[New Topic]   [Reply]
[Edit Profile]  [Edit Your Preferences]  [Search]
[Private Messages]  [Memberslist]  [FAQ]  [Login]
MUDII Forum Index » » General Chat » » Shattered Realms - MUD Merger
Author Shattered Realms - MUD Merger
Theman
cleric

Posted: 03-04-2002 20:41   
If you take a look at traditional unions in the sense of two different entities coming together historically the results are very difficult to predict. The traditional country unions that are typical of this kind of two powers joining scienario such as Austria-Hungary (WWI) and then there is the continual trouble in areas like the Middle-East.

Ok, so MUD isn't a country but in many ways it has to fundementally act as one. So say Foddy and Viktor get along fine...they manage to settle where things should be and who runs what..and then say the wizzes manage to pull together. They of course need to agree on a accepted standard for policing the game, too many contrasting standards of control will cause a spilt. But what of traditional human reactions like greed and competition I get the distinct impression that it will only take one wiz to tip the balance of power, players will band together and before we now it there will be a group who want to leave and go make their own MUD.

So am I in favour of a merger? No, not unless you can prove to me that it will actually work. And that's of course the whole problem..technically it's not the kind of thing you can run over a month or so to 'see how it goes'. It will either work or it won't.

Actually my doubts come in when the admins move on, when the wizzes change...I would like to think that the game would be able to continue with the solid friendships between admins that it would be built on but I somehow doubt that would last.
Maybe I am to pesimistic but I feel if the merger goes wrong we may end up with many more than just the two MUDs on the web.

[ This Message was edited by: Theman on 03-04-2002 20:42 ]

View Profile of Theman   Email Theman      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Zalagar
cleric

Posted: 03-04-2002 21:29   
Okay, here are my thoughts on the often-suggested merger between MUD2.com and mudii.co.uk.

I'm of two minds about this. On the one hand, having two seperate MUD2 incarnations does, as Viktor said, fragment an already small community. MUD2.com is, I feel, suffering because it does not seem to have much in the way of 'events' that people feel are worthwhile to attend, such as Quest Night, Quiz Night, Sorc Wars, and such. The lack of these events may be blamed on not enough players there interested. The last time I saw a mobile bash on there was when I was guesting this past autumn.

On the other hand, I would rather that MUD2 not keep all its eggs in one basket. If something were to happen to close down one incarnation, then the other incarnation would still be available while we await someone to start another one to take its place. One of the reasons I came to mudii.co.uk is so that I would still have a MUD2 to go to just in case something happened to MUD2.com (and the current MUDspeke entry on MUD2.com has a dire prediction about its future).

Merging the two MUDs would put all the eggs in the one basket. Furthermore, others have made the point that allowing the two MUDs to have their own seperate identities and management is a good thing, and I can understand that (on the other hand, I'm stumped for ideas for creating enthusiasm for mud2.com that don't involve stealing ideas from mudii.co.uk).

As for the fear that people might become disgruntled and cause five or six different MUD2 incarnations, fragmenting the community even further, I'd say that's unlikely. I've seen no evidence of in-fighting or dissension in game management, and no signs that it's likely to occur in the future. But then again, I'm still a mortal on both MUDs, so I can't say for sure. But still, I think Theman's scenario is unlikely to occur in the near future.

View Profile of Zalagar      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Maxmage
cabalist

Posted: 03-04-2002 23:33   
I think that, providing any lag issues for distant users can be sorted out, a merger would probably be a good idea. A single incarnation would have all the players from both, and would be able to make unified decisions on things like the pricing policy, enabling them to tempt back other wayward players.

The other thing that potentially bothers me slightly is the actual merging itself - this would have to be pulled off without a hitch, or else it could disrupt the mud community with drastic results.

If that can be avoided (and there isn't too much friction between the .com and .co.uk players - I don't see why there would be, really...) then I can't see how a merger would be a bad thing. Worrying about having all your eggs in one basket is one thing, but even if the merged system went under, I'm sure the combined management would be able to come up with some new way of getting mud to us...

View Profile of Maxmage      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Eric
cleric

Posted: 05-04-2002 03:37   
I think the merger would be a bad thing unless done right. The wiz styles on both incarnations are contrasting - would all the wizzes in both be offered places, who would be the arches, etc, etc. Lots of questions would need answering.

Some people like to play both - it's a different experience when playing .com and not .co.uk, or vice versa.

View Profile of Eric   Goto the website of Eric   ICQ status           Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Gothik
cabalist

Posted: 05-04-2002 10:36   
more non cents

I havent played at .com so can only imagine from other comments made that it has a slightly different feel to .co.uk, which I would think is a good thing.

