[New Topic]   [Reply]
[Edit Profile]  [Edit Your Preferences]  [Search]
[Private Messages]  [Memberslist]  [FAQ]  [Login]
MUDII Forum Index » » General Chat » » MUD2's long term plan
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
Author MUD2's long term plan
Heiach
Wizard

Posted: 25-09-2006 21:00   
That idea seems to be a little... well I don't think it'll work that well..

Congratulations you have reached level 8, guardian, please insert 2 quarters.

PS. Is Mathias Dr. D Thorpe?

View Profile of Heiach   Email Heiach   Goto the website of Heiach          Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Shantigh
friar

Posted: 25-09-2006 21:03   
It is a lot of work, but quite fulfilling, which is why I'd be more than happy to help out, I enjoy getting a success when various ideas work, plus it's good experience for a girl planning to start her own P.R company

I don't check these boards often, as I tend to forget about them *blush*. But if/when Foddy/Karya are ready to roll with something - please mail me, even if just to direct me back here again. I am interested in helping, and will look into it myself for ideas on promotion. I'm currently doing work for http://www.falkirkwriterscircle.co.uk, and may see if I can convince some of the writers to take a look - if/when changes take place.

Take Care

PS. E-mail is KirstinVP@hfshc.com

View Profile of Shantigh   Email Shantigh   Goto the website of Shantigh   ICQ status             Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Cradle
cleric

Posted: 26-09-2006 08:05   
Expect a lil flow of players soon who ive asked to check the game out

fd

View Profile of Cradle   Email Cradle      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Silly
pilgrim

Posted: 26-09-2006 18:59   
Quote:
one big project is a radical overhaul of the website, which is something we've already started to work on recently.

Let me know if you want help with that.

Web design is my middle name

View Profile of Silly      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Heiach
Wizard

Posted: 28-09-2006 17:51   
Quote:

On 26-09-2006 08:05, Cradle wrote:
Expect a lil flow of players soon who ive asked to check the game out

fd

have you remembered the "invite a friend" scheme? I believe you can get a free month for doing that FD!

View Profile of Heiach   Email Heiach   Goto the website of Heiach          Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Havoc
pioneer

Posted: 28-09-2006 22:44   
Mm. I've been thinking also that the web page would need some work. The web site is great for existing players, but if you're in the shoes of the guy who just though "alright, so I'll follow the link to that website"..

I was thinking we could make a whole newbie area to the site to introduce players. It could take the form of a wiki so that the existing player-base could help contribute material easily.

How does that sound?

Havoc

[ This Message was edited by: Malbery on 28-09-2006 22:46 ]

View Profile of Havoc      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Havoc
pioneer

Posted: 28-09-2006 22:44   
Along other lines. Without going free-to-play, how about this?

"Free this winter semester to UK students" ??

they could open an account automatically by emailling to a mudii.co.uk email address *from* an .ac.uk address. The winter semester has just started, and by making it free to students for this semster we could probably get away with coming up with a poster for it and encouraging existing and new members to put some up for us.

I think this would help a great deal. None of these players are going to be paying players for the immediate future, but we do need to find ways to get a larger base of players regardless.

Havoc

[ This Message was edited by: Malbery on 28-09-2006 22:49 ]

Havoc
pioneer

Posted: 28-09-2006 22:55   
Again, related to hooking new players; I took up Mud again after a break and found that the selection of clients was pretty poor. It would be great if we had a customised client.

My thoughts have been something fairly straight-forward that steals some established concepts from games like Diablo. Basically status information along the bottom of the screen, play area occuplying the rest. These sorts of games tend to have "health" and "magic" balls in the bottom corners of the screen, and some quick-activiation items. I'm sure we could borrow a lot of these ideas to make our concepts more quickly absorbed, and provide a more familiar settings than just plain text.

I would be willing to put some time in to create a client. For my tastes it would have to be cross-platform as I use purely Linux these days.

How does this sounds? Do people have ideas as to what would make a mudii client better at hooking newbies? If there is enough interest we could start a seperate thread to discuss it.

Karya
Arch-Witch

Posted: 29-09-2006 19:10   
Quote:

On 28-09-2006 22:44, Malbery wrote:
Mm. I've been thinking also that the web page would need some work. The web site is great for existing players, but if you're in the

shoes of the guy who just though "alright, so I'll follow the link to that website"..

You're absolutely right. Foddy and I are in the process of radically re-designing the website for other reasons. This is a perfect opportunity to make it more newbie friendly.

