[New Topic]   [Reply]
[Edit Profile]  [Edit Your Preferences]  [Search]
[Private Messages]  [Memberslist]  [FAQ]  [Login]
MUDII Forum Index » » General Chat » » MUD2 on Steam? Attention. *R.Bartle replies*
Author MUD2 on Steam? Attention. *R.Bartle replies*
Miek
pioneer

Posted: 10-12-2016 20:36   
Dear Richard

When you get the time do you think you could put a day or two into MUD 2?

I think many people forgot about MUD.
I think if it was on Steam, many would return.
Maybe this is delusional and they just found other games? But wouldn't hurt to try.

We could post on the forums at http://www.mudii.co.uk and have the community raise the $100 for an application.

Its a very special game. The players are the key. The amount of knowledge and skill they've gained on MUD; and the social community built over the years isn't easily tossed aside.

Yours Sincerely,
Brian.

P.S. A few of us are meeting in July, I'm taking a tent because the B&Bs in Worthing are a little expensive.

[ This Message was edited by: Miek on 11-12-2016 18:26 ]

View Profile of Miek      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
asd
novice

Posted: 10-12-2016 23:14   

[ This Message was edited by: asd on 11-12-2016 20:07 ]

View Profile of asd      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Miek
pioneer

Posted: 10-12-2016 23:41   
Quote:

BRIAN -

>I think many people forgot about MUD.
>I think if it was on Steam, many would return.
Perhaps, perhaps not.
The problem is, what would go on Steam? MUD is a server-based game with no client.

>Its a very special game. The players are the key.
That's true, the players make a MUD.

>P.S. A few of us are meeting in July, I'm taking a tent because the B&Bs in Worthing are a little expensive.
Well they would be expensive in July, yes!

Richard

Miek
pioneer

Posted: 10-12-2016 23:48   
To which I replied:

Thanks Richard!

What if someone who made a client for MUD gave you the rights?
'Clio MUD' is used by most these days, and the designer is a long term friend of MUD. It is the most used client.
I am certain he would be honoured, Richard.
Could we apply for you and 'hit you up' with the outcome? Steam would contact you if successful and ask a question or two.

Forgive the familiarity, we live in busy times don't we Richard?
Brian.

Miek
pioneer

Posted: 11-12-2016 02:50   

Richard,
To get a game added to Steam, one applies. The Steam community then votes if the game should be added.
This article shows an example of how one community succeeded.
They started a Facebook group and all pushed the news at the same time. http://subaeria.com/2015/06/26/getting-greenlit-in-less-than-a-week-on-steam-greenlight/
This in mind I think we would only get one shot so it would be an undertaking youd perhaps want to take charge of yourself but I would humbly be more than willing should the decision sometime suit you. Or to help wherever I can.
Thanks for your time, Richard!
I shared this with the loyal players at .co.uk any 'stirrings' in MUD is good as it tends to bring players back.

Bri

footpad
novice

Posted: 11-12-2016 13:10   
Getting a client on Steam would also support a bit of retro-styled PR push to help bring in new players and old.

Happy to help with this aspect. It's what I do.

View Profile of footpad      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Miek
pioneer

Posted: 11-12-2016 16:10   
Thanks for contributing to the thread, Thwomp. Imagine MUD on steam! The troll comment from 'asd' was annoying but he did have a point there are no other MUDs on there. Surely that's a bonus if it worked!? Haha

Miek
pioneer

Posted: 11-12-2016 17:24   
BRIAN -

>What if someone who made a client for MUD gave you the rights?
I don't see that I'd need the rights, would I? It's not as if there's any income involved, and if there is then the author of the client should be getting it anyway.

>Could we apply for you and 'hit you up' with the outcome? Steam would contact you if successful and ask a question or two.
Well you should probably see what the people who run the server, FODDY and KARYA, say about it first.

