[New Topic]   [Reply]
[Edit Profile]  [Edit Your Preferences]  [Search]
[Private Messages]  [Memberslist]  [FAQ]  [Login]
MUDII Forum Index » » General Chat » » MUD2's long term plan
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Author MUD2's long term plan
Cradle
cleric

Posted: 10-09-2006 18:48   
Thats all free event nights will attract, players who already know about the game

Only then it'll be old faces returning for one night a week.

View Profile of Cradle   Email Cradle      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Karya
Arch-Witch

Posted: 10-09-2006 19:05   
I wasn't proposing free event nights as a way to attract new players. That's another issue altogether.

Or did you think I suggested it instead of a new pricing system? I didn't mean that either.

It's something that can be introduced now (as a trial or otherwise) where-as a donation system, going totally free etc would take some time to work out and of course discuss with Richard and Viktor.

View Profile of Karya      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Zordell
cleric

Posted: 10-09-2006 20:14   
Hey everyone,
I have been a part of the MUD community for what...seven or eight years now, and I think I speak for everyone when I say that it is heartbreaking to see a once lively and bouncy community thin down. Hello...who am I supposed to talk to in Tea Room? Only kidding
Hei's idea for donations for prefixes is brilliant...I am being dopey did the idea for special weapons which you pay for monthly come up or various potions? I know I would be right in there to donate monthly regardless of whether or not others do, I think it is the least I can do. I would also pay for a prefix monthly. Oh yes!
Lets get MUD back up and busy again!

View Profile of Zordell        Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Melisma
pilgrim

Posted: 10-09-2006 21:16   
First time I try and use the forums and it loses my first post!

I'm not sure about the paying for priviliges suggestion. I would happily make a donation each month but if I did something good or remarkable like win an event or <gasp> make wiz some day some people might think I paid for the privilige. I would want to do things on my own merit but if there was a pay for priviliges type thing going on there would always be that doubt.

As I said I would happily donate something each month but I'm not sure it would go far with the ?150 a month you need{

View Profile of Melisma      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Havoc
pioneer

Posted: 11-09-2006 15:53   
It seems there are a few general areas to consider:

* donation model - discussing with Richard and Viktor
* cutting costs - moving to ADSL with lower service
* advertising - probably the biggest topic of all (free ads, paid for (effective!) ads, press?)
* hooking newbies - if they do look at Mud2, how do we snare them?

View Profile of Havoc      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Heiach
Wizard

Posted: 11-09-2006 17:39   
I didn't suggest paying for weapons and potions myself... whereas Im sure people would be willing to donate for these, it could quite easily break the game and/or cause problems when winning something.

A free MUD is definitely worth it.. but we need a good and large player-base again :S...

View Profile of Heiach   Email Heiach   Goto the website of Heiach          Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Cradle
cleric

Posted: 11-09-2006 20:27   
When you say potions do you mean +str potions, HP, Mana points etc, wouldnt that bring a HUGE disadvantage to everyone else?

Just a question

View Profile of Cradle   Email Cradle      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Cradle
cleric

Posted: 11-09-2006 20:28   
Insted of potions try costumes like we did on halloween pay for mobile costumes or wizard costumes etc

Zordell
cleric

Posted: 11-09-2006 23:16   
Yeah they will be at more of an advantage with a super-duper weapon or potion paid for (one a month maximum maybe and only lasts the month?) but hell thats why the money is spent...why else would somebody pay unless its for something to their advantage? Paying for privileges whilst wizrunning would probably be a big fat no no- mages onwards? Below that and you arent a blip on the radar really Obviously if you plan on making wiz you need to do it all on your own merits but what if theres something to speed up the process from warrior to champ...the part most people moan about? Hence super-duper weapon or whatever to help you get there faster. Boy am I rambling.

Silly
pilgrim

Posted: 12-09-2006 00:00   
Can I suggest that everyone who owns their own website links to Mud2 on their front page.

That way we can attempt to increase the Mud2 pagerank for Google.

I'll do that for Hypereon.net.

View Profile of Silly      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Heiach
Wizard

Posted: 12-09-2006 13:56   
I'm not sure where the potions and weapons idea came from.. I probably just missed it while skim-reading. I think that people would be willing to pay for things that aren't an advantage.. you said so yourself Zordell that the prefix idea was a good one and I can't see any advantage that brings .

I suggested a possibly early boost in points to Hero but I can see even that getting silly.. depending on the price of course.. evenone could conceivably buy that every time and therefor eliminate the levels before it entirely!

