[New Topic]   [Reply]
[Edit Profile]  [Edit Your Preferences]  [Search]
[Private Messages]  [Memberslist]  [FAQ]  [Login]
MUDII Forum Index » » MUD2 Clients » » New feature ideas
Author New feature ideas
Havoc
pioneer

Posted: 25-07-2015 00:33   
I've been thinking of features that I'd like to add to mudiiclient. Do you have ideas for what you'd like to see?

I'm interested in optimizing my resets. To that end I'm considering something that does log file analysis. Maybe providing a timeline for the reset with events on the timeline (e.g. "slayed dragon") and a graph of points scores (maybe with a breakdown of fights / treasure / other).

Another idea is typo correction and/or a form of macro expansion (e.g. "whp tr" autocorrected to "wh ptr", or "dc" expanded to "dr t f cc").

Any thoughts?

View Profile of Havoc      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
kiwijock
cleric

Posted: 26-07-2015 06:57   
how about:

1. Trapping 12 08 06, 12 09 and 12 10 FE codes to produce an ongoing MAP in a separate window?
2. a separate window showing your current inventory and what is located in the room you are in - FEI codes
3. I do not personally play with sound effects on - but how about full sounds support. eg special sounds on the 11 series of FE codes for spells, the full list of 13 series codes, some of which I have never even seen the message for in the game - eg "wailing sound of a warning siren", 18 series - always imagined 18 05 jump of cliff should be accompanied by a "Whee!" sound effect, 20 series background noises.
4. Another window showing WHO is playing - using FEW very few seconds - keep track of who may have snuck in and then lost invisibility

Richard wrote all of those codes into MUD2 so why not use them? I am assuming that since you wrote an FE client you have the full list?

As for Macros - how far would you go? Didn't I see something in your old documentation about supporting Function keys, but you then removed it as these were frowned on?

Would the auto correct macros be customisable - eg More than once I have died dead due to typing eatwf or et a wf instead of "eat a wf" - could we add our own favourite typos?

What about a separate window for vital stats - and use coloured 'temperature gauges" type display so rather than having to always keep eye on number or small change in colour - make a rather large red gauge when you go below a certain threshold - in fact why not have a running gauge - starts bright green at 120 or more - then gradually fades thru shades of green then oranges, then reds?

Interested to hear you comments on those ideas <g>

View Profile of kiwijock   Email kiwijock      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
kiwijock
cleric

Posted: 26-07-2015 07:00   
oh and how about a separate window for snooped results so they do not clog up your own window?

and yet another separate window for conversations / tells.

Oh yes and all of the windows I have suggested should be selectable as options from the configuration screen.

That should keep you out of mischief!

View Profile of kiwijock   Email kiwijock      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
kiwijock
cleric

Posted: 26-07-2015 07:13   
oh - and either remove the link to muddled times - or persuade Karya to resurrect it!

kiwijock
cleric

Posted: 26-07-2015 07:14   
I believe some people may use more than one account and have multiple personae - how about having an option to store multiple accounts and select which one you want to log on to?

Havoc
pioneer

Posted: 26-07-2015 15:22   
All players have a rate limit to how many commands they can issue per second. Each FES, FEI, FEW counts as a command. Even an occasional FES is slowing people down. FEI in particular would be a 2x slowdown if it fired after every location change.

Havoc
pioneer

Posted: 26-07-2015 15:24   
If you have only one thing from the list of ideas, what would it be, kiwijock?

Havoc
pioneer

Posted: 26-07-2015 15:27   
Spelling correction could either be a google-like feature where it tries to figure out what you might have meant using statistics and keyboard key proximity information, or it could be hand curated by me and/or by the user.

A possibility would be to have the typo correction update on the fly by recording everyone's typos to see if there's a trend, and then I could live update the typos list.

Havoc
pioneer

Posted: 26-07-2015 15:35   
I've started work on adding a graph to the game logs. Right now it shows your points over time. The idea being that you could compare the trend and the time to other resets.

Here's what it looks like so far:
http://i.imgur.com/0hrld2u.png

kiwijock
cleric

Posted: 02-08-2015 07:13   
Quote:

On 26-07-2015 15:24, Havoc wrote:
If you have only one thing from the list of ideas, what would it be, kiwijock?

multiple windows splitting various bits out into s separate window or panel

Havoc
pioneer

Posted: 02-08-2015 08:37   
Hmm. So #1, #2, and #4? Why would they be valuable?

kiwijock
cleric

Posted: 02-08-2015 09:13   
to remove clutter from the main screen - what we have today in most clients is a tty terminal with lots of info in one panel. windows - and I do NOT mean Bull Gates' system - have been around for a long time - so why not use the flexibility of multiple windows or panels to split out different type of text. For example its a good idea to do a qw every so often using the auto command - so the concept that Richard has was to allow folk to keep an eye on things by using the auto. Back in the 80s there wasn’t the option to easily split this to a new window - but there has been for a long time now. Why stick to 80s thinking?

[New Topic]   [Reply]
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic

These forums may be read by anyone, but only registered mudII.co.uk
players may post. When posting, please refrain from behaviour
not tolerated in the game.

These forums are moderated.