[New Topic]   [Reply]
[Edit Profile]  [Edit Your Preferences]  [Search]
[Private Messages]  [Memberslist]  [FAQ]  [Login]
MUDII Forum Index » » General Chat » » [MT] Poll Results
Author [MT] Poll Results
Theman
cleric

Posted: 01-06-2003 19:04   
Ok...it's time for me (at least to) extrapolate on Karya's article in response to the MT poll.

I read with particular interest your dream for MUD2, particularly as I had no idea there was a 'grand plan'. This is important because I for one would have loved (seriously, I think I'd of really enjoyed it) to get involved with the MT at a higher level then just writing articles.
Now as it stands I'm a semi-regular(ish) contributor to MT, but my eagerness to submit articles became less of an interest recently. I write pretty serious articles (in case you hadn't noticed ) but I've only ever recieved very minor and occasional feedback to the things I've written. I'm not expecting some ego-trip where everyone sits around saying how great my thoughts were but some argument, disagreement, agreement...in short I stopped writing because I thought people weren't reading.
So...feel free to burden me with tedious proof-reading or grammar correction if you so wish...

View Profile of Theman   Email Theman      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Karya
Witch

Posted: 01-06-2003 19:41   
Damn, you beat me to actually telling people that Muddled Times it out on the forums!

About the "grand plan" for Muddled Times. This is something I shared with the people I (wrongly) thought would be involved in that grand plan plus the mortal community who were around at the time. Obviously this would have passed by some people. I probably should have posted my ideas or least made them more tangible at the time and since. The problem at the time was that once the first issue came out (and in fact just prior to it coming out) there was a fair amount of bad press. Certain people were slating the site and saying it wouldn't last. I was new to this website lark and was a bit nervous of blowing my own trumpet then watching it all fall apart. So I kept relatively quiet.

The lack of feedback is partially my fault and partially because there has been a lack of feedback to give. I find that people are far more willing to complain and point out bad things then give positive feedback. The feedback form rarely gets used. I have been getting increasily more dispirited and disallusioned with things which is why you've been getting little feedback from me. It's also probably a contributing factor in the lack of articles.

Time for a change! If you (the readers) will buck your ideas up, then so will I! Deal?

And I have to say that on a personal level I really enjoy your articles Theman, and from the little feedback I do get so do the readers. Thank you for offering to be a sub-editor.

Now I really must stop these long, waffling posts!

View Profile of  Karya   Email  Karya      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Vulnax
explorer

Posted: 10-06-2003 20:10   
Doh!

I don't even get the time to keep my 'cute little web site' up to date or even play much these days, let alone write for MT.

I suppose I really should write up those items I "promised" Karya some time ago ... event reviews, etc.

Our days would be empty without MT !

V

View Profile of Vulnax   Goto the website of Vulnax        Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Karya
Witch

Posted: 10-06-2003 23:16   
I used to send out regular e-mails to people who contributed to Muddled Times regularly. This was mainly to remind people when deadlines were and to share ideas. The mailing list was totally anonymous.

I think I'll reform the mailing list and start sending out reminders again. People on the mailing list will be the sub-editors (Crowley and Theman) and regular columnists (Hawumph, Crazyfool and Wizrundave). If you'd like to contribute more often but need a gentle shove every so often let me know by either posting here or e-mailing me (karya@muddled-times.com) and I'll add you to the list.

View Profile of  Karya   Email  Karya      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Havoc
pioneer

Posted: 11-06-2003 12:34   
I've felt a bit like Theman about getting feedback. I'd like there to be some way to get some feedback. Maybe a link with my email address for people to ask for hints on the Lost Scrolls of Wisdom? That would work for my style of article. Stumped to think of anything more general than that.

A guess an email link / form entitled "author feedback / queries"?

I wouldn't grudge being on a mailing list urging/reminding about submissions. My biggest sticking point is always ideas. The idea is almost half the work, anyone done that half of it for me already?

Havoc

[ This Message was edited by: Malbery on 11-06-2003 12:34 ]

View Profile of Havoc      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Karya
Witch

Posted: 13-06-2003 21:01   
What I might do is add a link at the bottom of each article saying "contact the author" so readers can e-mail the author directly (but only if the author has given permission).

Crowley
pioneer

Posted: 14-06-2003 00:41   
Contact mails should probably go through the muddled times address, then you can nab long ones for a letters page

View Profile of Crowley   Email Crowley   ICQ status         Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Havoc
pioneer

Posted: 14-06-2003 09:53   
Perfect Halen! How about a letter's page? Where people comment on articles or anything else they feel is topical?