People could be given an item in the tearoom that is ONLY in the tearoom. It does nothing but could appear to be the +5 celestial, undead bane shortbow of terror if they want.

As for potions.. I could see some of them being payed for and used in the tearoom... ones such as "change" for example.. for those unable or too lazy to enter the land and do it themselves... not likely though.

I'd rather not see too many wizard-only things being payed for but some of the other things could be options too.. like the movement messages... someone might want an in-characterful limp etc..

As annoying as the trudge from movice to champion is.. it does still serve a purpose. Also, what if a newbie were to come along and buy themselves a champion? Ok so it could be set so accounts that are less than 2 weeks old can't access those particular options.. but still... all of that learning and progression would be lost.

I'm sorry to have put down the idea so much and many apologies if I've caused offense but we do want the game free... but we don't want to destroy it in the process.

- Nathe

View Profile of Heiach   Email Heiach   Goto the website of Heiach          Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Silly
pilgrim

Posted: 12-09-2006 14:33   
Quote:
I suggested a possibly early boost in points to Hero but *snip* the levels before it entirely!

Thats the whole point isn't it? I mean, if everyone didn't do that then the idea wouldn't really help towards the costs of running the service itself.

Quote:
what if a newbie were to come along and buy themselves a champion? *snip* all of that learning and progression would be lost.

Totally agree there, I'd not even thought of any of this in terms of newbies... But destroying learning experience of mud2 can't be an option

Quote:
I'm sorry to have put down the idea so much and many apologies if I've caused offense but we do want the game free... but we don't want to destroy it in the process.

Agreed

Silly
pilgrim

Posted: 12-09-2006 15:10   
The way I see it, the best way to cut costs is to move Mud2 onto a "home" PC. The only problem there is Foddy would have to keep the thing running. If Mud2 were to go offline, mudders would have to wait until Foddy got home to restart it.

I would be willing to suffer through that, because at the moment Foddy is paying huge amounts for something that is hardly getting used.

Heiach
Wizard

Posted: 12-09-2006 17:18   
Something that just occured to me... aren't some of the costs in licensing? In order to host the game doesn't one have to pay for that leisure?

Home computer you say? It depends on how much cheaper it would be and how much slower too.. as much as I love the game, I'd get very put off when playing if the lag was as bad as dotcom.

As for instant points (which btw hasn't even been replied to by the powers that be) if this was to even be considered, some kind of ruling would have to be applied. Is being a protector with 60stam and about the same Str and Dex on average all *that* bad for a short while anyway?

I think it's nice to have a little period where, sure you can't cast spells unless you're VERY lucky with the TS, you can run around and enjoy the game, not having to worry about any of the various threats one encounters at later levels.

Me thinks we should see what those above think about instant points and to what degree.

But yes, excluding the ideas, such as the one above, which could breaker the game a little easier than some of the others. I think that the afore mentioned "other" ideas could be very benefitial to the MUD if it were go to free. It could, of course, be used to supplement as it is now..

I've noticed that people haven't openly stated the amount they'd be able to/willing to donate should that happen.. sure you may wait until the next issue of Muddled-Times but it might be good to get a little handle on the figure a bit earlier..

At the moment, correct me if I'm wrong, but it currently costs ?5 per month and ?2.50 for off-peak? I could easily afford to pay that.. even if I don't intend to play much due to studying.. I'd at least consider it a charitable donation to a good cause.

One other idea just came to me, it may be silly but I understand that all of the wizards have their characters backed-up incase there was a wipe or a crash. One thing that people may be willing to pay for is to have their accounts or a character on the said back-up disk. Just a thought.

I think I've babbled on enough - Nathe

[ This Message was edited by: Heiach on 12-09-2006 17:21 ]

Melisma
pilgrim

Posted: 12-09-2006 18:21   
Quote:

On 12-09-2006 13:56, Heiach wrote:

I'd rather not see too many wizard-only things being payed for but some of the other things could be options too..

Personally this hadn't occured to me but now I think of it I agree and tbh I see things like potions, prefixes, weapons, other items etc as wiz only things. Surely part of the appeal of making wiz is to be able to do stuff like this. If we can buy it it takes some of the fun out of the game.

And I would be willing to donate/sponser/whatever about ?7 a month.

