[New Topic]   [Reply]
[Edit Profile]  [Edit Your Preferences]  [Search]
[Private Messages]  [Memberslist]  [FAQ]  [Login]
MUDII Forum Index » » General Chat » » Bash Report 21/10/.2011- UPDATE
Author Bash Report 21/10/.2011- UPDATE
royston
ranger

Posted: 21-10-2011 09:24   
I won't be able to do a full report before tomorrow (Saturday). Suffice to say at this stage, that our run of ten consecutive wins since 4th August has been broken. If this is not a record, it ought to be.

[ This Message was edited by: royston on 22-10-2011 11:20 ]

View Profile of royston   Email royston      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
royston
ranger

Posted: 22-10-2011 11:19   
BASH REPORT FOR THURSDAY 20TH OCTOBER 2011

This report will be in two parts: The bash proper (just the first paragraph) followed some remarks about the game and bashes in general which will be intentionally provocative, in the hope that it will provoke a few comments. They are my own personal views and no one else?s.

The bash itself did not go too well. Our run of ten consecutive successes came to an end. I played my usual game and succeeded in killing about 30 mobiles, I think. Not many out of 150 plus at the beginning of the set. This was my first real experience at Warlock level and I must say I thoroughly enjoyed myself going about the place invisible. I also managed to set the Attic up as an impregnable place to hide when sleeping. I think this gave me a false sense of security and I ended up losing my Warlock to two apes by typing in a succession of typos trying to flee. But this was only my second Warlock (or possibly my third) and as Gaia remarked afterwards I have a good few to lose yet. Let?s see if I can get back to Sorcerer by next Thursday.

The event was marred by the action of a player-killer (PK). There are rules and guides in the game. There are, as I can make out only two rules which are enforced by the Wizzes. They concern Looby-looing and Multilining. (If these or any other expressions I use are not familiar to you I refer you to MUDSpeke Dictionary). I am sure the GWG also has something to say about bullying. This is far more subjective and difficult to deal with as one person?s bullying is another?s robust play. The guides are not rules but simply players ideas built up over time about good conduct and good sportsmanship. The foremost example is what is known as the two-level guide. It is generally felt unsportsmanlike to attack a player more than two levels below your own. Breaches of guides cannot be dealt with by Wizzez; they are not rules but tend to be policed (if that?s the right word) by the players themselves. Those who breach the guides are generally assumed to have placed themselves outside them and are often dealt with by a player at Mage level. Not quite a FOD, but as good as. As often as not though they are bundled.

One of the guides developed over the years is that you do not PK during a bash. I repeat this is no breaking of rules and some Wizzes would encourage it. But it is a distraction to those intent on the bash. There are two reasons against this. Firstly the obvious one, that if successful it has taken a valuable player out of the bash and the team is one player down. Secondly they are time consuming either by players retreating to the Tearoom and refusing to go back in or time taken to hunt him down the PK and deal with him. Time is what matters in a bash. There is an old mathematical puzzle that goes something like this: A person wants to make a car journey on a motorway from point a to point c via point b. b is exactly half way. He wants to average 60 mph for the whole distance (a to c) but owing to roadworks he has only managed to average 30 mph by the time he gets to b (half way). How fast must his average speed be in the second half to get his average speed back to 60 mph for the whole journey? A lot of people without any hesitation will answer 90 mph . But the secret is to consider the time taken. I will leave you to work it out. The point is the same principle applies to a bash. It is the rate of killing that is important. Any time wasted doing other things is lost and difficult to recover. The rate for success needs to be maintained at about 1 per minute. That is why a PK in the game, even if he does not actually succeed in killing anyone is a nuisance. Too much time is wasted taking him out in case he does.

This Thursday Templar the Necromancer came into the game and promptly set about Gaia at Sorcerer level. I think he also went after me, as at one stage I was woken up in the attic by the trap door closing as someone opened the cupboard door in the small bedroom. He must have fled from Gaia who told me what was going on and of his intention to take Templar out. I found them after a bit of searching, battling it out in the Swamp. I watched for a bit then simply to mark my disapproval, joined in. Storming The Necromancer appeared on scene and wasted no time at all in wading in. Templar fled, giving me 298 points. Between us we must have scored a bit under 1K. I am not sure how it works but I believe you gain only a percentage of the points lost by the fleer. So he lost a few points there even if he did escape being killed. Gaia managed to track him down after a while and finish the job.