Quote:

It would be great if we had a customised client.

Yes, agreed.

Quote:

I would be willing to put some time in to create a client. For my tastes it would have to be cross-platform as I use purely Linux

these days.

This would be great. I know that there are a small number of players who use Apple Macs but have trouble using the existing clients. A good client that would work across all computers and operating systems would be excellent.

Quote:

How does this sounds? Do people have ideas as to what would make a mudii client better at hooking newbies?

The problem is that a Diablo-esque client would have to be downloaded which isn't in itself newbie friendly. Ideally we need two new clients. One to replace the current Java applet which is, to be honest, pretty crude. This is the client aimed at newbies. The other client will be the custom-made Diablo-esque client which will appeal to recent newbies and returning players.

Quote:

If there is enough interest we could start a seperate thread to discuss it.

I think that's a very good idea. As they are closely related I am going to start a new thread about new clients and making the site more newbie-friendly.

[ This Message was edited by: Karya on 29-09-2006 19:12 ]

View Profile of Karya      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Nightshiver
novice

Posted: 15-10-2006 02:01   
Well from a newbie perspective, there is almost nothing that leaps out and says "Join me i am Fun" No screenshots, no testimonials, pretty dull site.
The fee for play well thats a major disincentive. Advertising it in Pounds and not US$ is also a mistake, the worlds most avid gamers are Americans.

Consider that games like Guild Wars are free to play maybe looking at an Account purchase free to play revenue structre for a period ie Year then a small annual fee afterwards.

Trouble is i have no idea what the game is about and it seems i need to do a lot of searching to find out.

Now thats my first impression sorry if its a tad negative.

As for promotion and donations being able to support it well thats unlikely in the short/medium term. I run a game site with a considerabley larger user base (180,000) and we pull about $4000 - $5000 US per annum from google ads and donations.

marketing yourself is not that hard if you have a good product makinng accounts and posting on some of the larger game forums helps , make your self "FanTags" for wearing on other forums word spreads fast in the gaming community.

good luck

View Profile of Nightshiver      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Foddy
Arch-Wizard

Posted: 15-10-2006 22:39   
Quote:
On 15-10-2006 02:01, Nightshiver wrote:
Advertising it in Pounds and not US$ is also a mistake, the worlds most avid gamers are Americans.

That was a conscious decision - mud2.com is aimed more towards the American market and we wanted to overlap as little as possible. mudii.co.uk came from Wireplay, which was primarily a UK game.

Quote:
Trouble is i have no idea what the game is about and it seems i need to do a lot of searching to find out.

That's a really good point. Historically, the website was put together to support an existing community which was dropped by Wireplay. Of course, these days we do need to broaden its reach and so the new website will be a lot more newbie-focused.

Quote:
Now thats my first impression sorry if its a tad negative.

No, all feedback is good, thanks!

View Profile of Foddy      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Havoc
pioneer

Posted: 16-10-2006 00:13   
I thought there was serious merit to the idea of giving free accounts to .ac.uk students until the end of the winter semester.

Tzunami
cabalist

Posted: 16-10-2006 00:23   
I think we should start calling the mobiles 'fiends'.

View Profile of Tzunami      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Heiach
Wizard

Posted: 16-10-2006 16:36   
Isn't that from Final Fantasy?

Melisma
pilgrim

Posted: 16-10-2006 18:49   
Quote:

On 15-10-2006 02:01, Nightshiver wrote:
Advertising it in Pounds and not US$ is also a mistake, the worlds most avid gamers are Americans.

I thought it was people from Asia Pacific?

View Profile of Melisma      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Cradle
cleric

Posted: 18-10-2006 00:50   
Congratulations, few weeks ago heres me thinking the forums were at a complete stand still.

If the devotion about talking about the changes is this good, im looking forward to the actual result ^^

seeya soon

FD

View Profile of Cradle   Email Cradle      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Havoc
pioneer

Posted: 18-10-2006 07:33   
I see it this way: What can we do to build the MUD2 community? It MUD were free I'd be printing up lots of fliers and leaving them around my local uni and cafes or something.

Cradle
cleric

Posted: 18-10-2006 09:04   
Actualy, just from FFX. i play alot of FFXI and we call them mobs aswel!

tsu, do you play aswel

fd

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
[New Topic]   [Reply]
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic

These forums may be read by anyone, but only registered mudII.co.uk
players may post. When posting, please refrain from behaviour
not tolerated in the game.

These forums are moderated.