[Edit Profile]  [Edit Your Preferences]  [Search]
[Private Messages]  [Memberslist]  [FAQ]  [Login]
MUDII Forum Index » » General Chat » » A cautionary tale
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Author A cautionary tale
royston
ranger

Posted: 06-02-2010 08:31   
This morning very early I set up an automatic command at Novice level to drink at the Spring in the Mine over and over again. Those of you who know how to do it will know what I mean. I had heard it was possible but managed to work out how it is done all on my own. I then left it running to make some tea irl. I must admit I was a bit uncomfortable as I felt it was not in the spirit of the game but I wanted to see just how far I coud go. I got to 2398 points before an essential item of kit went missing.

I pondered this for a while. My guess was it was a gentle hint from a Wiz but on reflection decided it could have been a dwarf after a bit of treasure. By now we were in the next set and I set it up again whilst I cooked breakfast. When I checked what was happening I found I had got to 2890 when somehow the Ram had attacked me at the Spring and I was dead.

The message I take from this, which I pass on to other mortals, is that the Wizzes do not like you abusing the game. My guess is they will tollerate this in-and-out behaviour up to Warrior level but no more. I am open to correction.

[ This Message was edited by: royston on 06-02-2010 09:17 ]

View Profile of royston   Email royston      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Magician
cleric

Posted: 06-02-2010 10:37   
When you drink at the spring and "nod off" in a random location, I would think sooner or later you are likely to drop in on the ram or thief, who will be more than happy to to take advantage of you sleeping.

Or, could be just a wiz who doesn't want you using triggers like you said

Auto drinking, I find useful up to 1600 points, then it seems the time to reward ratio doesn't make it an efficient way to gain points!

View Profile of Magician   Email Magician      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
royston
ranger

Posted: 06-02-2010 10:49   
[quote]
I would think sooner or later you are likely to drop in on the ram or thief, who will be more than happy to to take advantage of you sleeping.

[\quote]

The Ram appeared at the Spring. Not when I was sleeping at a random location

Quote:

Auto drinking, I find useful up to 1600 points, then it seems the time to reward ratio doesn't make it an efficient way to gain points!

It all depends if you are prepared to go afk and do something else. Fraught with d. of course.

[ This Message was edited by: royston on 06-02-2010 10:50 ]

[ This Message was edited by: royston on 06-02-2010 10:51 ]

View Profile of royston   Email royston      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
royston
ranger

Posted: 06-02-2010 11:08   
Taking this to a logical conclusion if for MOST of the time you made just 1 point for each drink, you could Wiz in 2,048,000 seconds allowing 10 seconds between drinks. More or less 24 days, 24 hours a day. I do not think you would be allowed to get away with it.

Turrican
Arch-Wizard

Posted: 06-02-2010 13:32   
Quote:

On 06-02-2010 10:37, Magician wrote:
Or, could be just a wiz who doesn't want you using triggers like you said

Too early in morning for most wizzes.

Quote:

On 06-02-2010 10:49, royston wrote:
The Ram appeared at the Spring. Not when I was sleeping at a random location

This time fox stole violin, ram attacked at at forested part of south mountain.

[ This Message was edited by: turrican on 06-02-2010 13:37 ]

View Profile of Turrican      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Crazyfool
Wizard

Posted: 06-02-2010 13:35   
Fox the Wizard you mean?

View Profile of Crazyfool      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Armand
explorer

Posted: 06-02-2010 13:56   
Drinking at the spring doesn't give points beyond a certain point. I forget exactly when, but its at a reasonably low level, probably around champion. I think I've done the spring to superhero, but it is very slow.

Because it can be done using only game commands and doesn't require triggers, and also because of the level cap, I don't think its really a big deal. You may find the odd wiz messing with you a bit (which seems fair for a player who leaves their persona afk running autos), but I'd be surprised to see someone actually get in trouble for it.

View Profile of Armand      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
royston
ranger

Posted: 06-02-2010 14:38   
Quote:

On 06-02-2010 13:32, Turrican wrote:

This time fox stole violin, ram attacked at at forested part of south mountain.

OK I have had another study of my log and see you are right. I get it now. But it is traditional to blame Wizzes when something happens you don't understand.

P.S. I am going to have another go at this to see how far I can get, next time I am Novice, but without going afk. You may think that will not too far in the future but I did manage to keep Necro for longer than 24 hours this time. I know Hawumph has his name for a reason but I cannot be far behind him.

[ This Message was edited by: royston on 06-02-2010 15:32 ]

Crazyfool
Wizard

Posted: 06-02-2010 16:11   
You know about the story behind Hawumph's name?

