered mudII.co.uk
players may post. When posting, please refrain from behaviour
not tolerated in the game.

These forums are moderated.