[New Topic]   [Reply]
[Edit Profile]  [Edit Your Preferences]  [Search]
[Private Messages]  [Memberslist]  [FAQ]  [Login]
MUDII Forum Index » » General Technical Questions » » BB software
Author BB software
Foddy
Arch-Wizard

Posted: 29-08-2001 20:58   
I have to say, having fixed the problem Gothik spotted today and tried to get the "who's online" page to work a little more reasonably, that I'm not overly impressed with phpBB.

I understand that version 2 will be out soon, and it's supposed to be a lot better, but that could just lead to more features with more bugs.

I'd be tempted to switch to vBulletin, which is what Wireplay used - I've heard from other people that it's very good, but I thought I'd ask here first ...

Does anyone have any experience with running Web BB software? If so, which would you choose?

It has to be pretty flexible (e.g. with phpBB I've removed all the registration bits and tied it into the MUD admin database) but bug-free and security-concious code is important, too.

Change isn't good - if I'm going to switch, it'll only happen once - so I'd appreciate it if you let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Foddy

View Profile of Foddy      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Popculturemonkey
friar

Posted: 29-08-2001 21:45   
Go here:

http://sb254.com/startreknl/hack.htm For a load of PHPBB hacks.

And here:

http://phpbbmod.sourceforge.net/

For the PHPBB mod project that makes these forums pretty much as good as any other.

Now, thank The Monkey for his benevolence.

View Profile of Popculturemonkey   Email Popculturemonkey   Goto the website of Popculturemonkey   ICQ status             Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Foddy
Arch-Wizard

Posted: 29-08-2001 22:23   
Quote:

On 29-08-2001 21:45, Popculturemonkey wrote:
Go here:

http://phpbbmod.sourceforge.net/

For the PHPBB mod project that makes these forums pretty much as good as any other.

Thanks for the links.

I had had a look at phpBBmod, but decided against it as it has no long term future (as soon as phpBB 2 is released, they plan to retire to the land of template editing.

Most forums these days look much the same - it's quite hard to tell UBB from vBulletin from phpBB from ... well, you get the idea.

PHP is an evil language. I need to find something where the coders care more about performance and security than features.

I've had to make something like 50 changes to the phpBB code to get this forum up as it is now. Upgrading to a new version won't be trivial.

I'm beginning to think that phpBB 2 will be a distinct possibility - they've apparently re-written the core code, which is nice. If I can make the bulk of my changes in the form of templates, then so much the better.

Maybe there's a better option, though ... who knows!

Foddy

View Profile of Foddy      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Azrael
Wizard

Posted: 30-08-2001 00:21   
You could, of course, use the bb software that Muddy and Jericho's site used.. Expect many pointless posts from names like Captain Felch-A-Lot, though.

View Profile of Azrael      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Gothik
cabalist

Posted: 30-08-2001 09:00   
Thinks as long as the replacement bbsoftware
can cope with the cute look of this one then security is key.... would hate to have someone like Lord felch a lot to take over my account!

^.^

View Profile of Gothik   Email Gothik      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Belcher
protector

Posted: 30-08-2001 22:12   
And what would be wrong with that Azrael?

View Profile of Belcher      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Belcher
protector

Posted: 30-08-2001 23:17   
Damn my post carried more weight when my name was Felcher.

I guess Belcher is mildly offensive.

View Profile of Belcher      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Shantigh
friar

Posted: 02-09-2001 12:30   
Hiya Foddy

I'm not all that much help, as I'm not sure where this BB came from, but it works really well and we've been using it for awhile now:

http://www.hfshc.org/cgi-bin/bb.pl

We've only came across a few curious bugs, and we have a problem with some accounts (they somehow aren't classed as general users, and don't count posts etc, and wont let users post a siggy). But on the whole it works well.

The only problem is, we got it from Blaze, and they appear to have disappeared....

View Profile of Shantigh   Email Shantigh   Goto the website of Shantigh   ICQ status             Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Theman
cleric

Posted: 02-09-2001 12:51   
I think we've already gone too far on this forum to just change now, what's to stay the next piece of software you choose will be better than this one?

View Profile of Theman   Email Theman      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
[New Topic]   [Reply]
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic

These forums may be read by anyone, but only registered mudII.co.uk
players may post. When posting, please refrain from behaviour
not tolerated in the game.

These forums are moderated.