MUDII Forum Index » » MUD2 Clients » » Specifications for MUD2 FE codes
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Author Specifications for MUD2 FE codes
Heiach
Wizard

Posted: 31-10-2013 03:57   
Quote:

On 29-10-2013 08:55, kiwijock wrote:
Heiach - I am now getting a reasonable understanding of how the FE codes work which are the essence of making a good client ( imnsho) . Personally I think Clio would be a good starting point for the comms side of things - what have you got for the GUI side ? if tabitha is still following this thread I'd be wiling to give it a go merging Hei's and Clio unless you'd want to do it? Tabitha has got all the pre refs so there is no point reinventing the wheel.

Radical thought....... How about integrating the Facebook api's so we had options to paste updates to fb.

I think it's way over my head.. I'll just stick to making Let's Play videos and creating 16bit games!

But if you're curious, this is what I made basically..

http://imgur.com/GjACgfF

It just lacks the coding to make it work as a real client.. I'm pretty sure Construct 2 (what I use to make video games) is capable of making a mud client.. every time I've got it to call various mud servers, I get errors.. I don't know the right codes and protocals I guess.

[ This Message was edited by: Heiach on 31-10-2013 04:05 ]

View Profile of Heiach   Email Heiach   Goto the website of Heiach          Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Turrican
Arch-Wizard

Posted: 31-10-2013 15:40   
Quote:

On 31-10-2013 03:56, Heiach wrote:
The same program I use to make html5 video games!

I assume from your next post "Construct 2".

Quote:

On 31-10-2013 03:57, Heiach wrote:
every time I've got it to call various mud servers, I get errors.. I don't know the right codes and protocals I guess.

How far have you got?

View Profile of Turrican      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Heiach
Wizard

Posted: 31-10-2013 18:36   
Not all that far.. I poked about with it for about 3-4 hours.. got tired of getting nothing but errors .

View Profile of Heiach   Email Heiach   Goto the website of Heiach          Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
kiwijock
cleric

Posted: 31-10-2013 18:54   
Looks like construct 2 only uses html and i can't see anything on its web site about how to make a telnet connection. Unless Turrican can point me at something I haven't found yet - MUD will only talk 'telnet'

[ This Message was edited by: kiwijock on 31-10-2013 18:55 ]

View Profile of kiwijock   Email kiwijock      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Turrican
Arch-Wizard

Posted: 01-11-2013 10:11   
Quote:

On 31-10-2013 18:36, Heiach wrote:
Not all that far.. I poked about with it for about 3-4 hours.. got tired of getting nothing but errors .

Can you be more specific? Or if you prefer - I don't know to what "errors" you're referring.

Quote:

On 31-10-2013 18:54, kiwijock wrote:
Unless Turrican can point me at something I haven't found yet - MUD will only talk 'telnet'

No, don't know anything about construct 2.

trollsmash
cleric

Posted: 01-11-2013 11:01   
We can reskin one of these embedded mudclients to save you from the coding trouble.

https://github.com/stendec/DecafMUD
http://bc-dev.net/projects/fmud/
http://debomud.org/hmud/
http://www.phudbase.com/webmud.php

Decafmud looks like the best one but it's in javascript which I have no experience with. Sooo customizing fmud or phudbase would be easier.
That wireplay3 replica is ugly as sin btw, who needs huge direction buttons floating around!

[ This Message was edited by: trollsmash on 01-11-2013 11:06 ]

View Profile of trollsmash      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Heiach
Wizard

Posted: 01-11-2013 21:16   
Quote:

That wireplay3 replica is ugly as sin btw, who needs huge direction buttons floating around!

Whaaaat?
It's beautiful!
Don't listen to him *covers the replica's ears*

kiwijock
cleric

Posted: 02-11-2013 08:28   
My current preference is a skin over Mudlet which is multi platform and NOT Java or javascript - do not hold your breath -btw - never used wire play but share some aspects of troll smashes view , general idea is good ie direction indicators , but why spread all over the place? Why not a simple compass in one corner that dynamically changes to show what is available? We could have dynamic sub pane / window with inventory, available spells, etc. all sorts of ideas and I think all possible within a "skin" that could be done on Mudlet

View Profile of kiwijock   Email kiwijock      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Turrican
Arch-Wizard

Posted: 02-11-2013 16:41   
Quote:

On 02-11-2013 08:28, kiwijock wrote:
never used wire play but share some aspects of troll smashes view , general idea is good ie direction indicators , but why spread all over the place?

I thought idea was to recreate the wireplay client F1 mode (I remember it flicked a lot too), or it could have 2 skins?

Snypster
cabalist

Posted: 18-11-2013 12:05   
Weirdly enough I just got phudbase connecting to the mud today.

View Profile of Snypster      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Heiach
Wizard

Posted: 02-12-2017 16:45   
Sorry to resurrect an old post but I can't believe I never included images of the "client" I made. I'd still love to get it actually functioning.

My "client":

Original it was based on:

[ This Message was edited by: Heiach on 02-12-2017 16:47 ]

Havoc
pioneer

Posted: 25-05-2018 01:28   
Quote:

Is there a spec anywhere that fully documents how the FE codes work when you run in client mode?

Ohai! I'm only just reading this now.

I'm intimately familiar with the FE codes, having written multiple clients over the years.

The good news is that the structure they create makes a ton of sense!

The bad news is that you have to figure out from examples exactly what everything means, and with what variations of nesting things can appear (depending on whether you're interested in just rendering colors accurately or extracting semantics).

The really bad news is that you *never* want to run into a rendering bug or a crash when you are using your client and there are at least three ways to run into trouble:

1. There is at least one termination bug in the mud2 code. So you need to handle that.
2. Wizzes can add color coding to text, and that goes through an ANSI -> FE code mangling process (which as I recall has colour-push and colour-pop semantics).
3. Snoops add a few extra surprises, especially in combination with #1 and #2.

In brief I recommend you reuse either the Clio C code or the mudiiclient Java code as your starting point. That is unless you're really dedicated or have some solid software engineering skills.

Cheers,
Havoc

[ This Message was edited by: Havoc on 25-05-2018 01:30 ]

View Profile of Havoc      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Havoc
pioneer

Posted: 25-05-2018 01:32   
Oh, ah! A *much* easier approach is to use reuse an existing telnet client library and negotiate for ANSI color. That's waaay simpler if all you want is colored text.

View Profile of Havoc      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
[New Topic]   [Reply]
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic

These forums may be read by anyone, but only registered mudII.co.uk
players may post. When posting, please refrain from behaviour
not tolerated in the game.

These forums are moderated.