>This article shows an example of how one community succeeded.
>They started a Facebook group and all pushed the news at the same time. http://subaeria.com/2015/06/26/getting-greenlit-in-less-than-a-week-on-steam-greenlight/
Hmm, so it looks as if it's less than a week once they push the go button, but setting it up takes a lot longer. That does make sense, especially if you only get one shot.

>This in mind I think we would only get one shot so it would be an undertaking youd perhaps want to take charge of yourself but I would humbly be more than willing should the decision sometime suit you.
Well I'm happy for you to do it, as I don't have a clue what it involves.
I would, however, suggest that it's the client that is applied for, not MUD2 itself. That way, if we don't get it greenlit, we're still open to creating another client that could be greenlit instead - MUD2 itself wouldn't be on the list of failed applications. It also makes more sense this way as the client is what would be downloaded and installed, not MUD2.

Richard

Miek
pioneer

Posted: 11-12-2016 18:24   
Richard,

I forwarded all this to an Arch Wizard as you suggested. Hawumph, he is rather nifty lately.

I will keep prodding. We could make something of it I am sure?
My friend 'Thwomp' indicated on the forum that MUD would have an advantage over other MUDs. Due to its 'retro' status, longevity and previous launches, I agree!

I will be a bit selfish here, Richard and take honour in giving personal thanks to you and Roy for creating MUD. It took a long time to get good, and I am still 'not quite there'.
If you get time, please check out my Desktop background in the .JPG I have attached I am curious if you would recognise the Scriptorium and Maze maps. Hawumph said they look similar to others he had seen.

Going back to 'Greenlight'. If the Arch's pulled it off, it would be quite magic wouldn't it?
Foddy and Karya would likely control the link for the Steam download. Which means they can customise the client later or even add one of their own (gorgeous wireplay client, anyone?)

You have my best wishes, Richard!
from Brian

[ This Message was edited by: miek on 11-12-2016 21:26 ]

Miek
pioneer

Posted: 11-12-2016 22:10   
(email: Brian to Archs and creator of Clio)

Dear Ian Peattie, creator of Clio MUD; Foddy, Karya and Hawumph.

Is it OK if I call you Ian?
Richard Bartle recently replied to a question I asked him about getting MUD on Steam.

Are you as surprised as I am that Richard replied?
http://mudii.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=1506&forum=1

I am thankful that this puzzle reaches you all in good spirits; Foddy, Karya, Hawumph and Ian.
Hawumph, I have messaged you this on Facebook, too. Foddy and Karya, I really hope you are keeping well?

I think the thread covers it!
It really means a lot should you have read this.

Yours sincerely,
Brian.

[ This Message was edited by: Miek on 11-12-2016 22:11 ]

Miek
pioneer

Posted: 11-12-2016 23:02   
more community input

Miek
pioneer

Posted: 12-12-2016 00:22   
:::Hi Brian,

I’ll have a read and a think about it all.

Foddy

Miek
pioneer

Posted: 12-12-2016 18:51   
BRIAN -

>My friend 'Thwomp' indicated on the forum
THWOMP is still playing? Say hi to him, please, I remember him from years ago!

>that MUD would have an advantage over other MUDs. Due to its 'retro' status, longevity and previous launches, I agree!
It would, but it doesn't have the player numbers. One or two out there have several thousand people players.

>I will be a bit selfish here, Richard and take honour in giving personal thanks to you and Roy for creating MUD.
You're welcome!

>I am curious if you would recognise the Scriptorium and Maze maps.
I didn't create those areas myself, so the maps aren't in my DNA. However, I would have been able to tell you what they were of (although you could optimise the layout of the hedge maze more, I think).

>Going back to 'Greenlight'. If the Arch's pulled it off, it would be quite magic wouldn't it?
It depends what happened afterwards. It may be a case of "be careful what you wish for"..!

Richard

[New Topic]   [Reply]
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic

These forums may be read by anyone, but only registered mudII.co.uk
players may post. When posting, please refrain from behaviour
not tolerated in the game.

These forums are moderated.