[New Topic]   [Reply]
[Edit Profile]  [Edit Your Preferences]  [Search]
[Private Messages]  [Memberslist]  [FAQ]  [Login]
MUDII Forum Index » » General Chat » » So, where the hell are y'all?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Author So, where the hell are y'all?
Theman
cleric

Posted: 26-01-2002 16:42   
I'm confused with the use of quotes such as:

Quote:
MUSE is always on the look out for new partners to license the game, however it is of paramount importance that existing MUD2 sites are not unduly affected. If two versions of the game are equally readily available, players will simply migrate to the one which is the least expensive for them.

Surely WPMUD2 was SERIOUSLY harmful to .com, as one was free. I'm not using this as a point in the "MUDii should be cheaper debate" but I'm curious to how such a situation was created.

View Profile of Theman   Email Theman      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Droo
Wizard

Posted: 27-01-2002 13:25   
This situation was created in your mind, or alternatively, elsewhere.

Droo.

View Profile of Droo        Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Turin
protector

Posted: 31-01-2002 23:05   
I think the two Mud 2 sites should merge, have a player wipe to sort out the difficulty of merging tons of high level characters from both sites, and then charge a price more comparable to Everquest,UO,Daoc, etc. I'm sure Foddy and Viktor would be taking in less, but hopefully it would increase the amount of people willing to pay monthly enough that it wouldn't be much less so. I just hate seeing 2 different Mud 2's that are pretty slow right now!

Turin

[ This Message was edited by: Turin on 31-01-2002 23:06 ]

View Profile of Turin      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Eric
cleric

Posted: 01-02-2002 01:32   
Would Richard/Muse let the servers merge? Would he/they want double in royalties to cover the loss? What about the people who have wizzes with same names, although I can't think of any offhand that are different people..

What about mortal persona names that are the names of wizzes on other incarnations (particular stubborn grumble there in my case, and I know wizzes would get preference, no matter how long the mort has had their name ). Where would the server be hosted? Who would be the arches?

There are lots of different factors to consider, and personally I think merging would be a bad thing.

View Profile of Eric   Goto the website of Eric   ICQ status           Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Droo
Wizard

Posted: 01-02-2002 14:56   

well as for royalties, surely what wouldnt change? a royalty is a percentage of the money taken and if the same amount of people are playing the amount muse will recieve will remain static, although a merger may actually bring in more people.

Droo

Lcyka
pilgrim

Posted: 08-02-2002 13:37   
Hi im here not much but i am here,

Drcuilla the Mad sorceress!!

View Profile of Lcyka   ICQ status             Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Mike
pilgrim

Posted: 02-03-2002 11:44   
so whats this thing you said about getting all the old wp players back on mud or something Droo?

View Profile of Mike   Email Mike        Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Vulnax
explorer

Posted: 03-03-2002 23:20   
[quote]
I think I've got this feeling because someone told me, that the price was because of 2.com's price - and it is that price that scared away the majority of the players.
{Unquote}

Just wondering, what would you be prepared to pay for MUDII .... ?1 a week, ?2 a week?
What's that in bottles of vodka?

So what does it cost for a server or storage space/cpu time and high bandwidth comms line per month? Lets divide that by the expected number of players and allow Foddy et al a little profit, then that could give a minimum price to aim at.

Of course, 100 people at ?6 a month is worth more than 10 people at ?12 a month... but it's getting those people on in the first place.
Several of you old school ( WP etc. ) players have been bemoaning the price now, but remember us old(er) players who were braving the WP rates in the 1996/1997 (?) era, what was it 1.5p a min on the phone bill, several hundred pounds a month / quarter etc... and still we played.

Thats when a lot of the infrequently seen wizzes made it, and many more of us who didn't make it....

J

View Profile of Vulnax   Goto the website of Vulnax        Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Gadget
friar

Posted: 04-03-2002 00:08   
not quotin it cus its too long but jamesb just made THE best point for this whole thread.

View Profile of Gadget        Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Azrael
Wizard

Posted: 04-03-2002 11:16   
That's the point I've tried to tell people all along - of course, no-one pays any attention to it, they've even came out with things like "well that was different, I wasn't paying for MUD back then, I was paying for the internet" (even though the people in question were likely to be focusing 90% of their attention on MUD).

Even though existing players will happily pay ?12 or ?6 a month for MUD, Wireplay's strength was that it had a constant stream of newbies on tap - it's difficult to convince someone that it's worth paying for until they've got into it.

View Profile of Azrael      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Gadget
friar

Posted: 04-03-2002 17:14   
How about a limited persona (not a guest) but limited by level? or ability to become a muser? Neither the guest account nor the 6 free hours really allows for a new player to develop a feel, most of the player base now are only here because they've played on wp, or have tried it from mud2.com.
WE NEED TO ATTRACT MORE NEW PLAYERS SO WE CAN GET THEM ADDICTED!!!!

Pinky: "What are we going to do tonight Brain?"
Brain: "The same thing we do every night, Pinky, try and take over the world!"

View Profile of Gadget        Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Azrael
Wizard

Posted: 04-03-2002 17:18   
I quite like that idea in theory, but again on Wireplay there were a lot of people who would play up each persona on an account to sorc or whatever, and then just move onto another account and do the same thing instead of playing their magic users. The new system would simply encourage people to do this, instead of pay to play their personae upwards from champ or wherever the cut-off point is.

[edit] Ok, so in retrospect there were only about three mortals who did this, but still.

[ This Message was edited by: Azrael on 04-03-2002 17:20 ]

View Profile of Azrael      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Syl
protector

Posted: 05-03-2002 00:40   
Quote:

On 03-03-2002 23:20, Jamesb wrote:

Several of you old school ( WP etc. ) players have been bemoaning the price now, but remember us old(er) players who were braving the WP rates in the 1996/1997 (?) era, what was it 1.5p a min on the phone bill, several hundred pounds a month / quarter etc... and still we played.

I remember the day... etc etc

But that was when my parents paid the ?120 per month phone bill "as long as it will be much less next month"... suckers.

SYL

View Profile of Syl      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Droo
Wizard

Posted: 05-03-2002 16:08   

Well folks, you know what I say? between all the old skool mud2 players we should mastermind the perfect utopian society where everything is free, and then start playing mud again...

That seems SOOOO much easier than paying a couple of quid a month.

Ah well...

Droo the ever-livvvinnnngggg...
(ala mummra the everliving.)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
[New Topic]   [Reply]
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic

These forums may be read by anyone, but only registered mudII.co.uk
players may post. When posting, please refrain from behaviour
not tolerated in the game.

These forums are moderated.