[New Topic]   [Reply]
[Edit Profile]  [Edit Your Preferences]  [Search]
[Private Messages]  [Memberslist]  [FAQ]  [Login]
MUDII Forum Index » » Films, TV and Music » » Music: Laura/Zalagar's recommendations
Author Music: Laura/Zalagar's recommendations
Zalagar
pioneer

Posted: 27-06-2005 20:05   
I thought I'd post this on a new thread, as sort of as a spinoff to the 'Music to MUD by' thread.

When I play MUD, I don't usually listen to music that isn't from video games. I make selections from video games that fit the situation, for example, playing the Ocean theme from Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker when going out to sea, and playing either one of the 'fight at sea' themes when fighting the sharks.

But, I can recommend a few artists I don't think that many of you have heard of, though you really should.

First up is Heather Alexander), a very talented folk musician. Much of her material is completely original, and much of it is about fantastic subjects such as dragons, winter spirits (such as Jack Frost), and changeling babies. In addition, she sings about gypsies, pirates, war, love, and other popular folk subjects. Here are a few standouts I particularly recommend...

'Life's Flame', the title track of one of her live albums, is about the mythological phoenix, who dies and is reborn. I personally think it's a shame the one phoenix in MUD2 is kept in an area where few people are likely to actually see it.

'March of Cambreath', from the 'Midsummer' CD, is the middle part of a trilogy of war songs. It's a song about medieval warfare (axes, swords, that sort of thing) that one can easily imagine being in a Scottish movie just before a big battle scene. If a mobile bash is about to begin and you REALLY need something to get you in a bashing mood, play this song. (And yes, I've quoted it during a few bashes myself). The songs immediately preceeding and following, 'Tomorrow I Leave for Battle' and 'Courage Knows No Bounds' show a more human side of war's combatants. Also recommended is 'Wooden Toy Sword' from 'A Gypsy's Home', telling of the son left behind when his father goes off to war.

On a lighter note, there's such ditties as 'Hapn' Frog', 'Cat and the Fiddle', and 'Eggs and Crumbs' (which tells how one can get an impostor changeling baby to give itself away).

Heather's official page, with information on the above albums, including song samples and ordering info, is at http://www.heatherlands.com

Perhaps you like your folk music to have more of a rock beat? Try Uffington Horse, Heather's folk rock band. So far, they've only released one CD, 'Enchantment'.

One highlight is 'Animals All the Same', describing how much in common we humans have with animals.

Another is 'Rock and Gold', which is sung from the point of view of a dragon. This dragon, unlike MUD2's dragon, appears to be one of those who lives in a cave sitting on a mountain of treasure (much like Smaug of Tolkien's 'The Hobbit'). If dragons were into rock-type music, this is the sort of song such a dragon would sing to visitors to its lair.

Then there are two rather dark songs that kind of remind me of the HMS Essex. First, there's 'Water's in The Hold', apparently sung from the point of view of some evil water nymph to a ship's helmsman, encouraging him to steer the ship into the rocks so that everyone drowns. Or maybe it's all in the sailor's head, it's hard to tell which. Either way, it's a disturbing piece (and could it be how the HMS Essex met its fate?)

And then there's 'Yo Ho!', relating the experience of being enslaved aboard a pirate ship. It has a singable chorus, but its account of life aboard a slave ship run by pirates is not for the faint of heart.

For more info, see http://uffingtonhorse.heatherlands.com/

I'd like to make it clear that I'm not associated with either Heather Alexander or Uffington Horse. I'm just recommending music I think people here might like.

Laura/Zalagar

[ This Message was edited by: Zalagar on 03-11-2006 00:00 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Zalagar on 03-11-2006 00:01 ]

View Profile of Zalagar      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Karya
Arch-Witch

Posted: 28-06-2005 21:26   
Thanks for those recommendations Laura, I'm always willing to try out new music and those sound particularly interesting.

I don't have anything to offer myself. It's been a long, long time since I've played mortal properly and the music I did listen to wasn't so mud inspired like your choices.

I can still remember the 5 albums I had in my CD player (on random) from when I was wizrunning though: Morcheeba, Best of Talk Talk, Robert Miles and 2 Lenny Kravitz albums.

View Profile of Karya      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Zalagar
pioneer

Posted: 04-09-2005 19:24   
Okay, here's some more music that I highly recommend.

First up, there's the Brobdingnagian Bards, who can be found at http://www.thebards.net. A duo of bards who perform Irish/Celtic, Renaissance, and 'filk' songs (including many they originated), they hail from Austin, Texas, and have earned quite a following not only due to their live performances at fairs and sci-fi/fantasy conventions, but also due to the fact that they allow much of their music to be sampled online. Some favorites of mine include:

'Johnny at the Door aka I'll Drink from Dusk Till Dawn': Two popular themes in Irish songs are drinking, and death. This song, an original written by Marc Gunn, is about both. It also has a great singalong chorus.