Fighting and killing other players is a part of the game and until fairly recently a large part. We all know Zedar is a PK who likes nothing more than a good scrap. He doesn?t mind how experienced an opponent is and will happily take on a Warlock when he is at Hero level. Fighting other players is his game and he does it fairly. On the occasions he is himself killed, his attitude is one of boisterous good humour. I have never known him winge about losing and I love him like a brother. But did we get any boisterous good humour from Templar? Judge for your self:

)Mcculloch the protector tells you "why did you gank me".
(*)re Huh?
You tell your listeners "Huh?".
(*)Mcculloch the protector tells you "you attacked me".
(*)Mcculloch the protector tells you "yes you did at the swamop".
(*)re PKing during a mobile bash
You tell your listeners "PKing during a mobile bash".
(*)Mcculloch the protector tells you "big whoopy do's".
(*)Mcculloch the protector tells you "no wonder your a noob".
(*)Mcculloch the protector tells you "i was only havin a laugh".
(*)re so was I
You tell your listeners "so was I".
(*)You have suddenly and magically regained your visibleness!
*Mcculloch the protector tells you "what by teaming up on me?".
*invis
Your spell worked!
You have suddenly and magically become invisible!
(110/120).
(*)zz
ZZZzzz...
(*)You have just been woken up!
Your stamina is 114.
Mcculloch the protector tells you "wait till i get you on your own".

This is stuff, particularly the last line, has all the maturity as if come from a newly enrolled member of Miss Hincliffe?s Reception Class at St. Adolph?s Primary School, East Cheam. Well I for one will not be venturing in that area behind the dustbins where the teachers cannot see you, for my customary drag. I will be staying well in their view for a while. Hang on, he might in real life be a member of Miss Hincliffe?s class; but surely not. His mummy would not have let him stay up that late playing MUD, would she?

[ This Message was edited by: royston on 22-10-2011 11:33 ]

View Profile of royston   Email royston      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Seifer
Wizard

Posted: 22-10-2011 11:34   
HAHA Roy that bit at the end is soooo funny but true,
after all why throw a tantrum over a game personae?

View Profile of Seifer      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Miek
pioneer

Posted: 22-10-2011 13:19   
Great write up. Would like to add that not only does PK'ing during a bash waste players time and possibly remove a valuable player from the bash, it also uses many resources that could be used fighting mobs: wafers, and if in this case fighting at the swamp the kit you lose if you flee, and other such things.

My opinion is that PKing is understandable if the bashee's are using a borderline mage persona or above; nobody should get an easy ride to wizdom.

I try using sorcs/necros/low lvl warlocks for the sake of the bash; wouldn't want to attract the wrong sort of attention and ruin everyone's fun I love you too Royston

View Profile of Miek      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
royston
ranger

Posted: 22-10-2011 14:54   
Zedar, I take your point about Mages. At one time I think Wizzes actually banned PK'ing during a bash and fodded as soon as it happened. The experience of Mages only turning up in the land on bash nights may well be the reason why this was stopped.

Crazyfool
Wizard

Posted: 22-10-2011 15:50   
Just a normal Wireplay bash.

View Profile of Crazyfool      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Folly
pioneer

Posted: 22-10-2011 21:17   
I didn't realise Royston was at the swamp as well. Not till reading this. There must be some sort of invisibility spell.

View Profile of Folly      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Turrican
Arch-Wizard

Posted: 23-10-2011 09:25   
Teaming goes against the spirit of the game (success on your own merit), so do cooperative mobile bashes to some degree but that's over looked for the sake of popularity/fun for non wizrunners.

View Profile of Turrican      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Folly
pioneer

Posted: 23-10-2011 11:38   
There was no organised teaming as far as I'm aware. Mine was just an opportunistic attack on someone who was a threat to me if I simply carried on bashing. I didn't know Royston was there and I wasn't going to ask Gaia's permission.

View Profile of Folly      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
[New Topic]   [Reply]
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic

These forums may be read by anyone, but only registered mudII.co.uk
players may post. When posting, please refrain from behaviour
not tolerated in the game.

These forums are moderated.