[New Topic]   [Reply]
[Edit Profile]  [Edit Your Preferences]  [Search]
[Private Messages]  [Memberslist]  [FAQ]  [Login]
MUDII Forum Index » » General Technical Questions » » Fetches
Author Fetches
Werewolf
protector

Posted: 15-11-2001 23:06   
Is there anyway to prevent these or are they just something that happen randomly and are impossible to stop?

View Profile of Werewolf      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Vulnax
explorer

Posted: 19-11-2001 23:40   
Don't run other s/ware when playing MUD2.

Don't overdoo the input speed as that also messes up MUD2 and gives a fetch error .. well earlier versions used to!!

J

View Profile of Vulnax   Goto the website of Vulnax        Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Eric
cleric

Posted: 20-11-2001 00:53   
Weren't fetches only a part of the old WP2 client?

View Profile of Eric   Goto the website of Eric   ICQ status           Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Foddy
Arch-Wizard

Posted: 22-11-2001 20:14   
Fetch errors were specific to the old Wireplay MUD2 client. These days any disconnection gets called a fetch error for historical reasons.

These days disconnections are usually due to network errors - unfortunately the Windows TCP/IP stack seems overly keen to drop connections.

The only way to prevent being dropped is by having a great connection to the internet. Not easy these days!

The only advice I can give you is be wary of AOL - to avoid paying VAT all connections go via America, so you may find connections through AOL drop more often than others.

It's not entirely helpful, I know - but it's there's no easy solution. The vast majority of players don't have any problems - if you're having them, try a different ISP and if that doesn't work, check your PC configuration.

Foddy

View Profile of Foddy      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Vulnax
explorer

Posted: 09-04-2002 12:28   
Quote:

On 22-11-2001 20:14, Foddy wrote:
Fetch errors were specific to the old Wireplay MUD2 client. These days any disconnection gets called a fetch error for historical reasons.

The only way to prevent being dropped is by having a great connection to the internet. Not easy these days!

It's not entirely helpful, I know - but it's there's no easy solution. The vast majority of players don't have any problems - if you're having them, try a different ISP and if that doesn't work, check your PC configuration.

Foddy

Try cable, ISDN or ADSL perhaps ... always on ( well nearly for ISDN ) and the disconnections from the game may cease?

View Profile of Vulnax   Goto the website of Vulnax        Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Winterdawn
novice

Posted: 05-05-2004 12:57   
I've noticed on the net that there exist resilient telnet servers that allow users to reconnect to existing telnet sessions that have been dropped without having to kill the existing session and start again.

This would be a really useful feature for mud to develop / buy, and could sort out the problem of "fetches" once and for all.

From my experience moving to ADSL doesn't solve the problem, it simply makes it quicker to reconnect.

View Profile of Winterdawn      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Winterdawn
novice

Posted: 05-05-2004 12:58   
I've noticed on the net that there exist resilient telnet servers that allow users to reconnect to existing telnet sessions that have been dropped without having to kill the existing session and start again.

This would be a really useful feature for mud to develop / buy, and could sort out the problem of "fetches" once and for all.

From my experience moving to ADSL doesn't solve the problem, it simply makes it quicker to reconnect.

View Profile of Winterdawn      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Vulnax
explorer

Posted: 25-05-2004 20:59   
Now that DOES seem a good idea, the lost telnet connection does seem to remain live for the time out period - 30 secs, 60 secs, etc.or whatever it is set at, so a keep alive service may help, as long as it did not take up bandwidth / server cycles uselessly when the connection is fine ...

Vulnax
coming back to a telnet client near you!

[New Topic]   [Reply]
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic

These forums may be read by anyone, but only registered mudII.co.uk
players may post. When posting, please refrain from behaviour
not tolerated in the game.

These forums are moderated.