'Do Virgins Taste Better' takes on the fantasy story cliche about virgins being sacrificed to dragons. There's also 'The Dragon's Retort', which gives the dragon's side of the story. The two are combined into a medley on the Bards' CD, 'A Faire to Remember'.

More fantasy-themed songs can be found on the Bards' 'Brobdingnagian Fairy Tales' CD, featuring 'Jedi Drinking Song' and 'Happily Ever After' (the latter a Bard original about a maiden who saves herself from a dragon rather than waiting for some brave knight to come by). There's also their Tolkien-themed CD, 'Memories of Middle Earth', filled with songs and instrumentals inspired by Lord of the Rings.

Another fine Celtic group I highly recommend is Empty Hats at http://www.emptyhats.com

This 'unplugged but wired' band has entertained enthusiastic Renaissance Festival audiences for a number of years. A few favorites of mine include:

'The Two Magicians': This song wouldn't be about two of MUD2's wizzes, would it? (g). A lady leads a lusty black smith on a merry chase, with a twist -- both are shapeshifters.

'If It's a Rose, then It will Bloom' -- A nice, gentle, philosophical song.

'Ballad of Erin' -- a song about the hardships Ireland has had to face. The last verse's message, I would say, goes for more than just the conflicts in Ireland, and is a worthwhile message

'Dunnenkirk and the Gypsy' -- a moving tale of a deformed child and his quest to pass on the teachings of the gypsy who raised him

'Take Her in Your Arms' -- an Andy Stewart favorite, I'm particularly fond of Empty Hats' version. A fun and rousing song

'Beggars to God' -- Another beautful and moving song, this one is a longtime favorite

But perhaps you prefer your Celtic music to have more of a folk-rock sound. If so, check out Barleyjuice at http://www.barleyjuice.com

This band not only performs spectacular folk rock arrangements of traditional songs like 'All For Me Grog' and 'Wild Rover', but also has a number of originals.

'Nancy Drinks Tequilla' is an original (mostly; a few hints of certain well-known tequilla songs are thrown in here and there) about a lady who's very particular about her choice of drink.

'Muckle John' is the pseudo-historical story of what MIGHT have happened to the historical Muckle John (the last official royal court fool of England) if the King had found him the complete opposite of amusing.

'What's up Yours?' is a song about kilts and those who wear them. Barleyjuice outdoes themselves with their arrangement here, which includes (of course) bagpipes. And the chorus is certainly one that encourages the audience to join right in.

Anyway, I highly recommend all three of the above.

Laura/Zalagar

[ This Message was edited by: Zalagar on 04-09-2005 19:26 ]

Gothik
cabalist

Posted: 05-09-2005 14:40   
Thanks Zalagar, will try to check some of those out.

If you like your folk a bit more ancient i can heartily recommend "Mirabilis" by a celtic kinda band called medieval babes...they are not as dodgy as the name suggests honest

The Mediaeval Babes repetoire is made up of: arrangements of medieval/traditional material and medieval poems set to music composed by the band. The appeal of medieval music is its simplicity and power. The emphasis is on creating accessible medieval pop songs rather than trying to recreate an authentic sound.

I like them anyhow.

^.^

View Profile of Gothik   Email Gothik      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Gothik
cabalist

Posted: 05-09-2005 23:15   

[ This Message was edited by: Gothik on 05-09-2005 23:19 ]

[ This Message was edited by: gothik on 06-09-2005 08:48 ]

View Profile of Gothik   Email Gothik      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Zalagar
pioneer

Posted: 03-11-2006 00:20   
Quote:

On 05-09-2005 14:40, Gothik wrote:
Thanks Zalagar, will try to check some of those out.

If you like your folk a bit more ancient i can heartily recommend "Mirabilis" by a celtic kinda band called medieval babes...they are not as dodgy as the name suggests honest

The Mediaeval Babes repetoire is made up of: arrangements of medieval/traditional material and medieval poems set to music composed by the band. The appeal of medieval music is its simplicity and power. The emphasis is on creating accessible medieval pop songs rather than trying to recreate an authentic sound.

I like them anyhow.

Of course, I'm familiar with them, too. They've toured in the States as well as the UK, so it's possible some people on this forum have actually seen them live, as opposed to the other artists I mentioned (some of whom may be wondering about mail orders from the UK if anyone actually decided to order their CDs because of this thread).

Laura/Zalagar

Melisma
pilgrim

Posted: 29-03-2007 23:34   
I have actually heard of and listened to the medieval babes. Not live though. They're not too bad.

Tho I don't play mud much anymore when I do play I'm usually listening to capital radio

View Profile of Melisma      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
trollsmash
cleric

Posted: 16-07-2013 00:59   
Superb music! Especially I fell in love with Heather Alexander... I was trying to follow those broken links and it turns she had a sex change, presumably ruining her beautiful voice in the process.

View Profile of trollsmash      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
[New Topic]   [Reply]
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic

These forums may be read by anyone, but only registered mudII.co.uk
players may post. When posting, please refrain from behaviour
not tolerated in the game.

These forums are moderated.