Well, I'll tell you what I told Karya. The marmalade was on my Y fronts BEFORE the farmer turned up..BEFORE!

View Profile of Crazyfool      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Turrican
Arch-Wizard

Posted: 06-02-2010 22:14   
Quote:

On 06-02-2010 14:38, royston wrote:
But it is traditional to blame Wizzes when something happens you don't understand.

I prefer the goat to the ram.

Quote:

On 06-02-2010 16:11, Crazyfool wrote:
You know about the story behind Hawumph's name?

No but I can guess, I know the story behind Foddy's name though.

Samson
friar

Posted: 07-02-2010 00:38   
Fodrules!

View Profile of Samson      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
royston
ranger

Posted: 07-02-2010 13:45   
Well that did not take long. Dragon got me again this morning and I was doing everything right for once.

It took me 9 minutes to get to swordsman but after that I was only getting 10 per drink and I calculated that it would take me 4 hours and 45 minutes to reach hero. When it dropped to 9, I called it a day.

The fox attacked me once and fled. As did the goat which did not flee and which I overcame, adding an unexpected 118 points to my score.

One strange thing happened. The violin was stolen and did not have it for a couple of goes when suddenly it started up again. This happened when my score was 1154 at about 11.56 am.

Angkor
pilgrim

Posted: 08-02-2010 04:54   
You can get up at least to Champ using this method, not sure if you can go beyond (can a Champ drink at the Spring? If so, then you could make it to Guardian.) Of course you are likely to meet the thief, magpie, fox or ram amongst others who can stuff it up for you. Or if there is Divine Intervention (tm) you might find the waters are poisoned or you are involved in an unwanted meeting with the ogre or an evil twin or two...

[ This Message was edited by: Angkor on 08-02-2010 04:55 ]

View Profile of Angkor      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
royston
ranger

Posted: 08-02-2010 10:13   
I made a mistake above when I said it would take 4 hrs and 45 minutes to reach Hero, by a factor of 10! It would in fact take 26 minutes and 40 seconds. I am surprised neither Hal nor Bliz picked me up on that.

The general formula is t=L*i/p. Where L is the number of points needed to get to the next level; i is the interval between taking drinks (ideally 10 seconds) and p is the number of points acquired at each drink.

I did not try a drink at Hero level by did so just now Superhero and I got just 4 points. So the reach champion from Hero it would take 6400 *10 /4. That is 16,000 seconds or roughly 4 hours and 24 minutes

Armand
explorer

Posted: 08-02-2010 10:25   
Quote:
Or if there is Divine Intervention (tm) you might find the waters are poisoned or you are involved in an unwanted meeting with the ogre or an evil twin or two...

Usually this only happens if you are abusing the feature for purposes it wasn't intended for. But you'd know more about that than me, eh?

The number of points you receive drops to 1 long before it caps, so your timeline to champion will be a lot longer than that. At your rate of 1 per 10 seconds, you would get 642 per full set, assuming an instant start and zero problems. By the time you set the whole thing up, spend time monitoring it, and fixing interruptions, you could have made more than 642 points doing normal stuff Still, I suppose it could be an interesting experiment to try once, with the reward of a free sorcerer (hopefully) at the end of it.

Armand
explorer

Posted: 08-02-2010 10:26   
By the way, there are reasonably effective ways of dealing with the mobiles so that they cause you less trouble. I'll leave you to discover those!

royston
ranger

Posted: 08-02-2010 11:00   
OK I will see how much you get at Champion when I get there.

In any event, I will repeat the experiment next time I am a Novice, unless in the meantime I Wiz

The problem is it gets as exciting as watching James 'you-can -see-what-I-was-trying-to-do-there' Bond playing pool.

Magician
cleric

Posted: 08-02-2010 20:52   
act, takes Royston off his "do not pk list"

<G>

[ This Message was edited by: Magician on 08-02-2010 20:53 ]

View Profile of Magician   Email Magician      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Magician
cleric

Posted: 08-02-2010 20:54   
Any way talking of pool, CF????? <G>

Turrican
Arch-Wizard

Posted: 08-02-2010 22:46   
Quote:

On 08-02-2010 11:00, royston wrote:
The problem is it gets as exciting as watching James 'you-can -see-what-I-was-trying-to-do-there' Bond playing pool.

That's how I feel about water-snakes. It's time that could be better spent pondering mud mysteries such as "if you talk to the dragon beforehand will it still attack?".

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
[New Topic]   [Reply]
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic

These forums may be read by anyone, but only registered mudII.co.uk
players may post. When posting, please refrain from behaviour
not tolerated in the game.

These forums are moderated.