I volunteer to moderate it and prepare the content for each issue..

Havoc
pioneer

Posted: 14-06-2003 18:28   
Hang on. Isn't anything anyone has to say just going to end up on the forums anyway??

Karya
Witch

Posted: 15-06-2003 10:28   
There used to be a letters page but it fizzled out as I got less and less letters. I've got a long letter to put in the next issue though - which is actually some feedback and discussion about one of the articles in the current issue.

As for the forum being used to discuss articles - this does happen sometimes but someone brought up the subject one of the feedback forms. I repeated it here on the forums, read this thread:

http://www.mudii.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=174&forum=3&2

I think what's nice about the system Halen and Havoc devised is that authors and people giving feedback can remain anonymous if desired.

Karya
Witch

Posted: 19-06-2003 14:44   
How would people like feedback and discussions on articles in Muddled Times managed?

I've summarised and extrapolated three ideas discussed on this thread:

1. Don't change anything in Muddled Times and leave people willing to give feedback to do so on here on the forums. Perhaps if authors specifically want their article discussed on the forums a link to a forum thread can be added after their article.

2. Add a "contact the author" link that sends an e-mail directly to the author.

3. Add a "author feedback" link after each article where e-mails are sent to a coordinator (such as Havoc?) who will either put the feedback in the following issue's letters section or pass on to the author depending on content, relevance etc. Of course e-mail addresses and persona names will not be disclosed to anyone else without permission.

What do you think?

Havoc
pioneer

Posted: 19-06-2003 16:52   
I think (1) would benefit from being improved upon. I like (2) and (3). How about a mix?

At the end of each article there's a quick form that you can fill out to give feedback to the author. This then gets send directly to the author and CCed to someone like me (I'll do it), who can then collate some of the material for the next issue.

I'd be good if any followups to the feedback were also CCed.. hmm, it could get messy.

But a solution that would allow both the author to receive the feedback and an editor to collate an article would be the best.

Karya
Witch

Posted: 24-06-2003 12:51   
How about for each issue I send you (Havoc) a list of e-mails of the authors (provided they agree). After each article there will be a "contact the author" link and if anyone clicks on that their e-mail gets sent to both the author and to you. Then it'll be up to you to liase with the author and the feedback person.

Karya
Witch

Posted: 25-06-2003 15:24   
FAO THEMAN.

I tried e-mailing you today about some Muddled Times stuff but your e-mail bounced with the following message: Sorry, the recipient name is not recognised.

Please e-mail me with an alternative address?

Theman
cleric

Posted: 25-06-2003 22:18   
Hopefully this should be resolved now with the new e-mail I sent you...(posting here just in case you don't get new e-mail)

View Profile of Theman   Email Theman      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Havoc
pioneer

Posted: 26-06-2003 11:44   
Quote:

On 24-06-2003 12:51, Karya wrote:
How about for each issue I send you (Havoc) a list of e-mails of the authors (provided they agree). After each article there will be a "contact the author" link and if anyone clicks on that their e-mail gets sent to both the author and to you. Then it'll be up to you to liase with the author and the feedback person.

Yep. That'll work. I'd rather you didn't put my actual email address on a web page though. (pesky spam bots) Would it be possible to make it a form which then sends me an email?

Karya
Witch

Posted: 19-08-2003 22:15   
The author feedback system has now been set up in Muddled Times. After each article (where the author has consented) there is an "author feedback" link. When clicked on a form opens up where by you can give your comments on that article. This will be sent to both the author and Havoc. Havoc (with permission) will then reproduce anything interesting in the way of a letter for the following Muddled Times.

There's no reason why people can't give feedback but remain anonymous at the same time by using an alternative e-mail address to their regular one.

Vulnax
explorer

Posted: 20-08-2003 19:11   
Dunno if I gave my consent for this, but I am OK with it!

V

View Profile of Vulnax   Goto the website of Vulnax        Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Karya
Witch

Posted: 20-08-2003 21:32   
I e-mailed all the authors on the 22nd July letting them know about this system and asked anyone who didn't want to take part to let me know. If anyone missed that e-mail and doesn't want to take part contact me and I can remove the link.

Crowley
pioneer

Posted: 21-08-2003 11:39   
Where you been Karya? Naughty witch!

View Profile of Crowley   Email Crowley   ICQ status         Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
[New Topic]   [Reply]
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic

These forums may be read by anyone, but only registered mudII.co.uk
players may post. When posting, please refrain from behaviour
not tolerated in the game.

These forums are moderated.