There doesnt seem to be any obvious economic benefit in merging the two sites since, i imagine both sites run at a loss via the good will and madness of the 2 game managements. The two sites in a way are effectively merged anyhow, in the sense of shared players, quests, maybe wizzes, abc/muddled times etc, so it is difficult for me to see any big advantage in killing one site off.

If one of the muds ever gets popular 50 plus players a set etc for whatever reason, again I feel it would be nice to have somewhere to escape that is not so crowded, the current relatively small numbers of mudders gives a different feel to the wp manic days.

I dont think a merger would be a very bad thing, and sure it could be made to work, but guess I feel something subtle in terms of variety would be lost.

Not updating persona is bad enough to see in print, but not updating a reincarnation of mud2 would be a sad day indeed.

View Profile of Gothik   Email Gothik      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Droo
Wizard

Posted: 05-04-2002 11:07   

Its like this: MUD2 will always go on, regardless - always has always will. just look at our history. An idea would maybe get together and buy (between the rest of us) a server and run it for free?

D.

View Profile of Droo        Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Theman
cleric

Posted: 05-04-2002 17:53   
Sure MUD will go on regardless..it's not, for example, to do the following scene:

*Theman the warrior says "I think a merger would be a really good thing"
*Eric the protector says "Yeah I agree"
(----*fod all x me)
*You have been fodded by the game
Not updating persona.
Option: p
You cannot enter the game. The game is now in control of it's actions, it will not come out unless said merger is terminated.

MUD is hardly HAL now is it...

View Profile of Theman   Email Theman      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Marmite
cabalist

Posted: 06-04-2002 11:23   
I wonder if sites were merged whether wizzes would only be allowed to remain wizzes if they were so on BOTH sites to begin with.

View Profile of Marmite      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Billygoat
Wizard

Posted: 13-04-2002 19:06   
i think it would be a good idea to merge sites, the only problem being that there would be little security... if one mud2 died then they would all be dead. i think wizzes should all be put back on 0 in the case of a merger cos they would have to prove their worth and it would be great fun to see old and new wizzes battle it out (and maybe kick some of their arses). would be intresested to head foddy's view on the merger thing.

View Profile of Billygoat      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Foddy
Arch-Wizard

Posted: 21-04-2002 22:41   
Quote:

On 13-04-2002 19:06, Billygoat wrote:
i think it would be a good idea to merge sites, the only problem being that there would be little security... if one mud2 died then they would all be dead.

This is something which has been brought up a few times now. We certainly don't intend doing a vanishing act, but anything can happen - if it did, I'm sure Viktor (or someone else) would be more than happy to carry on.
Quote:

i think wizzes should all be put back on 0 in the case of a merger cos they would have to prove their worth and it would be great fun to see old and new wizzes battle it out (and maybe kick some of their arses).

It's something which would be fun to watch, but probably wouldn't be best for the game. There's more to being a wiz than practicing playing mortal all day - should the wizzes who don't be penalised?

Also, what about the mages, would they have their scores zeroed? If not, wouldn't they most likely make wiz before any of the old wizzes? That sounds like far too much work for the arch-wizzes!

And how do you stop a wiz who knows this is going to happen preparing for it by running up a mortal to 204,799 points?

I'm sure it'd be both interesting and fun, but probably won't happen. Sorry!
Quote:

would be intresested to head foddy's view on the merger thing.

There are definite points both for and against a merger. Some of them have been mentioned above, some probably will be below ...

However, I'm going to keep my personal view quiet for now. If I make it public, people may take that as the end of discussion and not share their views with us.

While I do have opinions, they're not fixed - I'm perfectly willing to be persuaded one way or the other. In the end, I believe both Viktor and I will do what's best for the community and MUD itself - whatever that is!

So, let's hear from the people who haven't spoken yet ... what do you think?

Foddy

View Profile of Foddy      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
Theman
cleric

Posted: 22-04-2002 07:32   
Quote:
Also, what about the mages, would they have their scores zeroed? If not, wouldn't they most likely make wiz before any of the old wizzes? That sounds like far too much work for the arch-wizzes!

Well...you've kinda answered your own question there. The solution would appear to be simple: Zero Everyone.

Karya
Witch

Posted: 22-04-2002 10:29   
But that would probably annoy so many people that we'd lose more players than we'd gain in merging.

View Profile of  Karya   Email  Karya      Edit/Delete This Post   Reply with quote
[New Topic]   [Reply]
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic

These forums may be read by anyone, but only registered mudII.co.uk
players may post. When posting, please refrain from behaviour
not tolerated in the game.

These forums are moderated.