View Profile of Melisma      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Zordell
cleric

Posted: 12-09-2006 19:36   
A newbie shooting to champ in first week is gonna snuff it cos they won't know how to protect themselves...being honest the whole paying for items idea is probably a waste of breath but its still fun being creative Realistically how many people are willing to pay donations every month that Mud will require without fail? As for the license stuff we don't know whats going on there cos well...we are morts it ain't our business to know but I still reckon that a meeting on Mud, like last time, should be considered..and maybe there the wizzes can tell us exactly what is going on if that is at all possible. If everyone knew the facts then we would be in a better position to do something to help. The last meeting was all about holding hands and being nice to eachother and the ideas discussed never came into action that I can recall...the only changes I remember are the prefixes being taken away *pouts*
The reason I brought this up is if there is going to be a meeting this time everything should be explained and maybe let the whole mort/wiz barrier thing down for one eve...if there is info we are big boys and girls we can take it and we might be able to help I hope I dont come across as snippy but theres no point in beating around the bush anymore is there :|

Foddy
Arch-Wizard

Posted: 12-09-2006 23:42   
Wow! What a lot of comments, there have been some good ideas.

I don't think it would be a good idea for players to "buy" in-game perks of any type. Apart from anything else, it then wouldn't then be a donation, and players would essentially be paying for the game directly.

You have to be careful about limiting perks to low levels too, as while a fancy sword may help a player reach champ sooner, it might also help a PK kill that mage a bit quicker!

I'm not saying this isn't an option, but it's not a donation, and anything like this would have to be carefuly analysed for its effect on gameplay.

Heiach - instant points, as you put it, could have a similar result and may simply de-value champions and make getting to a higher level harder. I think it'd be difficult to pick a benefit which is valuable enough for players to pay for while not unbalancing the game.

Tea room objects might be an option, but would have to be in keeping with the game (no mobile phones in the tearoom!) Rather than paying for tea-room objects, players can be given the opportunity to win them in events, which has already happened at Christmas events.

Silly - excellent idea about linking to the site, go for it!

Regarding moving to a cheaper server, it is likely that the lag will be worse, but without the transatlantic hop, it unlikely to be as slow as mud2.com is from the UK. I'm sure, if we go down that route, we can find something appropriate with reasonable connectivity.

Zordell - this forum is the best place to discuss things, that way people who aren't present won't miss out on what's said, and even the quiet people get a chance to say something.

By the way, I always thought getting from novice to champion was the best bit!

Getting back on topic, I need to talk to Richard about any changes in the pricing model, including licensing costs. When I speak to him, I will mention all the ideas that have been brought up here.

Zordell - nothing is being kept from you. As has been mentioned before, the average monthly cost at the moment is ?150 (it varies each month). The biggest savings can be made by cutting advertising costs, event prizes, and losing domain names. A further saving can be made by switching from Worldpay to PayPal. As mentioned before, a saving can also be made by downgrading the server. You can draw your own conclusions about the effects of cutting advertising and domain names!

There have been a lot of points to cover here, and I apologise if I've missed anything - if I have, please let me know and I'll address your points.

View Profile of Foddy      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Silly
pilgrim

Posted: 13-09-2006 00:11   
Quote:
A further saving can be made by switching from Worldpay to PayPal

Really?

Personally, I'd prefer to use paypal. I won't have to keep entering my details to accomplish a subscription then!

[ This Message was edited by: Silly on 13-09-2006 00:18 ]

Heiach
Wizard

Posted: 15-09-2006 12:58   
Quote:

On 12-09-2006 23:42, Foddy wrote:

I don't think it would be a good idea for players to "buy" in-game perks of any type. Apart from anything else, it then wouldn't then be a donation, and players would essentially be paying for the game directly.

I can see your point but the way I intended it was that people who donate would receive a little something like a prefix or badge.. something for their efforts, if keeping mudii free wasn't enough of an incentive!

IE, something that isn't game breaking.

And then I went onto ideas that could potentially bring in more money for the game that people would be willing to give money for. It's not exactly paying for the game as you don't have to donate anything for any of the previously discussed perks!

Just ideas - Nathe

Tharg
friar

Posted: 15-09-2006 13:25   
I like this idea of getting stuff that gives no advantage in game. If I was a bit less poor and played more often it might persuade me to help support.

Other ideas for this :

A VIP area off the tea room, with some cool stuff to muck around with in there. Perhaps some mini puzzles (with no points reward).

Names in a book, or on a plaque, or somthing like that in game. 'Stewards of the Land' or some such. Making it a book with a fun story featuring the names would be cool.

Some of the statues in game could be randomly assigned to be statues of the donators' chosen personae.

The names could appear in dreams.

Etc.

View Profile of Tharg      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
[New Topic]   [Reply]
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic

These forums may be read by anyone, but only registered mudII.co.uk
players may post. When posting, please refrain from behaviour
not tolerated in the game.

These forums are moderated.